Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Self Wheel Change

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 12:04 PM
cobragtk

Default Self Wheel Change

Hi all,
This is my first post so please forgive if I've broken any rules. I did many 'advanced searches' to find what I was looking for but found nothing that completely fit the bill. I have an '06 Tungsten GT, only mods. so far being the Eleanor style grill but I did it myself, slow and steady. Anyway my next mod is aftermarket wheels. I figured I could do this myself but ran into the following problems. Oh and the wheels are from a company called Dynatek Racing, very slick wheels, see attachment.

So I removed my stock wheel and then when I put 1 of the new wheels on. Subsequently I realized that the stock socket wrench would not fit into the recessed hole in the wheel, so I was unable to tighten it. So after a little 'googling' and some asking around I realized I need a thinner walled socket wrench. Can anyone point me to where I can buy the correct one of these, maybe some specifics such as a store and brand and size? (I'm in California, San Francisco)

Also regarding tightening the lugs myself, does this HAVE to be done with a torque wrench? I always thought a torque wrench was some sort of 'power' tool but it appears that a torque wrench is just a wrench that you use manually but somehow mechanically measures the torque being applied. Now this ties in to step one, does an affordable thin walled socket wrench that is also a torque wrench exist for my problem?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.
Old 10-09-2008, 12:19 PM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

[I moved this into the main S197 section for better visibility]

First off, welcome to MF!!!

Regarding your question, if you mean that the stock lug wrench that Ford includes with the car won't fit the aftermarket wheels, then you will need to look for the correct sized deep-well socket to use on a rachet wrench. I don't remember the proper mm size for the stock lugnuts, but somebody else here might. Then you can use a standard rachet wrench, or purchase a good torque wrench. Just remember that every project is an excuse to buy a new tool!

In my case, I took my 4-bar lug wrench and used a benchgrinder to reduce the outer diameter to the point that is wouldn't scratch my rims.
Old 10-09-2008, 12:28 PM
EagleStroker
5th Gear Member

Call the manufacturer and check your packaging, happened with me, you should get one with your wheels. ASA sent one to me asap for no charge
Old 10-09-2008, 12:28 PM
Nutty2003
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cobragtk
Hi all,
This is my first post so please forgive if I've broken any rules. I did many 'advanced searches' to find what I was looking for but found nothing that completely fit the bill. I have an '06 Tungsten GT, only mods. so far being the Eleanor style grill but I did it myself, slow and steady. Anyway my next mod is aftermarket wheels. I figured I could do this myself but ran into the following problems. Oh and the wheels are from a company called Dynatek Racing, very slick wheels, see attachment.

So I removed my stock wheel and then when I put 1 of the new wheels on. Subsequently I realized that the stock socket wrench would not fit into the recessed hole in the wheel, so I was unable to tighten it. So after a little 'googling' and some asking around I realized I need a thinner walled socket wrench. Can anyone point me to where I can buy the correct one of these, maybe some specifics such as a store and brand and size? (I'm in California, San Francisco)

Also regarding tightening the lugs myself, does this HAVE to be done with a torque wrench? I always thought a torque wrench was some sort of 'power' tool but it appears that a torque wrench is just a wrench that you use manually but somehow mechanically measures the torque being applied. Now this ties in to step one, does an affordable thin walled socket wrench that is also a torque wrench exist for my problem?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.
i think it would be in your best interest to use a torque wrench as you have the potential to sheer the bolts right off your car. I had a buddy that thought it would be cool to put some aluminum 20" wheels on his car that his buddy had laying around, needless to say after accelerating to 35 mph he watched his aurora sheer off his front wheel and messed his front end up pretty badly
Old 10-09-2008, 12:50 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

A torque wrench is a good investment. I have 2 of them. They do different torque ranges, so be sure to buy one that covers the torque required for the wheel change. Thats what I had done at first, then later as I did some other projects requiring much less torque, I bought a smaller wrench as well.

You'll pay probably anywhere from $60 - $120 for a good torque wrench. My advice is not to skimp when it comes to tools either. Go to Sears and buy a nice Craftsman that will give you many years to a lifetime of service, and they also have a great warranty! While you're at it, you may want to buy a very large socket wrench with a long handle as well. I use mine to break loose lug nuts or other highly torqued bolts. The long handle gives you the leverage you need...

As someone else said, each project is an excuse to buy a new tool. This seems like a drag and extra expense at first, but eventually you'll build up a nice little tool collection and will find that you're pleased to have the right tools for a given job.

Last edited by Mudflap; 10-09-2008 at 12:52 PM.
Old 10-09-2008, 01:07 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Something like this is all you need, just make sure you get it in 1/2" drive. I've had a similar one for 40+ years at this point, and the only thing I've ever had to do for it was reset the pointer to zero a couple of times. Fancier models might not be as tolerant of being used out in bad weather or occasionally being dropped.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 10-09-2008 at 01:11 PM.
Old 10-09-2008, 01:08 PM
Leoleo
3rd Gear Member

Our lugnuts are 3/4 or 13/16 inch. I can't remember which. I have two Fords (one is a Mustang) and these are the size sockets I use with my Torque Wrench when rotating tires. They are not mm, they are inch. Our factory wheels are torqued to 100 ft/lb.

Last edited by Leoleo; 10-09-2008 at 01:24 PM.
Old 10-09-2008, 01:09 PM
Nutty2003
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mudflap
A torque wrench is a good investment. I have 2 of them. They do different torque ranges, so be sure to buy one that covers the torque required for the wheel change. Thats what I had done at first, then later as I did some other projects requiring much less torque, I bought a smaller wrench as well.

You'll pay probably anywhere from $60 - $120 for a good torque wrench. My advice is not to skimp when it comes to tools either. Go to Sears and buy a nice Craftsman that will give you many years to a lifetime of service, and they also have a great warranty! While you're at it, you may want to buy a very large socket wrench with a long handle as well. I use mine to break loose lug nuts or other highly torqued bolts. The long handle gives you the leverage you need...

As someone else said, each project is an excuse to buy a new tool. This seems like a drag and extra expense at first, but eventually you'll build up a nice little tool collection and will find that you're pleased to have the right tools for a given job.
great advice, couldn't have said it better
Old 10-09-2008, 01:58 PM
cobragtk

Hi guys,
Thank you for the helpful responses. Just wondering on the size of the lugs though - on a website that I'm looking at it says that the size for our cars is: 1/2" RH? Unless I'm looking at the wrong thing, but this differs from Leoleo's comment that the size is 3/4 or 13/16 inch.
Old 10-09-2008, 02:05 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

The thread size is 1/2"-20.

Typically, SAE standard hex nut size is 1.5 times the bolt thread diameter. So-called "heavy hex" nuts are slightly larger.

I'm not sure if there is much agreement among car mfrs on what size socket - lots of cars seem to use 13/16, and aftermarket nuts could be different still (the autocross wheels on another of my cars uses one size for the OE wheels and a different size for the wider aftermarket wheels).

Make sure that the nuts are applicable to the wheels. Not all lug nuts have the same profile even though they might fit the same threads.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 10-09-2008 at 02:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Self Wheel Change