Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hurst Rattle FIXED!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 05:11 PM
bigmax350
1st Gear Member

Default Hurst Rattle FIXED!

Today i went up to Home depot and picked up some "screw protectors" (little plastic caps that fit on the ends of screws & bolts). I slipped them onto the end of both of the shift stops facing the shift arm. Not a single sound from it now! I hope this helps some the people that are experiencing this problem!
Old 10-20-2008, 05:50 PM
turbotbirdguy79
1st Gear Member

I wish I could figure why my shifter rattles,I dont have the billet.Rattling a$$ shifter FTMFL.I think my **** rattles,have no idea.
Old 10-20-2008, 05:52 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

it's sad that people have to go to so much effort to fix this thing...
Old 10-20-2008, 06:35 PM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by turbotbirdguy79
I wish I could figure why my shifter rattles,I dont have the billet.Rattling a$$ shifter FTMFL.I think my **** rattles,have no idea.
but i think for you it has to be the problom i had the ball in the socket rattle like crazy you can pull up on it and feel it and hear it try that

thats why i switch to an mgw i had the billet hurst and had the pivot/socket ball rattle too
Old 10-20-2008, 08:27 PM
funtimesalways
3rd Gear Member

deekum, i noticed you switched to mgw. other than the rattle, can you give an honest opinion on the difference. i hate rip the stock hurt out the shelby, but its starting to really irritate me. but the good news is sometimes it hard to hear the rattles over the other rattles and the "awesome" shaker 500 rattles. im thinkin of making the switch
Old 10-20-2008, 09:18 PM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

dont get me wrong i love the hurst i had it was great i made a post about the diff the other day. the dif is the hurst is a little shorter and a little notchier but the mgw really is nice its solid it looks good no rattles its really i nice shifter im glad i made the switch here is the thread and it has pics good luck man let meknow what you do https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs/490962-mgw-is-in-and-its-sweet-pics-inside.html

Last edited by deekum1627; 10-22-2008 at 09:08 PM.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:36 AM
rydeordie
3rd Gear Member

A couple of people I talked to just changed their **** and was good. I know when I first installed my shifter I didn't have any problems, but after a couple of weeks I started to hear the rattles. I change the ball on the shifter and the problem was resolved. My problem was in the **** just like a couple of other folks that I know.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:03 PM
Kotobuki
3rd Gear Member

For anyone else in this thread, If you're having a problem with the rattle coming from the spherical bearing , I was trying something that was mentioned in another thread... and came to something that worked for me...

So, an update on fixing the rattle... I went to the hardware store, and got me some tubing to put some pressure on the stick. I realized I left my jack and stands at a friend's house, and not having a death wish, didn't want to get under my car using my factory jack.

So I mucked about from the top end seeing if there was anything I could do with this thing. I don't happen to own snap-ring pliers, so I couldn't do any disassembly, but a thought occurred to me. What would happen if I used a good high quality lubricant on the spherical bearing.

So, I got out my Break-Free, and ran a bead around the top. Re-assembled everything, giving the lubricant time to work down in the the bearing, and magically no more rattle. There's still the vertical play in the stick, but the Break-Free being in there adds enough of a cushion that the metal no longer touches. So, if you've got the rattle there's something simple to try that won't look odd, and might just fix it as well for you as it did for me.

I use their Lubricant/Preservative which is, when you get right down to it, weapons oil for automatic firearms. I use that on pretty much everything that has moving parts. Bike chains, bearing surfaces... my fire arms. Fantastic product.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:10 PM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Kotobuki
For anyone else in this thread, If you're having a problem with the rattle coming from the spherical bearing , I was trying something that was mentioned in another thread... and came to something that worked for me...

So, an update on fixing the rattle... I went to the hardware store, and got me some tubing to put some pressure on the stick. I realized I left my jack and stands at a friend's house, and not having a death wish, didn't want to get under my car using my factory jack.

So I mucked about from the top end seeing if there was anything I could do with this thing. I don't happen to own snap-ring pliers, so I couldn't do any disassembly, but a thought occurred to me. What would happen if I used a good high quality lubricant on the spherical bearing.

So, I got out my Break-Free, and ran a bead around the top. Re-assembled everything, giving the lubricant time to work down in the the bearing, and magically no more rattle. There's still the vertical play in the stick, but the Break-Free being in there adds enough of a cushion that the metal no longer touches. So, if you've got the rattle there's something simple to try that won't look odd, and might just fix it as well for you as it did for me.

I use their Lubricant/Preservative which is, when you get right down to it, weapons oil for automatic firearms. I use that on pretty much everything that has moving parts. Bike chains, bearing surfaces... my fire arms. Fantastic product.
which hurst did you have
Old 10-23-2008, 10:22 PM
Kotobuki
3rd Gear Member

Standard Hurst Competition Plus, not the new billet version.