Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pypes M-80 muffler placement?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 04:22 AM
TOMBSTANG
5th Gear Member

Default pypes M-80 muffler placement?

Hey guys I have the m-80 mufflers from pypes I am going to have welded in. I was looking at the MM kit to see where the mufflers are located.

Has anybody tried to weld the mufflers in before the X. I recall I think warmaching talking about trying to mount some kind of muffler on his down pipes.

I think I might try to mount these in front of the x just to see what it sounds like if its not to expensive to have them put in. I mean they are basically like cats/resonators so I dont see it been a problem or messing with flow or compression.

I am running slp lm right now with o/r x so it will be like im adding cats kinda......
Old 09-17-2008, 09:26 AM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

The M80s are located right under the gas tank........... I've never heard of anyone doing it, and don't really see why you would, but putting them where the cats were(on the downpipes) shouldnt be a problem. As you stated the cats are there from the factory so adding resonators provided they fit should just be like extremely high flow cats
Old 09-17-2008, 02:39 PM
TOMBSTANG
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by VistaGT
The M80s are located right under the gas tank........... I've never heard of anyone doing it, and don't really see why you would, but putting them where the cats were(on the downpipes) shouldnt be a problem. As you stated the cats are there from the factory so adding resonators provided they fit should just be like extremely high flow cats
Ya I know where they are located on the MM kit , just wanted to see if anybody had done anything diff with them. Location is going to change up the sound is why I want to try locating them soemwhere diff. Cant hurt to try, it will depend on the price of getting them installed though in the end.
Old 09-17-2008, 04:08 PM
VistaGT
4th Gear Member

Yea def, go for it
Old 09-17-2008, 05:27 PM
GTstangB.F.D.M.
5th Gear Member

hey man.. ya i dunno.. i also dont know that it would change the sound enough to be noticeably different or worth the time/money..

but you never know, the magnapacks placed as an axle back and the mid mufflers sound a little different..

btw.. im taking my pypes axle backs (muffler deletes) off my MM kit, and throwing my stocks back on with the glass packs from the MM's still installed.. should sound kina decent paired with the O/R H.. im also having the guy displace the M-80's so the trumpetting will hopefully go away!!!

ill post some vids..
Old 09-17-2008, 05:58 PM
SikO7GT
2nd Gear Member

Try it and post a vid!!
Old 09-17-2008, 06:06 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

Yeah, I was wondering what affect the crossover part of the exhaust would have on a pre-mufflered sound. I also am wondering how the sound would change if two mufflers were set up in staggered lengths. For instance, I was thinking of installing my stinger mufflers immediately after my crossover, but since the stinger cans are 5" in diameter, I'd have to stagger them apart by about 12-14" so they'd fit.....assuming they would not touch the undercarriage of the car anywhere.
Old 09-17-2008, 06:16 PM
1morepart
4th Gear Member

oh......there is no way to get that true 2v and 4v sound...save the money
2 cents
Old 09-17-2008, 06:37 PM
thewarmachine
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1morepart
2 cents
Someone at least made an effort....they just need to get some high-flow cats.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk2fF9lQJxU
Old 09-17-2008, 06:44 PM
TOMBSTANG
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1morepart
2 cents
who said anything about trying to get that sound, cause thats not what Im doing. More interested in getting rid of any trumpeting, I might have them installed staggered in the regular spot , Im not sure what Im going to do yet, 2morow I will find out, ill post a clip for you guys. either way they will be going in staggered or in before the x.

Quick Reply: pypes M-80 muffler placement?