Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio Install Help PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 12:47 PM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dkersten
usually pink is cell mute or a parking brake (for gps and video units), and blue is typically power antenna, blue with white stripe amplifier turn on.. If that wire is a turn on then grounding it is probably why the unit is not powering up.. if its a parking brake wire and you are trying to bypass the protection then I would try without it grounded first, then once the unit is functioning try grounding it.. if there is a fuse on it its usually because it is looking for 12v. If its a cell mute or something then its possible that its a 12v out and by grounding it you are causing protection circuitry in the deck to not allow the unit to power up.. That is why I was wondering what that wire is labeled as..
Ya your probley right, I've seen so many diffrant colors for things it gets a bit confusing. I wish we knew what head unit he has? I know its not the parking brake thats green and it need a ground so that can't be it. I'm betting Cell mute
Old 10-09-2008, 12:59 PM
dkersten
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by CutterWolf
Ya your probley right, I've seen so many diffrant colors for things it gets a bit confusing. I wish we knew what head unit he has? I know its not the parking brake thats green and it need a ground so that can't be it. I'm betting Cell mute
thats my bet too.. and if its grounded it may well be the reason the unit is not powering up.. it looked like a 1.5 din unit, not a double or single din..
Old 10-09-2008, 02:11 PM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dkersten
thats my bet too.. and if its grounded it may well be the reason the unit is not powering up.. it looked like a 1.5 din unit, not a double or single din..
Hmmm, maybe he will come back and let us know so we can help him. But I'm with you, that pink wire is looking for power which its not getting and most like has thrown it into protection mode, that is "if" he has good connections for both powers and a "good" ground.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:39 PM
ReaperGT
4th Gear Member

Hey guys, thanks for all your help. To end the mystery, lol the pink wire is the parking brake wire and it is grounded just as a bypass. I took it to one of my buddies and he was looking at it and saying that my constant power wires were not hooked up right, The harness is pinned in the wrong place. I had to slice into a different wire that also runs constant power. Hopefully that should fix it. Im gonna try to get it all hooked up tonight. And yeah the unit is a double din..well kinda bigger than double din, its a 7 inch screen so i had to also make my own custom mount which sucked big time.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:48 PM
wicked stang
2nd Gear Member

Hey reaper, its fuse holder 5, there is no fuse in it, its empty but just put a spade connector on the end of the wire and put it in the right part of the holder. or to be on the safe side wrap the wire around a fuse and put in the fuse holder 5 or run an inline fuse.

cutter might have a point that if you put the radio in the f150 it might be bad

one thing you can try to see if the radio works for sure is to take the red wire and touch it to the yellow wire.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:11 AM
ReaperGT
4th Gear Member

Thanks for getting back to me wicked. Heres what happened, The constant power wire needed to be re wired and once that was done, I probed both the constant and the battery wires. Both showed a current but my radio still didnt start up. Remembering what you guys said on this thread, I checked the ground, which also wasnt wired right with the wiring harness. I respliced the ground and parking brake into a washer splice. Even when grounded to the side mount, the radio only turned on occasionally which had me worried my radio might be bad. I tried to mount it and see if it still worked, it did not. I then moved the washer splice to a bolt that is right below the radio which holds a metal box that i think belongs to the a/c controls. Once that was done, I turned the key on and the radio fired right up. Which was a really nice sight after the hours i had just spent trying to get it to work.

I still have to sand down my mounting plate more because right now when it is on, the radio display wont open. But for right now, im going to leave it how it is for a week or so until im ready to tackle the rest of my project
Old 10-10-2008, 07:55 AM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ReaperGT
Thanks for getting back to me wicked. Heres what happened, The constant power wire needed to be re wired and once that was done, I probed both the constant and the battery wires. Both showed a current but my radio still didnt start up. Remembering what you guys said on this thread, I checked the ground, which also wasnt wired right with the wiring harness. I respliced the ground and parking brake into a washer splice. Even when grounded to the side mount, the radio only turned on occasionally which had me worried my radio might be bad. I tried to mount it and see if it still worked, it did not. I then moved the washer splice to a bolt that is right below the radio which holds a metal box that i think belongs to the a/c controls. Once that was done, I turned the key on and the radio fired right up. Which was a really nice sight after the hours i had just spent trying to get it to work.

I still have to sand down my mounting plate more because right now when it is on, the radio display wont open. But for right now, im going to leave it how it is for a week or so until im ready to tackle the rest of my project
That is why I said, "Make your own new ground". For some reason the ground wire in the factory harness is not a really good one and when I was reading this post and you were talking about where you put the ground the first time I just laughed cause I already knew thats a bad spot and I was hoping you would look down and see those nice big metal bolts which make a great ground to use and you did which is where I placed mine So what head unit do you have anyway??
Old 12-15-2008, 07:33 PM
zanypunk
2nd Gear Member

My radio doesn't turn on. Any body have this problem. Out of a full moon it just stopped working.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:23 PM
miloman
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ReaperGT

Looks to me like the greens are mixed. Green/black to green and vise versa. Those are just speakers aren't they?

Last edited by miloman; 12-15-2008 at 10:27 PM.