Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hood Pins

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 01:06 PM
bolivianpimp
4th Gear Member

Question Hood Pins

Ok, so im about to order some hood pins so fix this earthquake i have on my hood everytime i get on the highway. So, someone suggested that i should get the Shelby hood pins. Is there any difference between the shelby hood pins and others? What would you get/recommend. Is there a big price difference?
Old 08-25-2008, 01:48 PM
Kamalyn
1st Gear Member

I've been looking at getting hood pins as well. I don't know a whole lot of differences, but I do know there is a BIG difference between the functional hood pins and the appearance hood pins. One is just glued/taped whatever to the hood and does nothing. So whatever you get - make sure they are functional =)
Old 08-25-2008, 02:30 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

The hood shake is a common issue and somewhat easily fixed by minor adjustments of the bumpers (about 1/4 to 1/2 turn increments "up"). As much as I love the look of the hood pins, I'd still attempt to resolve the issue before doing the install.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:43 PM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

once I get my conversion done, I'll be doing the Shelby hood pins on mine...and as far as difference, it depends on what you are comparing them to. The Shelby ones, IMO, are much nicer than the thin chrome ones that you can just pick up at your local auto parts store (sorry, don't mean to offend anyone).

They are probably a few bucks more, but anything worth doing, is worth doing right.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:37 PM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

Think chrome ones. What are you talking about. They sell POLE style at the local stores...

The Shelby ones are a lot more than a few bucks more, also by doing it with the ones from the auto store, the placement is a TON better...

Here's my how-to for $13.00 hood pins...

https://mustangforums.com/forum/show...345849#3876208
Old 08-25-2008, 04:57 PM
bolivianpimp
4th Gear Member

I have a carbon fiber hood though, im kind of scared i will crack it!
Old 08-25-2008, 05:18 PM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

Crack from what?
Old 08-25-2008, 05:19 PM
bolivianpimp
4th Gear Member

I heard that if you drill carbon fiber its more likely that it will crack from the drill. Im not sure but i was just going to pass that liability on to the shop and let them do it for $50. Is there really a difference between hood pins? Shelby ones are like $100!!! others are like 20?!?!?!
Old 08-25-2008, 05:25 PM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

Not true. CF has a resin that is the same that is used to hold fiberglass together. If it was to crack that would be nuts... My CF rad cover I drilled holes in for the hood pins and it didn't crack. It was again much like drilling through fiberglass.

Well the Shelby has a mounting bracket that poke through the front of your rad cover.
The others that you see for $20 well, $7 if you goto Pepboys you have to drill your own holes for, but if you use the locations that I said to use in my write-up/how-to then they will be in the perfect spot on a stock hood. Since you have an aftermarket hood, I would just have a shop weld one of the nuts to the top of the radiator support which will allow for more adjustment of the pins themselves. Something I didn't have to do since I have the stock hood and they fit fine.

You say you have an aftermarket hood... Can you post a pic?
Old 08-25-2008, 05:30 PM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Boozshey
Think chrome ones. What are you talking about. They sell POLE style at the local stores...

The Shelby ones are a lot more than a few bucks more, also by doing it with the ones from the auto store, the placement is a TON better...

Here's my how-to for $13.00 hood pins...

https://mustangforums.com/forum/show...345849#3876208
that's a very nice write up Boozshey!!

Quick Reply: Hood Pins