Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

turn stock H-pipe to o/r

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 03:31 AM
StangMan001
2nd Gear Member

Default turn stock H-pipe to o/r

I looked it up in the search & didn't find what I want to know. Right now I have a custom o/r x pipe with mid mounted resonators & flowmaster axlebacks. I love the sound on start up & cruizing but I'm getting tired of the rasp when I get on it. I kept my stock h-pipe...I am wondering if I can get the x pipe cut out & the h pipe put in as a o/r h? I see a lot of people buying a o/r h. Is it better or will the stock one work? Hope this makes sense. Thanks.

Rick
Old 10-13-2008, 04:22 AM
Baddog
4th Gear Member

Just buy an offroad H pipe. You must need your stock catted H for emission testing so don`t butcher it into some makeshift OR H pipe. The ORH is relatively inexpensive so just get one and save your factory one for emission testing...
Old 10-13-2008, 08:27 AM
str8wick3d
3rd Gear Member

if it will work. then ill trade u my stock h for your o/r x we can both drive around with open headers for about a week ftw!
Old 10-13-2008, 08:56 AM
StangMan001
2nd Gear Member

Shoot dunno what to do. Wait till next spring and get some headers & leave the exhaust as is, or just put the h pipe on. It's quite loud now(which I like) just getting tired of the raspiness.
Baddog my h pipe is cut already no cats, we don't do the emission testing here in Alberta...not yet anyway. So all it needs is to be put in where the off road x is now.
str8wick3d the ears would bleed...lol. Plus don`t want to give the law more work in handing out excessive noise tickets. Thanks for the info guys. But the stock one should work tho....right....not to sure on the exhaust on these. The 02 Gt was easier & sounded way better.

Rick
Old 10-13-2008, 11:11 AM
1morepart
4th Gear Member

stangman, you have entered the realm of "rasp". most of "us" have tried at least one exhaust configuration, and you will never get the 2v or 4v sound!!!! i tried 3 set-ups and finally went back to stock h with cats and boomtubes....no raspy tin can noise! imo, just put the stoch h back on and order an frpp x pipe insert from jegs and choose a muffler you like......btw, if you want an o/r h from brenspeed just pm me....i will sell it cheap!
2 cents
Old 10-13-2008, 04:26 PM
1morepart
4th Gear Member

anyone else care to advise?
Old 10-13-2008, 04:29 PM
fullboogie
2nd Gear Member

The X is your problem. I have a catless H with regular magnaflows and it gives a deep, old-school sound just like my 5.0's. I'd go back to your H pipe and try something different with the mufflers.
Old 10-14-2008, 01:43 AM
StangMan001
2nd Gear Member

Thanks everyone. I know, this is my 3rd set up also. I took the h pipe off right away when I got the car, and had a custom made o/r x put on this one. My 02 had a o/r x with magnapacks and it sounded increadible. Can't find the right tone for this one....way too raspy. So I think I'll get the x section cut out and get the h pipe bolted on. Thanks again.

Rick
Old 10-15-2008, 08:53 PM
mxg30
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by fullboogie
The X is your problem. I have a catless H with regular magnaflows and it gives a deep, old-school sound just like my 5.0's. I'd go back to your H pipe and try something different with the mufflers.
Absolutely correct. X pipes such as used in nascar are raspy by nature of design, were as an H pipe gives a more balanced tone. An X pipe is said to may have a slight edge in the power band but not enough to put up with the rasp. I run the OR-H with Edlebrock axle backs and I can promise you there is nothing else out there that sounds better. I work in the sound industry putting on concerts and shows and I really did the homework on the whole exhaust note (sound) issue and I get more compliments on the sound then all of the visual mods combined. (could have saved a lot of money had I known this).
Old 10-15-2008, 08:59 PM
clustersnarf
1st Gear Member

why not cut in a ProChamber? Larger expansion chamber, pretty easy to install and will give a good tone.

Quick Reply: turn stock H-pipe to o/r