Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to do when someone else takes out your 'stang's paint?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 03:12 PM
ensign_lee
3rd Gear Member

Default What to do when someone else takes out your 'stang's paint?

Well, it finally happened... *sigh*. Some careless person went and hit my baby with the side of their door...HARD. Enough to go through the clearcoat, through the paint, and all the way to the metal, creating a hole in my paint about 1 cm x 1cm, right above my wheel well.

I came out, saw the hit, saw it matched the paint color of their car, looked the passenger right in the eye (it would have been her door) before they drove off. Thinking back, I should run after them, knocked on the window and asked them to stopped, but damn: I didn't do any of that (stupid, I know).

So I got their license plate number. What now? Anyone have any sites where I can do a reverse license plate number search on the plate?

I did notice she was wearing a BP polo, which just so happens to be the same company I work for, and we have to register our vehicles to park in the garage. Hopefully, I can look it up that way tomorrow, but yeah. In the meanwhile, any recourse?

I did talk to the store that I'd just come out of, and alas, they do not have video camera surveillance of their outside parking long...

Any tangible ideas of how to deal with this would be most helpful. Thanks guys.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:31 PM
suoperdave84
4th Gear Member

I might not be the best person to ask this. If it was a guy I would wait a few weeks and when I found him again I would just stomp his *** into the asphalt without saying a word.

It's a chick, and she disrespected you and your car, so do the same to her. Wait a few weeks and when you see her car again, dump acetone all over her paint.

I really don't like the idea of messing with someone's car, but sometimes you gotta deliver a punch when you can't literally punch someone. People don't learn lessons unless you teach them.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:36 PM
suttanstyle
2nd Gear Member

Would this be considered a hit and run, possibly something covered under insurance?

I would look into filing a police report considering you have their license plate number.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:39 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Whatever you do don't "stomp the crap" out of them. For the love of God, is a dent in the car really worth going to jail over?
Old 09-01-2008, 03:39 PM
ensign_lee
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by suttanstyle
Would this be considered a hit and run, possibly something covered under insurance?

I would look into filing a police report considering you have their license plate number.
Right. So how would I go about doing this?

Best just to ask my insurance company about it tomorrow? I have a feeling the police would be like "wah?" if I came in and tried to report this, especially with no corroborating evidence.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:41 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

It's probably to late to file a claim with their insurance or get help from the police. The best results possible are going to be from finding the person and kindly asking them if they were responsible and if so would they mind paying for the repair.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:42 PM
suttanstyle
2nd Gear Member

I would contact your insurance company tell them the story and see what they say.
Old 09-01-2008, 04:30 PM
suoperdave84
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riptide
Whatever you do don't "stomp the crap" out of them. For the love of God, is a dent in the car really worth going to jail over?

Haven't been to jail yet. Like I said, people don't learn lessons anymore. It's because no one is afraid of any consequenses. If people won't respect other peoples' property, then they need a lesson in respect. They have to know that if you do the wrong thing to the wrong person, their disrespect is going to catch up to them.

I'm not telling you to do it. Just realize there are some of us who will not take sht from anyone. Period.
Old 09-01-2008, 05:53 PM
americaniron
5th Gear Member

If you have the license plate # then you can get their address from the DMV. They will charge you a fee of course.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:25 PM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

I would call the police and see what they say. They damaged your property, you established eye contact and they drove away, and you have a tag number

Quick Reply: What to do when someone else takes out your 'stang's paint?