Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 10-20-2015, 10:20 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brakes
Print Wikipost

changing brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 08:39 AM
Va. Stang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by miloman
Is this tool really necessary? I mean, I've always used a adjustable c-clamp and a small piece of .80 aluminum (to protect the piston from the clamp). Basically, your tool is pushing the piston in, the c-clamp works on the opposite side and pulls it in. Although the tool seems usefull, IMHO, it's money that could be spent eslewhere.

On some yes. I was unable to get my calp. to compress without it while turning them!
Old 11-02-2008, 10:10 AM
miloman
3rd Gear Member

Turning them? As if they screw in? If they screw in, they would have to screw out. I can't see the pistons doing all this screwing when we hit our brake pedals. Sounds like that could be referenced in another way, with all the screwing going on here, LOL. I'm confused.
Old 11-02-2008, 11:55 AM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Lol. Quit screwing around!
but ok, dont believe me.
Old 11-02-2008, 01:26 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by Stoenr
Lol. Quit screwing around!
but ok, dont believe me.
I could have wrote that lol.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:19 AM
SCCAGT
3rd Gear Member

Yes, the rear calipers need to be screwed. LOL
If you really want to cheap out, you can use some needle nose pliers by sticking them into the slots and turn it that way. Look on the caliper for an arrow, turn the piston in that direction. I havent looked at mine, so I dont know if its there, but on another Ford we did rear brakes on last week, the pistons turned different directions on either side of the car and had an arrow illustrating the correct direction.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:04 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SCCAGT
Yes, the rear calipers need to be screwed. LOL
If you really want to cheap out, you can use some needle nose pliers by sticking them into the slots and turn it that way. Look on the caliper for an arrow, turn the piston in that direction. I havent looked at mine, so I dont know if its there, but on another Ford we did rear brakes on last week, the pistons turned different directions on either side of the car and had an arrow illustrating the correct direction.
On the S197 you turn the piston clockwise on both sides. I've heard of the pliers trick before - those that say it can be done and those that say it can't. On my car there is no way you could do that, its an absolute bitch to screw in. I've changed pads at least 10 times (road racing). As stated previously - save yourself the headache and just rent the disk brake tool kit from AutoZone, etc.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:31 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by miloman
Is this tool really necessary? I mean, I've always used a adjustable c-clamp and a small piece of .80 aluminum (to protect the piston from the clamp). Basically, your tool is pushing the piston in, the c-clamp works on the opposite side and pulls it in. Although the tool seems usefull, IMHO, it's money that could be spent eslewhere.

You obviously have never done rear brakes on these cars. LOL

It's a big PITA without the tool.

I did it without the tool (I have it now) and man it sucked. Took two people to do it and even then was hard because you have to clamp down and turn at the SAME TIME. So unless you have the tool or four arms, you'll need two people. One operating the c-clamp constantly turning on it and the other using needle nose pliers turning at the same time.

If you don't have the tool, don't do it. I learned my lesson.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:05 PM
miloman
3rd Gear Member

Well, alrightee. I guess I'll have to go to Autozone when I put my slotted rotors and Hawk pads on.

Just doesn't make sense, stupid spark plugs, stupid rear brakes......WTF is Ford doing to us? Wait, the answer could be screwing us! LOL.

How does this stupid tool cost? Do companies, other than Ford, sell them? Maybe snap-on?

Last edited by miloman; 11-03-2008 at 06:09 PM.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:31 PM
Lethaldosage423
4th Gear Member

If there is a Snap on one...im getting it lol

We just got 15,000 dollars worth of snap on tools at auto shop at my school and when i go to UTI, they only use snapon and i will get a 50% discount lol!!

What does this tool cost?
Old 11-03-2008, 06:34 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Snap has it. I bought the tool used from our tool guy, but a matco set. I think my neighbor still has it too, hmm.

Quick Reply: changing brake pads