Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear of car sliding?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 05:36 PM
Stage4
2nd Gear Member

Im losing my patience. Took off passenger LCA and everythign looks good. UCA looks/feels good. Drivers side LCA looks good, but i'm about to take that off. What next??
Old 09-10-2008, 05:43 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

The OEM Rubber used in the LCA and UCA are very forgiving but not very durable, rubber stretches over time (like a rubber band that's lost it elasticity) and I'm guessing that after getting beat up with the 4.10, your HP, and drag launches that the bushings are shot.

You need BMR or some type of aftermarket UCA and LCA assemblies that use Polyurethane bushings. Way more durable but a little harsher ride. I'm surprised with all of your mods that you haven't touched your suspension.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:49 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Seems like I've read a few complaints here about the BMR bushings cracking.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:53 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Man, if your rear suspension components are all in good order I understand your fear. Have you had this issue consistently since your rear axle/gear work? I dug this tidbit up.

"The only way that I know of that the axle could be moving in and out would be that there are some clutch discs missing from that side. The clutch discs space the axle gear away from the side of the differential case just right so that the axle is held in place without moving more than about 1/16 inch."
Old 09-10-2008, 06:01 PM
Stage4
2nd Gear Member

no - have had gears since about 1200 miles, i'm at 12,000 now and first noticed it at maybe 8000 earlier this year. The only things I have done since then were wheels/tires. I've also noticed my front end alignment is significantly off, pulls to the left. Could that be tied to this? It all started about the same time
Old 09-10-2008, 06:07 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

If you're not tracking correctly due to front end alignment being substantially off then yes, with your amount of torque it could be causing it. Are you really gunning it when it happens or does it occur at partial throttle too?

I would definitely get everything aligned before going any further. And get all your wheels re-balanced while you're at it. I just went thru something similar where I had vibrations at different speeds and a good alignment and wheel rebalancing cleared it up.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:11 PM
DarkFireGT
4th Gear Member

Have the wheels checked. From what you describe, if I'm reading it correctly, I had a similar issue. Mine was most noticeable at the end of the drag strip. I would let off the gas and the rear end would kick out a good foot or so. Downright scary. Turned out to be some off balanced wheels. I noticed as well when I hit bumps and down shifted on the street.

If that's not it, then it's gotta be your control arms.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:15 PM
Stage4
2nd Gear Member

Darkfire- that sounds exactly like what i'm experiencing. But i have no vibrations or anything to indicate unbalanced wheels. Wouldn't that show up? Did just balancing fix it?
Old 09-10-2008, 06:16 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Maybe you have a bent or fatigued control arm? Start with an alignment and wheel balance first, then I would think about scrapping those stock control arms for some strong chromoly ones with your power level for sure!
Old 09-10-2008, 06:23 PM
Stage4
2nd Gear Member

Lca's are BMR, and they are perfectly straight. UCA is stock, and if the alignment/balance thing doesn't work I guess that's next? After that? It would have to be axle

Quick Reply: rear of car sliding?