Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Total newb starting out-DON'T READ IF YOU GET IMPATIENT

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 01:00 PM
GT4HUTCH
2nd Gear Member

If it drops at all, it's because you have your foot in it more enjoying the totally new attitude you car has!!!
Old 10-14-2008, 01:02 PM
Vankor
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Gas mileage and performance modding in the same paragraph.... Here we go again.
Hah! Yes, pardon my newbmanship. Can't we have our cake and eat it too? But seriously if my mileage were to drop by 50% I'd have to say....no thanks. Stock is still fun and there's plenty to do to it aside from the engine. And remember now, a stock GT mustang is still faster than 80% of what is on the road so let's not be too hasty in criticizing my want to have everything served to me in perfection :P
Old 10-14-2008, 01:28 PM
Redsox401
2nd Gear Member

when i installed my bama tune with a JLT 2 on my car i went from 18 mpg to 22 in the city and 21 to 28 highway so i saw a good increase
Old 10-14-2008, 01:30 PM
GT4HUTCH
2nd Gear Member

My mods are in my sig. Depending on where and how i drive my city mileage still averages between 17.5-19.5mpg. Highway mileage is still 24-26 depending on speed. Falls right in the margins on the window sticker with almost 90 extra hp bolted on under the hood.

I'll explain before the WTF's get thrown around.

326.8rwhp = 384.4 at the motor if you factor a 15% drivetrain loss
Some people say it's about a 13% loss.
326.8rwhp = 393.7 if you go by 13%.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:03 PM
rydeordie
3rd Gear Member

If you worried about gas mileage why buy a GT? And if you are going to mod the Mustang gas should be the last thing you're worried about.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:13 PM
Vankor
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rydeordie
If you worried about gas mileage why buy a GT? And if you are going to mod the Mustang gas should be the last thing you're worried about.
Shhh!!!
I hate people who make sense!
I didn't like the V6, and modding was just something I've been looking at, not considering something world breaking because I know there will always be something faster out there (or people who have just spent more money than me) but I do want a slight amount of practicality to my fun. Which is why I didn't get a Challenger with a Hemi. Let's face it, 18-20 in the city is more attractive than 13-14. And when my other car dies I'll be living with the gas this thing gets. Enough of my justifications though, moving on from gas mileage...
Old 10-14-2008, 02:13 PM
TheB1GDude
2nd Gear Member

Hi,

I'm in the same sort of boat..... had my 07 GT for about a year now, I know the basic for car modification, i.e. I can install a CAI and exhaust and troubleshoot very basic issues but other than that I'm a total noob and still a little scared about the warranty on the car however the guys on here have given me so much useful information that the worry is slowly going away.....

I just ordered a Borla cat back exhaust system and installed an S&B CAI a few weeks back, I'll be ordering the tune files for my SCT X3 tuner later today, the best thing about the X3 is that it stores your stock setup so before you take it into the dealership you can revert it back to stock and no one is any the wiser.

As long as you follow the advice from people on here I think you'll be perfectly safe and will definitely be able improve the performance of your automatic!
Old 10-14-2008, 02:23 PM
EagleStroker
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Vankor
Hah! Yes, pardon my newbmanship. Can't we have our cake and eat it too? But seriously if my mileage were to drop by 50% I'd have to say....no thanks. Stock is still fun and there's plenty to do to it aside from the engine. And remember now, a stock GT mustang is still faster than 80% of what is on the road so let's not be too hasty in criticizing my want to have everything served to me in perfection :P
You mileage has the opportunity to go up because your making the engine breathe better, I actually got 23.5 out of mine last go around and it wasn't highway I was quite shocked, and as far as warranty work goes, don't be so skittish. I've had mine in for warranty work, they even knew my cars history and they didn't care. The mechanic actually let me come back with him and hang out because he was so impressed.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:36 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Vankor
Ok, so I haven't been here long and don't know a ton about cars, I'll admit that right away. So if you just reply to say "NEWB" or other pointless, dumb things because you just know what I don't-then please don't bother.

Recently I just got an '05 GT and I've wanted one for the past couple years but it was always just a fanciful idea, but now that I have one I want to learn more about how to take care of it and tweak it in small bits. I don't want to void the warranty cuz frankly I can't afford to do that (and you never know what happens) so I'm just looking for advice on where to start in terms of making tweaks to the car for performance. I'm more interested in making it GO faster instead of LOOK faster. But I also don't want the life of the vehicle to drop drastically (and I typically don't drive like an **** anyway-I'm not out to prove my manliness).

I have an Integra that during the winter will be my staple vehicle (not to mention more fuel efficient), but it's a 1990, so it's starting to feel it's age. And I think it's jealous of my new car so eventually the Mustang will be my daily driver.

Any advice or tips are greatly appreciated!
If you want to get a real CAI with tune (a tuner is really the only way to get the BEST performance out of a CAI on these care) get the 08 Bullitt CAI setup from FRPP.

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec...ake/index.html

You have to dig a little but they are available either online or through a dealership. If it's installed by the dealership, it maintains the full warranty of the car and will NOT void anything. Make sure it's the intake setup with the fully shielded plastic intake (like the photos in the links) and not the FRPP metal shroud style. The FRPP ones are only warrantied for 12/12,000

The bullitt CAI will come with a voucher for a Ford Pro-cal which is their version of a tuner. Unlike the Bullitt that can use either 87 or 91 octae the aftermarket Bullitt setup requires 91 octane.

Upside: 100% vehicle warranty if installed by dealer
Downside: has to be sent back to Ford for reprogramming if you add mods and has ZERO user interface for making any changes.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...KeyField=10128

ah found it! Part number included.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:44 PM
Vankor
1st Gear Member

So much useful info! Now I just have to research to figure out how much money I need to save up

Quick Reply: Total newb starting out-DON'T READ IF YOU GET IMPATIENT