Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Repainted rotors and calipers

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 02:53 PM
sevenleaf
3rd Gear Member

Default Repainted rotors and calipers

I put some clearcoat on my rotors which started to peel stupid me so I repainted them today along with the calipers. The front 2 calipers look awesome by the 3d and 4th the stupid paint brush started to lose hairs and started to get really annoying.

Ignore the paint on the rotors it will come off, I had to move the car over so both cars would fit in the garage.

Before

After

Last edited by sevenleaf; 09-28-2008 at 02:56 PM.
Old 09-28-2008, 03:51 PM
Johnboy7701
4th Gear Member

Why did you clearcoat the rotors doesnt it have to have metal to metal contact in order for them to work correctly....
Old 09-28-2008, 04:25 PM
Rocket Ray
2nd Gear Member

What kind of paint did you use? I used the G2 stuff, but I have plenty of brushes around the house so that wasn't a problem. I painted mine in the spring, haven't had a problem yet.
Old 09-28-2008, 04:27 PM
sevenleaf
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Johnboy7701
Why did you clearcoat the rotors doesnt it have to have metal to metal contact in order for them to work correctly....
The brake pads don't touch the entire rotor it's the thin strip of metal.

The car sat outside for a month while I had the transmission shipped to California and back. I wasn't happy with that. The rotorpros rotors started to distort in color. I sanded them spray painted them silver then did a coat of clear coat. Then after time the clear coat started to peel off.

So I decided to sand and re-paint them. Looks so much better and won't peel. I used 1000 degree paint this time with no clear coat!

Last edited by sevenleaf; 09-28-2008 at 04:30 PM.
Old 09-28-2008, 04:28 PM
sevenleaf
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rocket Ray
What kind of paint did you use? I used the G2 stuff, but I have plenty of brushes around the house so that wasn't a problem. I painted mine in the spring, haven't had a problem yet.
dupli-color
Old 09-28-2008, 05:26 PM
GrayPony
4th Gear Member

The last pic looks like you painted the pad contact surface... or is it some kind of reflection?
Old 09-28-2008, 06:44 PM
Johnboy7701
4th Gear Member

Yeah didnt mean to come off harsh just looked like the rotor had something on it...
Old 09-28-2008, 07:40 PM
sevenleaf
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by GrayPony
The last pic looks like you painted the pad contact surface... or is it some kind of reflection?
The reflection is really bad, I used a flash when I took the pictures, I painted everything but not the contact surface. I painted the pins that hold the brake pad in I didn't care, it looks better all black anyways.

Originally Posted by Johnboy7701
Yeah didnt mean to come off harsh just looked like the rotor had something on it...

No problems, I knew someone was going to ask.
Old 09-29-2008, 06:23 AM
NJBLK07GT
2nd Gear Member

They look good. You might want to add some decals like I did. They get lots of attention at shows and cruise nights. Got them from Grabberpony.com Added them the last time I had the tires off to rotate them.
Attached Thumbnails Repainted rotors and calipers-frtbrk.jpg   Repainted rotors and calipers-rearbrk.jpg  
Old 09-29-2008, 07:08 AM
sevenleaf
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by NJBLK07GT
They look good. You might want to add some decals like I did. They get lots of attention at shows and cruise nights. Got them from Grabberpony.com Added them the last time I had the tires off to rotate them.
How long do the decals stay on?

On another note one of the rotors started to bubble WTF. I cleaned them with brake cleaner sanded cleaned again allowed to dry for a while then painted. What A PITA I think I might ditch these and order a new set from a different company at this point.

Quick Reply: Repainted rotors and calipers