Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Burnout Advice on ET streets

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 09:58 PM
Yonco
3rd Gear Member

Default Burnout Advice on ET streets

So i had norwalk raceway to myself on friday. A 1/4 mile track with 4 other buddies for 6 hours. It was originally a 30 person event( everyone pitched in 50$), but after a rain date change and people dropping out, only 5 cars showed up. The track was VHT sprayed and i was alowed to do as many runs as possible. I ended up letting the car cool and still did 35 runs on friday. My question comes about my burnout. After i got home i was watching my vids and noticed that on 2/3 of my burnouts, my passenger was barely even lighting up or not at all, and i didnt even have a clue when i was there( it looked like it was smoking) but from the videos i can see i had a lot of 1 wheel peels. This is the first time i have ran on MT ET street radials and im not sure if i am doing something wrong. I did use the waterbox for a roll through, or a slight spin then line locked and dumped the clutch from ~5000k rpm in first( some second too) just to light them up. What could be the problem if they are not always going up evenly. It was deffinatly noticable that when i didnt have a good burnout i only got 1.85-1.9 60's and then with a good burnout i got a 1.77 and ran a 12.93 @105.9 It was a fun time and i learned a lot, burned off a hell of a lot of tires, i just need to know how to dial in my burnout to be more consistant. Now im even more into wanting harder launches! Im hoping to get some 4.10s installed soon and put on a UCA( still a tad bit of wheelhop sometimes) then on to shocks/springs. When i was launching, i found it best to just drop the clutch from 5000~ RPM on my launch. If i slipped the clutch i had slower 60's if i dropped it at a lower RPM, it would bog. With a High rpm dump it would squeal for a sec, then grip and off i went, they really hooked when when i did a good burnout. Heres a pic of some rubber after i got done, the rubber looked pretty even from side to side, even tho they wernt as even.

btw, the rubber just wiped right offlater that night after i sprayed it with windex and wiped it right off. The whole day i was right at 13.05 and i just wanted to dip into the 12's so i was pretty happy Heres a vid of the best run i did and the burnout wasnt even great, but atleast they both spun 50% of the time. And i notice it wont chirp third when i get them hotter after a good burnout also. Tell me what you think, and i really love how this car sounds when its cruising down the 1/4 from behind, the vid just doesnt do justice! -Jon

http://s76.photobucket.com/albums/j2...=06GT12SEC.flv

Last edited by Yonco; 09-27-2008 at 10:02 PM.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:54 PM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

I use M/T ET Radials 305/45/18 and I roast the krap out of them .
I just get them barely wet and burn them for 10 seconds up to 6000 RPM, I was getting 1.58 sixty foot times.
My car has way more rubber on the side after a day at the track. Heat them up real good for best results.
Old 09-28-2008, 01:15 PM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

well first in that vid I don't see enough of a burn out. you really want a 2nd gear burnout (best if you have 3.73+ gears) and get the MPH to 50-55 area for 3-4 seconds. you're letting the rpm drop too much and losing some tire rotation.

as far as the one wheel issue. could be your rear end diff is on its way out, I'll presume its the stock unit.
Old 09-28-2008, 02:07 PM
cobra443
4th Gear Member

35 Runs! That pony got a workout. I bet that was a blast though. Good time!
Old 09-28-2008, 02:17 PM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

its your clutch packs in your rear end causing the one wheel peel.

looks like your running the same time as me when i had just cai/tune and the same tires. its a very good time. from that video, you could probably be a bit more aggressive on launch. looks like from the picture the tires are at about 18-20 psi? you could go lower. shift a little faster, you can do it just practice incessantly haha. your car sounds like a ****in beast, gotta love those boomtubes.

here's what you do for a PROPER burnout on these tires.

with your stock 3.55's, i wouldn't reccomend a 2nd gear burnout unless your sure your clutch can handle it. its not necessary though.

drive around the waterbox, then reverse into it. spin the tires for like 5 revolutions in the waterbox (no brakes) to get them evenly wet, then roll out of it. start a burnout. do a brakestand, holding at 5500-6000 rpm until you see thick white smoke, about 5-10 seconds, then roll out of it. do a little "mini launch" to get a gauge for how your hookin.

