Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how hard is the drapstrip on our cars?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 01:31 PM
tn_gt
3rd Gear Member

Default how hard is the drapstrip on our cars?

specifically is it really bad to run our cars with maybe only a 5 minute break or that in between (just talking about an eight mile) im running 9.01's pretty good at 83mph but its so much fun i just want to pull straight back in line and run again...how long should i wait between passes or whats a good routine to let my car have a break? or does it really even need a break....i go to 6150 rpms in first them about 6200 in second by the time i let off...any help is appreciated
Old 09-04-2008, 02:06 PM
MELLOWYELLOW06
6th Gear Member

I cant imagine it being any harder than aggressive driving on the streets. These cars are tough and designed to take it. If you do it all day, every day, it will eventually take its toll.
I really gotta take mine to the track one of these nights.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:59 PM
rford426
4th Gear Member

^^^me
too
Old 09-04-2008, 04:58 PM
tncruiser
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tn_gt
specifically is it really bad to run our cars with maybe only a 5 minute break or that in between (just talking about an eight mile) im running 9.01's pretty good at 83mph but its so much fun i just want to pull straight back in line and run again...how long should i wait between passes or whats a good routine to let my car have a break? or does it really even need a break....i go to 6150 rpms in first them about 6200 in second by the time i let off...any help is appreciated

was that your car running at crossville last sat. if not theres a dupe turning in the same times
Old 09-04-2008, 05:04 PM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

This question might be answered better in the street and strip section of the forum...but I am sure there are a few people here that could give you a more informative answers.
I would think there would need to be a little time in between runs to allow the motor/sc to disperse some of the heat generated on the runs.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:10 PM
Twinbo
1st Gear Member

With proper routine maintenance our cars should take it pretty well. If you are real serious about it maybe use synthetic motor oil (i believe the gear lube is already syn). Hot lapping it all night may break down regular motor oil and lead to wear. Other than that give it hell
Old 09-04-2008, 07:45 PM
DarkFireGT
4th Gear Member

I would definitely use synth oil for peace of mind, but otherwise, you aren't going to do anything detrimental to it. Hot lapping it isn't necessarily bad for the car, but these engines get heat soak really bad, so if you do hot lap, you're not going to see your best times. But if you're just wanting to have fun, go for it. Just make sure you're changing the oil a bit more often if you're running at the strip.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:41 PM
tn_gt
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tncruiser
was that your car running at crossville last sat. if not theres a dupe turning in the same times
yea man that was me, i didnt know you were there? i think im goin to maryville next friday or something...you should def come
Old 09-04-2008, 09:45 PM
Hufenstang
4th Gear Member

Yeah i love running my car over and over... hate waiting! I know my trasmision has to be doomed soon since all of my runs are on slicks though.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:48 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Slicks will break rear ends or trans or both at some point and maybe your LCA's etc.....street drag radials or street tires will be less hard on the drivetrain....JMO

Got your PM Hufenstang and good buy with the trans!

Quick Reply: how hard is the drapstrip on our cars?