Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed JBA Long Tube headers on Sunday

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 12:13 PM
Red_Stallion
2nd Gear Member

Red face Installed JBA Long Tube headers on Sunday

A friend graciously loaned the use of his garage an tools as well as his mechanical services and we got to work around 11am. Everything went quite smoothly the only snag we hit was the bolt holes on the headers were too small and were binding on the bolts/studs. We had to drill them out and after that they slipped right on. Also, the oxygen sensors I ordered from Brenspeed had the wrong ends on them so we had to shave the tabs off the ends. We also installed the Prothane motor mounts at the same time. Didn't take too many pictures, but all in all not tooooo high on the difficulty, just incredibly tedious getting at some of the bolts. So after many beers and some pizza later everything was basically wrapped up around 10pm.

Sooo....the result....ridiculous...no make that ricockulously loud. Too loud I don't know what to do now. I mean I knew it would be much louder, but it's off the chart too much. Like to the point where I don't want to hammer on the gas and that's just plain no fun!! What can I do? I don't want to get in there and put the original parts back on. I have Flowmaster mufflers, should I put the stock ones back on? Is there some other product that exists like some kind of insert?

Help!
Old 09-01-2008, 12:55 PM
Hufenstang
4th Gear Member

I had your exact setup for awhile. You can either buy the h pipe with cats from jba or you can put the stock mufflers back on. The stock mufflers will really quiet it down some
Old 09-01-2008, 12:59 PM
Black3vGT
4th Gear Member

Buy some high flow cats.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:01 PM
kingsofcrunk
3rd Gear Member

trade me your headers/pipe for my stockers and walla...quiet!
Old 09-01-2008, 01:40 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

I know what you mean. It's music to my ears sometimes and like death metal when I'm in the mood for jazz at others. I really wish we could get some chambered mufflers under-car. The only thing I've found is Pypes mid-mufflers which somewhat muffle the loudness. And now I'm thinking of having a muffler shop weld in some small resonators to help even more.

I went through several different setups and the Pypes mid-mufflers definitely sound the best with longtubes and off road h-pipe. A couple of other resonators and it would be like beautiful music. I would recommend the pypes-mid setup for you first. Then some resonators if it's still too loud.

Last edited by Rubrignitz; 09-01-2008 at 01:43 PM.
Old 09-01-2008, 02:22 PM
abarker8541
3rd Gear Member

post some vids
Old 09-01-2008, 02:35 PM
whtcanbrwnd04u
5th Gear Member

SLP Loudmouths will solve your problem.
Old 09-01-2008, 02:54 PM
MUSTANGLOVER73
3rd Gear Member

get he catted h-pipe from JBA and it will quiet it down alot. I have the same setup with slp l/m's and it quieted down alot with the catted hi-flow h-pipe.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:06 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

I'm about to throw my catted JBA H-pipe back on for emissions testing in December. If I like the sound it will stay on.

However when I removed the catted pipe I noticed a big increase in "seat of the pants" acceleration and a +5whp increase in dyno-proved output.

I may just have to take the hit for sound quality.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:45 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

+1 high flow cats

Quick Reply: Installed JBA Long Tube headers on Sunday