Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter Prep

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 01:56 PM
Elwood
2nd Gear Member

Default Winter Prep

I was planning on storing my 07 GT in the garage for winter. Living in Edmonton, snow could come basically any day now and last until March. However, nobody I know really does this for their vehicles so i was just wondering what sort of steps you have to take. I figure you need to put some gasoline stabilizer in the tank, cover her up with a tarp, and start her up every once in a while.
Questions:
-Any other steps I have to take other than those listed above?
-How often should I start her up?

Also, I am due for another serivce, well basically right now. My last service was the major safety inspection so this one would just be an oil change and a basic inspection. Is it worth doing this? I mean, they assume I will be driving when it is cold, so they'd put in "winter oil". But since i won't be driving around until it gets moderately warm again, is this service even worth it until next year?
Thanks for your help!
Old 10-07-2008, 02:07 PM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

I've put my '05 convertible away the last three winters indoors. Clean it first, then fill the gas tank and add gas stabilizer. Some disconnect the battery, but I never have, nor have I put in on blocks. I do keep out the critters by blocking the tailpipes and putting a moth ball block under the car, but more out of the habit from when I stored a '99 convertible outside.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:41 PM
crazyassracer
2nd Gear Member

Man, just slap on some performance winter tires, drop some weight in the trunk and drive that stang all winter long!
Old 10-07-2008, 03:46 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

I would avoid the tarp. To abrasive.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:18 PM
Brilliant09GT

Indeed like Riptide said, avoid the tarp if you love your paint. I would invest in a good cover if its going to be in the garage. If you plan on keeping the car for a couple years it would be worth it.

Im also going to do this, and ive never stored anything in the winter. This is my 3rd car. My 1st one I drove in the winter (Kia, wasnt worth storing), my 2nd one I drove in the winter (Audi, was ment for the winter lol), and this one will be stored for sure. It wont see snow thats for sure. So I imagine you can get the gasoline stabalizer at like WalMart? I was also planning on just starting it up every weekend and let it idle in the garage for a while. Ill still be installing parts through the winter (its going to be a totally different car by the time summer comes again) so ill want to hear those anyway lol.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:22 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Stabil is a good gasoline stabilizer from what I have read.

http://www.goldeagle.com/sta-bil/index.htm

Americanmuscle sells covers for your car. Wash it off, dry it thoroughly, and then put the cover over it. Should not get any scratches that way. Also if the car doesn't need a wash then make sure you at least dust it off before putting the cover over it.

I plan on driving the car during the winter. Just sparingly. As long as there isn't ice on the roads or snow in the air I will take it out for a good twenty miler to stretch it's legs. Hopefully at least once every two weeks. Screw storing it entirely if I can avoid it.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:36 PM
Elwood
2nd Gear Member

Okay, thanks for the input everyone. I would kinda like to drive it in the winter, but it gets pretty gnarly up here sometimes and I don't have the money for winter tires really (University income ftl). I have winter transport lined up anyway. '96 Caravan FTW!
Old 10-07-2008, 05:04 PM
Lethaldosage423
4th Gear Member

Your going to miss her but i love the fact that my stang has never seen snow! the salt on the roads kills the paint and thats when the rusting starts!

Definatley avoid the tarp!!! invest in a cover...100 bux will get you a nice one....Clean her before as to get off any grit that may rub while under the cover. and just make sure every thing is sealed up..

Oh and before starting her, check under your air filter...you may get mice nesting there!
Old 10-07-2008, 05:04 PM
Brilliant09GT

LOL @ '96 Caravan. Hey do what you have to to get around in the winter.

I cant drive mine during the winter because of the way Idaho takes care of the roads. Lets just say they dont. Their solution to snow and ice is spray sand and rocks all over the road. Screw getting my paint all messed up from all the rocks and crap on the road.

Whats wrong with not using gas stabilizer? Does the gas get bad over time? Im guessing thats it.
Old 10-07-2008, 05:09 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Originally Posted by Brilliant09GT
LOL @ '96 Caravan. Hey do what you have to to get around in the winter.

I cant drive mine during the winter because of the way Idaho takes care of the roads. Lets just say they dont. Their solution to snow and ice is spray sand and rocks all over the road. Screw getting my paint all messed up from all the rocks and crap on the road.

Whats wrong with not using gas stabilizer? Does the gas get bad over time? Im guessing thats it.
Yup gas will change over time and if running a 93 tune this will help to preserve the gas in the tank until spring. If it is just for 3 months or so don't worry about using it... I would use it if storing over 6 months to a yr or more.

Quick Reply: Winter Prep