Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keeping The Bumper Clean

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 11:33 AM
JoshyGT
3rd Gear Member

Default Help w/BUGS - Keeping The Bumper Clean

I drive my car almost 100 miles a day for work and it's black. Everyday when I get home I have dirt, some grass and maybe a bug or two on my front. I just had the GT500 conversion done and want to keep it perfect, what is the best thing to use for wiping it down at the end of the day?

Last edited by JoshyGT; 09-08-2008 at 05:32 PM.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:38 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

If it's just dust and small particles I use a california duster.

Bugs? As long as they haven't dried some quick detailer and a microfiber towel work good.

Dirt or mud stuck to it and you're probably best off just washing it. If it's only one panel you could try and mix up a small amount of rinseless wash and just do the single panel.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:46 AM
tungsten07
2nd Gear Member

Instant detailer FTW! I usually use meguiars but recentely have been using turtle wax ice instant detailer and I love it. As long as I keep up with it I really don't even have to wash the car a lot. If I go for a long drive I just hit the bumper up with some detailer and a microfiber cloth and it's good as new. If it's sitting for a few days I'll use the california car duster first and then hit up with the detailer. No need to wash the car!
Old 08-28-2008, 12:13 PM
gothamems
3rd Gear Member

3m clear bra!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!
Old 08-28-2008, 12:15 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

3m bra.. I wish. I bought mine used and it already had enough chips and nicks in the front end that I definitely couldn't justify that without a repaint of my hood and front bumper/air dam.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:47 PM
grampa_stang
4th Gear Member

+1 on the California duster and the Ice. The turtle wax Ice quick detailer blows away the meguires IMO. Oh, if you do need to get the dry bugs off...spray and let 'em soak awhile...they'll come off easier.

Seriously, we all want our babys chip/scratch free...but anything daily driven...well, it ain't gonna happen.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:50 PM
tungsten07
2nd Gear Member

i actually had to go out and use the ice detailer on my car after posting this and I still just can't get over how good it works!
Old 08-28-2008, 01:50 PM
pnut
2nd Gear Member

EVERY night, after the Mustang has cooled down, I gently wipe off the (dried and loose) bugs with a soft cloth.

Then I run a car duster over the whole thing.

Then I use Meguairs instant detailer on the bumper and headlights. I mist the whole area and let the detailer soften the bugs. If you let them sit more than one day, they dry on there are are much harder to get off. Same or next day usually they are pretty easy to get off.

A very good coat of wax will help keep the bugs from sticking and make it easy to get them off. It will also keep the rest of the Mustang very clean.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:54 PM
JoshyGT
3rd Gear Member

What is the best solution for getting the water off the car after it rains? (It does it quite frequently here in FL)
Old 08-28-2008, 08:12 PM
tungsten07
2nd Gear Member

dry all the water off with a California Water Blade (gets like 85-90% of the water off) and then finish the rest of the water off with something like the Absorber synthetic chamios. Finally, use an instant detailer like meguiars or turtle wax ice to remove all the water spots and make it smooth as glass again. Start to finish it should take you about a half hour tops.

Quick Reply: Keeping The Bumper Clean