Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flowmaster American Thunder

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 05:38 AM
nickbrace
2nd Gear Member

Default Flowmaster American Thunder

Hey all,

After ALOT of research and thinking about which mufflers to go for I finally decided on the Flowmasters, was gonna go Magnaflow but too many people said they were not loud enough and there wasnt enough difference in sound, other one I was looking at was the SLP Loudmouth but that is maybe a little too loud for me, especially inside the car!

My flowmasters arrived yesterday from the US, took 3 days to get here and as soon as they arrived I got them put on - I couldnt believe the difference in the sound and neither could the guys at the exhaust place.........there is a big difference in the stock mufflers and Flowmasters, there have been so many opinions on this subject that I just wanted to give you my opinion! These things are loud and angry!!!!!!!!!!

Nick

Old 05-19-2005, 10:42 AM
Spencer069
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Flowmaster American Thunder

how easy was it to put on? what was the cost? and is it a REALLY loud tone or just a improvement?
Old 05-19-2005, 10:58 AM
jchittick
3rd Gear Member

I have them on my 03 GT and absolutely love them! I am puting on a Bassani X pipe this weekend so hopefully it will sound meaner.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:04 AM
nickbrace
2nd Gear Member

As far as putting it on I took it to my local exhaust place as I know the guys and I knew they wouldnt charge me much (equiivelent of 20 bucks so cheap!!!) plus its way easier to fit something like this if its up on a lift! It took them around 35 minutes I guess, I overheard them say it was straight forward.

As for the important bit......is it loud - there is a noticeable difference - all 7 of the guys who work at the garage heard a completely different exhaust after it was fitted and we all agreed that it was deeper and angrier than the stock exhaust. My neighbour knew somethin was up cause he heard me drive into our house and came over to ask what I had done, hehe!!!

I would say its as loud as it can be without going up to the SLP Loudmouth which doesnt have mufflers as such but just pipes (thats my understanding of it anyway).....problem with that I was warned is that the inside of the car would be so damn noisy and annoying on long trips, etc.

Fitting it - I am sure you could do it easily, only a useless son of a B like me would pay for it to be fitted

See below for back of my car - you will see how it looks buddy!

[IMG]local://upfiles/16568/87D7DB8DE1624476A6411E2FFB219935.jpg[/IMG]
Old 05-19-2005, 11:31 AM
netspider
1st Gear Member

Nick thanks for the info and congratulation's on the new sound. I have a few questions as well, I have a 05 Screaming Yellow Vert and with the stock exhaust I seem to have a layer of BLACK dust on my rear end (lol) by the time I get her back in the garage. Will a aftermarket system make this better or worse? I want it to sound mean, but not have everyone look at me when I am idolling down my street in the am.

Thank you all in advance

Dan
Old 05-19-2005, 11:39 AM
nickbrace
2nd Gear Member

Hey Dan,

Sounds like you want it to sound mean but not too loud.....you sound like you want the exact same thing I wanted then - I wanted that sound, especially when starting the engine up but I didnt want a really noisy environment inside the car!!! It will get people to look at you though but not everyone - even with stock mufflers though alot of people watch you drive because this car is so damn good looking, so if its lack of attention you are after I would sell the mustang and buy a Taurus, hehe...seriously though - I think this sounds just right for you buddy, dont buy the SLP Loudmouth then as it sounds like that would be too loud for you!

As for the black dust - I have no idea if an aftermarket product such as this will improve this or not, others who read this might be able to help more with that question!

Nick
Old 05-19-2005, 11:55 AM
netspider
1st Gear Member

Thank you Nick, I am looking for a sound that will fit my age, if that makes any sense. I can't see having my two boys in the back seat ( yes they fit ) if they cross there legs with a car you can hear 1/2 mile away. I want them to want me to drop them off at school if you know what I mean. Great find on the mirrors.

Dan

[IMG]local://upfiles/16464/BB03C0ACFE1041BCB4CA23D34F14CE58.jpg[/IMG]
Old 05-19-2005, 12:14 PM
mauiboy
2nd Gear Member

I've heard the same thing about the MAC exhaust, mean sound not too loud. Undecided MAC or Flowmaster?.....

[IMG]local://upfiles/16389/468469BA6E5A4E1CBAFFCB635D323441.jpg[/IMG]
Old 05-19-2005, 12:20 PM
nickbrace
2nd Gear Member

I dont think there is a hell of alot of difference but I have been told the Flowmaster is a little louder.....have you been on any websites and listened to exhaust sounds?? I cannot remember the name of the website now but maybe someone else can help, I did go on one site and compared a few difference sounds though!
Old 05-19-2005, 12:27 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: netspider

Thank you Nick, I am looking for a sound that will fit my age, if that makes any sense. I can't see having my two boys in the back seat ( yes they fit ) if they cross there legs with a car you can hear 1/2 mile away. I want them to want me to drop them off at school if you know what I mean. Great find on the mirrors.

Dan

[IMG]local://upfiles/16464/BB03C0ACFE1041BCB4CA23D34F14CE58.jpg[/IMG]
Now see, you are just not looking at it correctly. Get exhaust loud enough, you don't have to listen to the kids when they are in the back seat!

Quick Reply: Flowmaster American Thunder