Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear suspension mods help???

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 06:40 PM
boomer123
3rd Gear Member

Default Rear suspension mods help???

Im thinkin about getting some Lower control arms, and maybe upper arms also. which ones are the best, im not going to be racing or anything, just street and driving hard. Im also going to get some sway bars for the front and rear.

So if you have any knowledge on suspension etc, i would love some help haha, thanks
Old 10-24-2008, 07:02 PM
miloman
3rd Gear Member

BMR biased here.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:07 PM
boomer123
3rd Gear Member

yeah i was looking at bmr, do you think the LCA's and sways make a noticeable difference in handling etc?
Old 10-24-2008, 11:08 PM
degeze
5th Gear Member

You probably will not notice any difference by changing just the LCA until you add relocation brackets. By adding relocation brackets you can adjust the LCA connection point on the axle which adjusts the instant center that will help with weight transfer and launching. The Sway baris a nice substantial piece and it will definitely improve cornering and body roll. Both excellent pieces to add...but I am also bias .
Old 10-24-2008, 11:30 PM
alloutt
4th Gear Member

you will notice a difference with just LCA's
Old 10-24-2008, 11:49 PM
degeze
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by alloutt
you will notice a difference with just LCA's
You will notice a difference depending on which bushing you decide on (poly. or spherical) and the BMR LCA are stronger and more stiff than factory. I am just saying that only changing the LCAs will probably not give the OP the significant improvements I am assuming he is expecting for street and hard driving.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:40 AM
boomer123
3rd Gear Member

okay, so your saying to go with the relocation brackets? and what do you mean it matters on what bushings i choose? which bushing is better? the self grease or the one that requires no grease at all?
Old 10-25-2008, 12:45 AM
EagleStroker
5th Gear Member

For best results the one's with no grease, but they say be prepared for a lot more noise without the bushing there as a dampener. It wouldn't bother me it's how i'm going to go when I have the money, it's just preference. Better but not best are the bushings, and they also say to grease them every other oil change.
Old 10-25-2008, 04:53 AM
jaguarking11
2nd Gear Member

I am planing on getting a watts link. That should help with the cars handling, especially the bounce you get when you corner hard at high speeds on uneven surfaces.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:16 AM
degeze
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by boomer123
okay, so your saying to go with the relocation brackets? and what do you mean it matters on what bushings i choose? which bushing is better? the self grease or the one that requires no grease at all?
If I were you I would add the relocation brackets to your list for reasons I stated earlier. The bushings are very important as they determine the strength of the joint but they both have advantages & disadvantages. A Poly. bushing will be quieter, more forgiving, but you will have to grease them as EagleStroker stated. If you go with a spherical bushing you will notice more joint noise, not forgiving at all, but very strong and no grease is necessary. So I guess it is a matter of the application they are being used for.

I went with the Adjustable "Street" LCA which are (Poly. Spherical) LCAs, my car is lowered so I wanted to be able to correct the pinion angle. My car is a daily driver and I occasionally take it through the twisties and drive it hard but for the most part I take it easy. All of my suspension mods have been money well spent and I am very happy with the improvement/results.

JMO...but if you don't plan on turning your car in a drag car or hitting the drag strip every weekend I don't see why you would need the "Race" or (Spherical/Spherical) LCAs.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by degeze; 11-07-2008 at 05:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Rear suspension mods help???