Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rattling Hurst...

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 02:49 PM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

Default Rattling Hurst...

I know this has been discussed mannny times, and if I were to spend another hour or two searching I could find what I am looking for. I have spent time here and there for the past few weeks though and haven't found it, call me impatient, I apologize

My hurst was installed by the previous owner of the car. Therefore, I know NOTHING about it's installation.

After taking the car to the track a while back, the shifter started rattling at high RPM's.

What exactly needs to be tightened? Pics would be outstanding.

I pulled the main boot off and see there is another dust boot below it, does that just pop out? I don't want to remove something that isn't meant to be and can't be replaced...
Old 10-29-2008, 02:59 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

i think one guy said that he just put a piece of Dynomat between where the handle bolts on...
Old 10-29-2008, 03:28 PM
iROK24/7
2nd Gear Member

Default Hurst Rattle Cure

The rattle comes from the ball/socket. I fixed mine by inserting a 1" section of plastic flex hose (1 9/16" OD, 1 3/16" ID) between the underside of the ball/socket and the shift linkage under the car. It acts as a "spring" keeping moderate pressure between the ball/socket and the shift linkage arm, thus killing the vibrations which cause it to rattle.

Here are some pics to help:

Here's what you do:

1 - Get under the car & disconnect the linkage from the shifter. (Remove 13mm nut and pull linkage arm from shifter's "business end")

2 - Remove the two plastic bushings & slide the hose over the shifter end that connects to the linkage.

3 - Replace the bushings & re-connect the linkage.

4 - Test-drive the car. Expect the shifting to feel slightly tight, but very positive engagement in each gear. ENJOY hearing the engine roar thru the gears without that nasty rattle!
Old 10-29-2008, 03:42 PM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

i know a few ppl who sprayed grease in the socket ball area and it worked what i did was i got a mgw shifter lol
Old 10-29-2008, 04:44 PM
bigmax350
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by iROK24/7
The rattle comes from the ball/socket. I fixed mine by inserting a 1" section of plastic flex hose (1 9/16" OD, 1 3/16" ID) between the underside of the ball/socket and the shift linkage under the car. It acts as a "spring" keeping moderate pressure between the ball/socket and the shift linkage arm, thus killing the vibrations which cause it to rattle.

Here are some pics to help:

Here's what you do:

1 - Get under the car & disconnect the linkage from the shifter. (Remove 13mm nut and pull linkage arm from shifter's "business end")

2 - Remove the two plastic bushings & slide the hose over the shifter end that connects to the linkage.

3 - Replace the bushings & re-connect the linkage.

4 - Test-drive the car. Expect the shifting to feel slightly tight, but very positive engagement in each gear. ENJOY hearing the engine roar thru the gears without that nasty rattle!

While Irok may be right, On my shifter i inserted 2 plastic screw protector caps to the shift stops. But if your ball and socket is loose, fallow Irock's path
Old 10-29-2008, 05:09 PM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

you can try greasein it which hurst do youy have b/c the billet you can take apart and put in heavy grease and that works if not the use some of this and that will work to http://www.botachtactical.com/breaklubpres1.html i know ppl who have done both of these and it solved the problom
Old 10-29-2008, 05:37 PM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

Thanks for the tips guys.

I'm not sure which Hurst it is...I didn't even know there was different styles.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:03 PM
Kotobuki
3rd Gear Member

If the Previous owner installed it, you probably have the original Competition/Plus. They have a new Billet/Plus, but it just hit the streets a couple months ago.

I used the Break-Free Lubricant/Preservative on mine. Just run a bead around the ball/socket joint. That's right inside the brass bushing. That should take the rattle right out of it.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:10 PM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

I'll try that first, I've got plenty of break-free
Old 10-29-2008, 09:42 PM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

there you go. let us know how you make out

Quick Reply: Rattling Hurst...