Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake help

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 01:47 PM
alexthejew
1st Gear Member

Default Brake help

as i have posted earlier, i acquired a set of the gt500 brembos. i plan to put them on my car, but since i am removing the stock front brakes, and since they are bigger than my rears, how much trouble would it be to use the stock fronts on the rears?

thanks

alex
Old 10-30-2008, 01:57 PM
AmericanSpeed
5th Gear Member

Not sure how much trouble that would be, but I do think that the GT500s actually use the same rear brakes as the GTs. That would lead me to believe that there isn't much of a benefit of the larger brakes in the back.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:59 PM
alexthejew
1st Gear Member

DUDE! larger brakes anywhere = better stopping times! its just unnecessary for drag racing. the super snake has bigger brake all around
Old 10-30-2008, 04:03 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

I don't think it will work. The mount plate - the one that attaches to the spindle, is different.

Also - I won't claim to be an expert on the traction control system, ABS system and brake biasing in these cars but I'd be VERY weary of doing this. They are sensitive systems set up by Ford and you won't be able to change them, the biasing for example. They expect a certain difference between front and rear and you could easily cause issues. You can read on the StopTec site about these issues (not specifically S197 but rather the problems you can encounter when making changes to the factory brake systems).
Old 10-30-2008, 04:09 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by alexthejew
DUDE! larger brakes anywhere = better stopping times! its just unnecessary for drag racing. the super snake has bigger brake all around
Not necessarily. This is a big mis-conception. Read the following article: http://www.teamscr.com/grmbrakes.html

Its a long read but super informative. It explains that big brakes are primarily needed for handling heat, they do not increase stopping power. Also note that Robin Burnett, the American Iron champion this year, drives a S197 with stock brakes (calipers and rotor size).
Old 10-30-2008, 05:06 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by Argonaut
I don't think it will work. The mount plate - the one that attaches to the spindle, is different.

Also - I won't claim to be an expert on the traction control system, ABS system and brake biasing in these cars but I'd be VERY weary of doing this. They are sensitive systems set up by Ford and you won't be able to change them, the biasing for example. They expect a certain difference between front and rear and you could easily cause issues. You can read on the StopTec site about these issues (not specifically S197 but rather the problems you can encounter when making changes to the factory brake systems).
offsets front to back.

+1
If you have ABS, I would not try GT front brakes mounted on the rears.
I do believe the rotor hats are different offsets between the GT front
and back rotors besides the caliper mounting brackets being 100%
different.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:33 PM
alexthejew
1st Gear Member

The same reason you want smaller rims is he reason you want bigger diameter brakes...heat is also a large part but bigger diameter equals better stop time

They do not increase stopping power but less power is needed for the same effect
Old 10-30-2008, 11:27 PM
alexthejew
1st Gear Member

my biggest concerns are the e-brakes and mounting them. i'm pretty sure they would work
Old 10-31-2008, 10:21 AM
AmericanSpeed
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Argonaut
Not necessarily. This is a big mis-conception. Read the following article: http://www.teamscr.com/grmbrakes.html

Its a long read but super informative. It explains that big brakes are primarily needed for handling heat, they do not increase stopping power. Also note that Robin Burnett, the American Iron champion this year, drives a S197 with stock brakes (calipers and rotor size).
Great article (being an engineer, I really appreciated all the math reasoning, very informative for anyone) and pretty much exactly why I said that the benefits prob aren't worth the trouble. The rear brakes just really don't do much. The car's inertia causes the front of the car to dip which gives much more force pushing the front tires to the gound giving more friction and allowing the road to slow the tires. Same reason why a rear wheel drive car can do a standing burnout and fwd cars can't.

Last edited by AmericanSpeed; 10-31-2008 at 10:25 AM.