Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X or H Pipe

Old 08-27-2008, 10:44 PM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TOMBSTANG
I have had them both with 3 diff muffler set ups and I must say the x pipe is 10x more aggressive then the h. This is all o/r applications too. The x sounds ok ya it helps and makes it deep but I would take the x any day and that is what I did.

All depends on what mufflers you have also.

toss ya flows in the garbage too,lol whoever said they are really loud with a h pipe is wronggggggggg. my car with stock h and my old macs was alot louder even then flows with o/r h. guy in my condo has that set up and I hate it and there is nothign mean about it.

IMO
One, if you had the flows and X and thought that sounded good than you have no taste.
Two, saying the Flows/Pypes H is quieter than macs/stock H is ridiculous. I never said it was funny car loud I just stated when removing the cats the car gets loud.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:22 PM
r3velation
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimsGT
Yes, I believe so. Only the exhaust tips are different! Otherwise same stock exhaust as the GT
thanks. i was just wondering cause i was watching a video on youtube for exhaust comparison and there's a gt/cs with corsas and a regular gt with corsas and they sound a bit different. can an intake really change the sound of a car by that much?

reference:
gt/cs corsa http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVI1D6AzzBg
gt corsa http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPivq...eature=related

maybe i'm going crazy, but it sounds diff to me. well any input would be great thanks in advance!
Old 08-27-2008, 11:27 PM
saltydog1820
1st Gear Member

Stock mufflers... Off road H or X?
Old 08-27-2008, 11:46 PM
Whiteflash454
3rd Gear Member

honestly i have flow masters with bbk LT and bbk OR/X and I love the way it sounds

and VistaGT no offense but who are you to say that something sounds good and something doesn't everyone has there own opinions .you don't think it sounds good and I do.

To the OP if i were you I would do some research on youtube and some local Carshows check out what people have and make your decision based on that
Old 08-27-2008, 11:57 PM
ryanralston07
3rd Gear Member

I've heard H and X pipes with diff exhaust setups...and by far the X in person...videos don't do the X pipe any justice!
Old 08-28-2008, 12:53 AM
PennState
6th Gear Member

i love my h pipe.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:09 AM
TOMBSTANG
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by VistaGT
One, if you had the flows and X and thought that sounded good than you have no taste.
Two, saying the Flows/Pypes H is quieter than macs/stock H is ridiculous. I never said it was funny car loud I just stated when removing the cats the car gets loud.
lol never did I say I had flows or did I say they sound good, cause they dont. I am guessing that you havent heared to many diff set ups in person cause my car side by side with my macs and stock mid pipe was louder then my neighbors with o/r h and flows, he was even asking me if I had headers done.....

I have heared basically every set up there is and even in my youtube profile there are vids of almost every set up so my reasoning is far from ridiculous, I no longer have the macs so there is no reason for me to hype them up and boast my mac muffler crew crap . It is what it is and flows are passive as a **** even with a o/r set up.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:43 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by 07musclemustang
ok my 2 cents
Get a H if you have chambered muffs
Get a X if you have Glass packs aka MID MUFFS the only way to go IMO either magnaflow or pypes... if you go pypes get it professionally installed as they have crap fitment as i know first hand.
a x pype is better by design IMO it forces the gases to collide and causes an equal and balanced motor
A h pype will not function after 3k rpm the gasses bypass the mid pype and an unbalanced motor besides there is less backpressure on the exhaust valves. the valves seat better with an X
H's will have a less "balanced/ regular tone" where an X will sound balanced and percise and mixed with glass packs to minimize sound distortion or reverb to create a clean pure raw motor sound. yes it is more raw but thats better because you can actualy hear the motor vrs reverb in the muffs.
your choice but go X with straight throughs...
I so agree with the fitment of Pypes...
Approximate lol, with sh#tty clamps.

If it's any help, an o/r X pipes with flowmasters (2 chambers) under the floors, not axle back, was the best 3v engine I've herd so far.
Of course, it's very subjective since it's my humble opinion...
Old 08-28-2008, 09:16 AM
GT4HUTCH
2nd Gear Member

I am on my second xpipe on my S197. I had an o/r and when i got my LT's i got a catted x. I have a custome made exhaust with a set of pypes race pro m80s under the middle of the car. Out of the 4-5 (if you count the straight pipes i had make as one) exhaust systems i've run on this car, this one sounds the best. The mufflers being moved in front of the axle completely change the way a 3v sounds. Trust me i experimented for quite a while trying to find the sound i want. Just something to think about.

On to the subject at hand. I run xpipes on 2 of my mustangs. The third has no midpip (65 289) but I will fab up an xpipe for it when i get back to the states. I grew up hearing foxbodys with h pipes. Then when mod motored mustangs hit the streets, most were bolting up h pipes. It wasn't until the last 5-6 years that i started hearing mustangs with x pipes. I remember seeing an episode of horsepower tv where they swapped an h for an x on a 67 chevelle SS 396 and their dyno showed a few extra ponies.

The x flows better, merging the exhaust pulses from each bank more efficiently. When i was running an o/r with pypes violator axle back, if you listened at idle you could hear a faint howling sound (aside from the engine and exhaust note) which was the exhaust pulses flowing through the pipe and reverberating like a tuning fork. Kinda reminded me of the sound that the helicoptor on that old show "Air Wolf" used to make. Damn i revealed my age i guess. It wasn't loud, very faint, never got annoying....kinda cool actually.

I got rid of that set up because of the popping and gurgling sounds on deceleration. And because i got long tubes. I have an o/r x on my 5.0 with a mac cat back. Can't wait to hear that one with the new built motor and wicked street cam!!!

Xpipe brah!
Old 08-28-2008, 09:57 AM
Va. Stang
3rd Gear Member

I'm running the Magnaflow OR/X with axlebacks. Sounds better in real life and great on the road. Here's a sound clip of idle.
http://s187.photobucket.com/albums/x...t=100_2001.flv

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: X or H Pipe