Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Targa Top Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 01:26 PM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Hard Top Convertible

The photo of the toy Mustang is of what we call a T-Top. That has 2 separate sections.
A Targa top has one section that removes completely. See a photo of any Porche Targa.
Here's a quote from http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/enc...ody_style.htm:

.Quick Facts about: Targa top
A semi-convertible style used on some sports cars, featuring a fully removable hard top roof panel which leaves the A and B pillars in place on the car body. (e.g. Quick Facts about: Fiat X1/9
Quick Summary not found for this subjectFiat X1/9). Strictly, the term originated from and is trademarked by Porsche
Porsche 911 Targa, itself named after Targa Florio
A derivative arrangement, called a T-bar roof, has two removable panels and retains a central narrow roof section along the front to back axis of the car (e.g. Toyota MR2
Old 12-23-2005, 11:17 AM
HillsHovercraft

Default RE: Targa Top Convertible

Ford actualy offered a hard top convertable like a jeep or thunder bird for the 94-95 stangs, They where made by MascoTech and theres one for the 94-04 style cars on ebay, Dont know about a targa but this is a full roof made of fiberglass probably, that is a lift off and uses the stock convertable latch points! Been looking into this for a while as we have a 99 GT vert. Just FYI
Old 12-23-2005, 12:16 PM
huffhuff
2nd Gear Member

having owned several T-top corvettes and a 98 targa type i can attest they are wonderful and the cars are stiffer than convertibles. one thing though is the venturi effect having the top off at highway speed. anything not nailed down will be sucked out. i have had to turn around many a time to retrieve a $25 baseball cap or very important papers. LOL.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:46 PM
wildabouthorses
2nd Gear Member

Hmmmm check out the Thunderbird 05 5oth Anniversary Edition I believe it is. It is a convert with a hard top as an extra piece. We looked at one on the floor when looking at the Mustang. Loved the idea but couldn't afford that car. Whew just did a search on it, no wonder it was so costly...only 1,500 made
Old 12-24-2005, 02:03 AM
rattsj
2nd Gear Member

I can appreciate all of you guys enthusiasm about something like this. But I can assure you that it will look like crap.
T tops would be cool when they are not inserted but due to the width of the frame above the window whatever is there to fill the gap between the window and roof will not look right.
The Targa I have seen has the same effect as the T tops but in addition the rear of the targa where the roof and rear window comes up gives the appearance that it is higher than the windsheild.
The idea is awesome but the practical application is disapointing. I strongly advise waiting to see it in person before you have it done yourself. I would hate to see anyone ruin their car that they love so much.

Man I hate being the voice of reason I feel like a party pooper[:@]
Old 12-24-2005, 10:07 PM
lostsoul
4th Gear Member

Well.. we will never know if 2stangs do get out there and try it .. I want T-top.. I loved that in my 93 nissan 300zx TT.. I want T-tops .. ahhhhhhhh
Old 12-24-2005, 10:51 PM
Mister Roper
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: HillsHovercraft

...Been looking into this for a while as we have a 99 GT vert. Just FYI
Welcome to the forums HillsHovercraft but this may be posted in the wrong section. All of the earlier types mentioned are available for the '99-04 mustangs but they are still under development for the '05/6s.