Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Snow Performance Methanol Injection

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 04:54 PM
cobra443
4th Gear Member

Default Snow Performance Methanol Injection

I just finished reading the "Get your drink on" article out of the new MM&FF (fresh out of the mail box) The article discusses meth injection vs. race fuel (specifically 117octane) Results show near idential power gains. Meth make 1rwhp more and race fuel makes 1rwtq more. Irregardless of the result the article states that since the meth drastically reduces inlet temps it greatly reduces the risk of detonation. Also allowing to run more timing resulting in more power without using a smaller pulley. Basically I just want to know if anyone is running one of their systems. I contacted them and they recommended their Stage 2 Boost Cooler kit for my application. With a price of 439.00 it is very tempting. What are all of your opinions?

BTW the new issue has some good stuff!! As always.
Old 09-22-2008, 05:35 PM
TJ
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cobra443
I just finished reading the "Get your drink on" article out of the new MM&FF (fresh out of the mail box) The article discusses meth injection vs. race fuel (specifically 117octane) Results show near idential power gains. Meth make 1rwhp more and race fuel makes 1rwtq more. Irregardless of the result the article states that since the meth drastically reduces inlet temps it greatly reduces the risk of detonation. Also allowing to run more timing resulting in more power without using a smaller pulley. Basically I just want to know if anyone is running one of their systems. I contacted them and they recommended their Stage 2 Boost Cooler kit for my application. With a price of 439.00 it is very tempting. What are all of your opinions?

BTW the new issue has some good stuff!! As always.

Cobra443 this is just imo I was going to go meth injection but after research decided not to. I am sure others members might have a different opinion or could add more info but this is just my opinion.

Positives
Will lower ACTs up to 30-40degrees depending on current acts.
Will enhance/raise the octane level of 93 fuel
You can run more timing due to above equal more power.
You also protect yourself against bad fuel to a degree.

Negatives
IMO risk for failure on a 3v was not for me in the end.

You will need a ACT sensor for safety measure for the tune and there are safe guards if it fails ACT’s will go up which in turn timing will be pulled in the tune to stop a fatal situation, the question is the timing pulled fast enough to stop a motor from blowing due to going lean?

I have heard/read about failures (possibaly due to meth injection)where they lost the motor and was enough for me to say no.

On the other hand I could see using meth injection but I would not increase timing for the added power meth would give you. I could see using it safely witout risk just for the added lower ACT’s it would give (if your temps are on high side to begin with or if it is worth the decease you will get) which alone would add some power also would be added insurance to protect against bad fuel but would not increase timing imo.

One guy you might want to talk to is Lidio from alternative auto he ran it in both a Vortech s/c 05 stang and a Whipple s/c S197 Stang. Both cars went high tens and both blew their motors have no facts it was due to meth. But one member here did say it was a meth failure on the Whipple car but I do not know this is a fact per hear say. He was pushing both cars Whipple was 17-19psi I can’t remember the Vortech for sure want to say 16psi.

The guy to talk to is Lidio running meth on a 4.6 3v if your are seriously considering it.

Last edited by TJ; 09-22-2008 at 05:44 PM.
Old 09-22-2008, 05:44 PM
cobra443
4th Gear Member

I am planning you using the Meth injection only to decrease the Inlet temps. I do not plan on adding timing or upping the boost. My bad to not metioning this before. I do appreciate you input. I may contact Lidio to get his input as well.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:14 PM
TJ
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cobra443
I am planning you using the Meth injection only to decrease the Inlet temps. I do not plan on adding timing or upping the boost. My bad to not metioning this before. I do appreciate you input. I may contact Lidio to get his input as well.

One other thing to keep in mind if I remember correctly when running meth (enhances/raises the oct) it will richen you normal AFR so it will need to be leaned out. Now if the meth system fails on wot you go lean now there might be a safety measure than can be built into the tune that can adjust the afr I can't remember ( I know there is one for timing per acts) but does it adjust it in time..

But double check with Lidio on this.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:22 PM
EagleStroker
5th Gear Member

Let me know what you find out on this one