Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Trouble- Hard to find reverse and 3rd gear feels funny (Hurst)...

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 01:33 AM
Eric805

Default Transmission Trouble- Hard to find reverse and 3rd gear feels funny (Hurst)...

Hi everyone,

I tried to search but had no luck finding answers to my new problems. Here it goes:

Since about 2 days ago I have been having problems getting into reverse, it is starting to take an effort to find it and it is obvious that there is something (wrong) has changed. Also 3rd gear feels very close, as far as 1st and 3rd gear. I have the Hurst shifter but since it is dark right now and I am pretty much just realising I have the problem, I have not even taken a look at the shifter yet. I am really hoping that my tranny is not going bad after 26,000 miles. I don't even get on the gas hard very often, especially lately. If anyone has had a problem like this or has any input, thanks in advance.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:56 AM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

The Hurst is stiff, reverse is harder to get into. Unless it wont go in, then you might have trouble. What do you mean by 3rd feels "close" to 1st?
Old 09-11-2008, 12:09 PM
VistaStangGT
1st Gear Member

I had this exact same issue after having 2nd gear in my trans rebuilt. I don't see torque limiters on your list but that's what was causing my issue. The trans shop tightened the torque limiters all the way, pulling the engine/trans all the way down. This misaligned the shifter. I adjusted the torque limiters to hold the engine/trans in the stock position.
If you don't have torque limiters, you might check the engine mounts. With the power you're putting down you might have a failed engine mount causing the engine to sit low and or crooked.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:30 PM
Eric805

Thanks for the replies.

VistaGT- The way it is acting now, it is obvious something is wrong, not just the normal stiff way the Hurst was shifting before. What I mean by 3rd feels close to 1st is when I shift into 3rd, it doesn't even feel like its going into 3rd, its easy to mistake and think I am downshifting, but it still has been going into 3rd at least for now.

VistaStangGT- I don't have after market torque limiters (I'm not sure what those are to be honest). What is it you mean by check the motor mounts? Could you let me know the best way to check them?
Old 09-11-2008, 08:31 PM
Eric805

Hi again,

I checked out the motor mounts but its hard for me to tell if something is wrong. These pics are of the passenger side mounts. The very bottom of the mount looks crooked as I pointed out in the first pic. I don't know if that is a problem or not! Where do motor mounts usually break?

I am hoping to get some opinions...
Old 09-11-2008, 08:46 PM
Hufenstang
4th Gear Member

If your having trouble getting it into gear at low speeds and low rpms you either got a warped flywheel/clutch plate or a throw out bearing problem usually..

If its hard to shift at high rpms then usually stiffer motor mounts and CHE K Member Brace with Engine Torque Limiters (This will prevent the engine/tranny from torquing to the right throwing the shifter out of alignment) are the way to go

hope this helps
Old 09-11-2008, 09:00 PM
08MachGT
2nd Gear Member

Default ford dealer

call your dealer, there are a couple of drivetrain/trans service bulletins
Old 09-12-2008, 07:09 AM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Eric805
Thanks for the replies.

VistaGT- The way it is acting now, it is obvious something is wrong, not just the normal stiff way the Hurst was shifting before. What I mean by 3rd feels close to 1st is when I shift into 3rd, it doesn't even feel like its going into 3rd, its easy to mistake and think I am downshifting, but it still has been going into 3rd at least for now.

VistaStangGT- I don't have after market torque limiters (I'm not sure what those are to be honest). What is it you mean by check the motor mounts? Could you let me know the best way to check them?
Yea you definitly have a problem. You could try calling up the shop you work with, or your dealer and get it sorted out
Old 09-12-2008, 08:28 AM
ink003
3rd Gear Member

this is probably too simple to be the case, but i'll mention it just on the off chance i'm right: similar thing happened to me a few months after i had my pro 5.0 shifter installed. as it turned out, the shifter arm had simply begun to come loose from its mounting arm. in other words, the bolts holding the two arms together had loosened up. have you checked that out yet?
Old 09-12-2008, 04:13 PM
Eric805

Originally Posted by ink003
this is probably too simple to be the case, but i'll mention it just on the off chance i'm right: similar thing happened to me a few months after i had my pro 5.0 shifter installed. as it turned out, the shifter arm had simply begun to come loose from its mounting arm. in other words, the bolts holding the two arms together had loosened up. have you checked that out yet?

This was the situation! I fell a little embarrased because I mean it felt so bad shifting I just wouldn't have thought one of the bolts in the shifter stick had come completely out would have caused those problems. It still had 1 bolt in and tight though! Now it is shifting cleaner than it was last week. That bolt must have been getting loose a little while now.

Quick Reply: Transmission Trouble- Hard to find reverse and 3rd gear feels funny (Hurst)...