Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio Install Help PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 09:12 PM
ReaperGT
4th Gear Member

Default Radio Install Help (157db where are you?)

I was installing my new radio today and after I got the harness all wired up and everything I plugged it into the car and then into the radio and my new radio does not turn on. My dad installed the exact same radio in his f150 and it works perfectly. I tried switching the harnesses and radios between the cars to see if my radio/harness was broken but it still did not work. Is there a wire I need to switch on the harness to work properly with the shaker or am i doing something else wrong. Another thing I noticed is that when i pulled the shaker wiring diagram off a forum(It was labled as a shaker) But on the top of the diagram is says delphi(the stock f150 radio is also a delphi part) But when I pulled out my radio it doesnt say delphi anywhere on it, just says ford. Does anyone have any ideas that might help me? I am trying to get this thing hooked up tonight. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by ReaperGT; 10-09-2008 at 12:05 AM.
Old 10-09-2008, 12:04 AM
ReaperGT
4th Gear Member

Ok this is what im talkin about. When I plug the stock radio into the car, it works fine which tells me there is a problem with how my wires are attached to the wiring kit. I took a pic of the connector that the main unit connects to. Which one of these is where the main power is fed to the radio?

Pics of my harness to follow soon
Old 10-09-2008, 12:18 AM
wicked stang
2nd Gear Member

Did your stock headunit turn off when you opened the door to get out? Mine did that, its an 08.

Neither of those wires power the radio up. What you have labeled ground is the ground and what you have labeled battery is the constant power. The red wire in your harness is what needs power to turn on your headunit.

If your stock head unit turned off when you opened your doors then you have to run the red wire from your harness to the passenger side fuse box. I can look in my car tommorow to see which fuse you connect the wire to.
Old 10-09-2008, 01:43 AM
ReaperGT
4th Gear Member

Thanks so much wicked. So ill basically keep my wiring how it is but ill take the splice off the red wire and run the wire all the way to the fuse box? Ill keep checking back tomorrow for when you check your car out. Here are some pics of how my radio is wired, don't know if they help at all but i figured id show you to make it a little easier.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:49 AM
ReaperGT
4th Gear Member

Anybody?
Old 10-09-2008, 11:14 AM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

Let me get a few things strate first. You said you took this "new" radio over and pluged it into your fathers wiring harness in his F-150 and the unit did not come on? If that is true you have a bad radio, if you have not done this, do it and see if your radio powers up in his truck this will help me figuer out whats wrong with yours
Old 10-09-2008, 12:01 PM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

Also, on your wiring question. On the picture where your showing us the back side of the harness/adaptor plug with all the wires coming out of it. From the left had side as showen in the picture the "Yellow" wire is constant on or Hot wire, The "Red" wire is your switched 12volt power(This is the wire that tells your radio to come on) (This wire is only hot when the car is on or the key is to "accessory on" position. The next cluster of wires in the middle is where you will find the wires that turn on amps, power antennas, radios light control and ground wire ect. The last group of wires are all your speaker out put wires.

Last edited by CutterWolf; 10-09-2008 at 12:37 PM.
Old 10-09-2008, 12:24 PM
dkersten
2nd Gear Member

what is the pink wire on the new radio for and why is it hooked to ground? It has a fuse on it..? As far as I know, there is nothing special about the power wires in a Ford vehicle.. There is a 12v constant (yellow), a 12v switched (red), and a ground (black). On some Ford vehicles the ground is not connected anywhere and requires you connect to chassis (factory makes contact on the support bracket), but I am not sure on the s197.. I have been out of the professional install business for almost 10 years and have yet to do a stereo in my mustang.

And to be sure, you are not getting a powerup on the new unit? no lights or anything?
First thing I would do is meter the yellow, red, and black, but if you don't have a meter or a test light then that would be tough..
Old 10-09-2008, 12:38 PM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dkersten
what is the pink wire on the new radio for and why is it hooked to ground? It has a fuse on it..? As far as I know, there is nothing special about the power wires in a Ford vehicle.. There is a 12v constant (yellow), a 12v switched (red), and a ground (black). On some Ford vehicles the ground is not connected anywhere and requires you connect to chassis (factory makes contact on the support bracket), but I am not sure on the s197.. I have been out of the professional install business for almost 10 years and have yet to do a stereo in my mustang.

And to be sure, you are not getting a powerup on the new unit? no lights or anything?
First thing I would do is meter the yellow, red, and black, but if you don't have a meter or a test light then that would be tough..
That "Pink" wire I'm pretty sure is the power antenna wire which he does not have but... And on your ground question, on the S197 its best to make your own ground to insure you have a good one. I've installed two diffrant radios in my car and on the first one I made my own ground and it was great. But on the second one I used the factory grounding wire and as soon as I turned on my head unit I got a pop noise (even after using a voltage regulator on the amp turn on wire) so I once again used my own ground and problem solved.

Last edited by CutterWolf; 10-09-2008 at 12:43 PM.
Old 10-09-2008, 12:43 PM
dkersten
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by CutterWolf
That "Pink" wire I'm pretty sure is the power antenna wire which he does not have but...
usually pink is cell mute or a parking brake (for gps and video units), and blue is typically power antenna, blue with white stripe amplifier turn on.. If that wire is a turn on then grounding it is probably why the unit is not powering up.. if its a parking brake wire and you are trying to bypass the protection then I would try without it grounded first, then once the unit is functioning try grounding it.. if there is a fuse on it its usually because it is looking for 12v. If its a cell mute or something then its possible that its a 12v out and by grounding it you are causing protection circuitry in the deck to not allow the unit to power up.. That is why I was wondering what that wire is labeled as..

Quick Reply: Radio Install Help PLEASE