as for the launch, they're still debate. in the past i was a complete chicken. for the times in my sig, i just dumped at 3500 rpm and bogged, getting a 1.949 at best. i was terrified of breaking something. theres debate over slipping the clutch vs. dumping it. i say dump it. my friend has 4.10's, 125 shot, and lowering springs and he got a 1.68 time on et/streets (bias ply) with no other suspension mods, by just dumping at 5500.

if your tires and clutch are up to the task, i say dump it. when i go back to the track and have the ***** to do what it takes, i'm gonna see if i can pull some respectable times with my new mods and everything.

also, when you shift, most people put the clutch all the way down, get it into gear, then almost like freeze up. you gotta practice the reflexive clutch release and gas SLAM. if your not aggressive enough with the gas on the way back, the engine bogs a little. just practice it. also, where are you shifting? heres what i reccomend.

1st-2nd: 6500.
2nd-3rd: 3rd is so far from 2nd, i reccomend 6700-6800 to get the most out of the next gear.

and, if you find yourself above 6500 at the traps in third, then shift to fourth at 6250. third to fourth actually allows powershifting, plus fourth is close enough that you can shift a little lower. your trap speed will thank you.

good luck dude!

btw......don't you just love the way those m/t streets look?
Old 09-28-2008, 02:21 PM
ricekiller06
2nd Gear Member

o man you need to be sure that there is enough water on both tires
cause if you keep doing that youll blow up your rear end, i just got done doing that

your spinnin the clutches in the posi,

and your a GT you should be able to get a really good burnout in second, once you get them lit at 50mph like the other guy said you should be able to roast them nicely

but if you do feel one wheel hook before the other just get off the throttle,
pretty much if you feel any part of your burnout start to hook let off
Old 09-28-2008, 02:36 PM
ricekiller06
2nd Gear Member

i just took a look at you video, why do you pull so far out in front of it??
there is no need for that, cause you want quite a bit of water when you start
you will burn the water off

and i have a question for americanmuscle4.6gt, why do rev your car so high? you do realize after the redline you lose power right? try shifting earlier at about 5700 or 6000, ill bet you find good deals. there is no point in running the redline that far or even at all, you just lose power
Old 09-28-2008, 02:45 PM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ricekiller06
i just took a look at you video, why do you pull so far out in front of it??
there is no need for that, cause you want quite a bit of water when you start
you will burn the water off

and i have a question for americanmuscle4.6gt, why do rev your car so high? you do realize after the redline you lose power right? try shifting earlier at about 5700 or 6000, ill bet you find good deals. there is no point in running the redline that far or even at all, you just lose power
well, for a combination of reasons. 1; these 3v motors really do make good power above 6000 with a tune...........also, the reason for going so high in 2nd is because when you shift, you'll be right in the powerband for 3rd. otherwise, since 3rd is so long, you bog and are out of the powerband for longer than it takes to go the extra 500 rpm in second. trust me, i've seen the dyno charts and i've determined it's worth it. 5700-6000 definetly is wayyyy to early. on a 2v, it'd be perfect. but not a 3v with a tune and some mods.
Old 09-28-2008, 03:24 PM
1morepart
4th Gear Member

american4.6
what do you recommend for shifts with 4:10's and manual tranny......tuned car(bama)
what is a good launch rpm???i have those same tires
Old 09-28-2008, 03:28 PM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1morepart
american4.6
what do you recommend for shifts with 4:10's and manual tranny......tuned car(bama)
what is a good launch rpm???i have those same tires
for 4.10s.....idk probably about 6300 in first, 6400 in second, then if you have to go to 4th, 6200. you can shift lower because with 4.10's you can be worried about staying in the powerband, not whether the gears are too long. thats my guess. but play around with it.

if your tires are at like 14 psi and heated properly, i'd say depending on the track anywhere from 3800-5200. but play around with it.

Quick Reply: Burnout Advice on ET streets