Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone else had these problems with their XCal2?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 07:27 AM
ensign_lee
3rd Gear Member

Default Has anyone else had these problems with their XCal2?

So I had 3 tunes from Brenspeed loaded on my XCal2. Always worked without a problem - could load any tune, return to stock, etc. Up until recently anyway - I noticed that I was unable to reload the 93 octane tune a few weeks back, getting an error message. I didn't think much of it, figured it was a one time glitch, loaded the 91 tune instead, and off I went.

Everyone raves about Bamachips tunes, so I thought I'd get a race tune from Doug. Got it emailed to me, put it on my tuner - didn't seem to be a problem. Took off the 91 octane Brenspeed tune and put in the 93 octane with no problems uploading the tune to the car this time around.

Then I connected my XCal2 to the computer, replaced the Brenspeed 91 Octane tune with Bamachips 93 Race Tune. Installed the SCT Live Load thing and everything. Thought I was good to go. Went back to my car and uh....slight problem.

When I plug it in using the OBII port underneath the steering wheel, the XCal2 doesn't turn on now. Can't get it to do anything.

And, to complicate things, now, when I drive, it seems like parts of my car's computer are shut down. Speedometer doesn't work. I can't check my RPMs. I can't put the convertible top up or down (it's stuck in the down position for right now, which kinda sucks to prevent theft). Fortunately, it seems the rest of the car still works - engine, lights, etc.

And the XCal2 still seems to work when I plug it into my computer.

But uh, yeah.

Was going to try and call bamachips later to hopefully resolev the SCT issue, and hopefully the current car problems (I currently have the 93 Octane Brenspeed tune in), will resolve themselves when I upload the new tune.

In the meanwhile, I was wondering if anyone out there has had a similar experience? Maybe I missed pressing a button on the computer and now the only input that the XCal2 will accept is the USB port?

Please share your experiences and let me know what you did to solve the problem if you've had this happen to you before.

Of course, other thoughts from everyone else are always appreciated.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:36 AM
Mustang Matt
1st Gear Member

I've had the same problem as well. You blew a fuse is what happened. It's a 5 amp fuse for the dash/obd II port. It's in the fusebox behind the passenger side kick panel. When it happened to me the Xcal would power up for a second then the fuse would blow and it would go dead. It happened consistently for a few days and I had to keep putting new fuses in until it worked long enough to get the tune loaded that I wanted. I've heard of some people putting a bigger fuse in with no problems. I think a 10 or 15 amp. I've since switched to Diablosport and haven't looked back since though.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:58 AM
sevenleaf
3rd Gear Member

If it's not the fuse,

the cable that plugs into the ODB port is one long cable that loops under the display on the xcal and plugs in. My xcal2 was giving me errors when it was trying to upload the tune, or erase memory, random times. I voided my warranty and opened the case up and found the end unplugged on one side. Plugged it back in and havn't had any problems since.

I've reflashed my car 100's of times and never blew the fuse.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:02 AM
ensign_lee
3rd Gear Member

The XCal2 was working right up until the point where I downloaded Doug's tune onto it from the computer. It still turns on when I attach it to the computer using the USB cable.

I suppose that means the problem is with my car and not the XCal2? Would a blown fuse affect things like the speedometer, odometer, all the lights inside the car (minus the radio)?
Old 11-04-2008, 09:18 AM
JimC

When that fuse blows it will affect all the dash, including speedometer etc.

Do you have any aftermarket electronics installed? I have a Sirius unit that sits on my dash and is hard wired to the car so it powers up when I start the car and powers down when I turn the key off. If I have it turned on when I try to upload a tune I blow that fuse, when I turn the Sirius off I don't have any problems.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:52 AM
ensign_lee
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
When that fuse blows it will affect all the dash, including speedometer etc.

Do you have any aftermarket electronics installed? I have a Sirius unit that sits on my dash and is hard wired to the car so it powers up when I start the car and powers down when I turn the key off. If I have it turned on when I try to upload a tune I blow that fuse, when I turn the Sirius off I don't have any problems.
Hmm, dammit. I have the automatic convertible top thing as well as some cathodes. I guess this problem could just be a coincidental problem with the whole XCal2 thing?
Old 11-04-2008, 10:07 AM
grampa_stang
4th Gear Member

It's fuse #8 by the passenger kick panel. guarantee
Old 11-04-2008, 10:25 AM
sevenleaf
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ensign_lee
The XCal2 was working right up until the point where I downloaded Doug's tune onto it from the computer. It still turns on when I attach it to the computer using the USB cable.

I suppose that means the problem is with my car and not the XCal2? Would a blown fuse affect things like the speedometer, odometer, all the lights inside the car (minus the radio)?

If it's not the fuses it can be that cable since when you plug the USB into the xcal you plug it directly into the device from the bottom. The xcal gets it power from the ODB port so if the fuses are correct I would either check the cable on the xcal like I stated or send it to SCT. The xcal doesn't care who's tune you load that has nothing to do with it.

"And, to complicate things, now, when I drive, it seems like parts of my car's computer are shut down. Speedometer doesn't work. I can't check my RPMs. I can't put the convertible top up or down (it's stuck in the down position for right now, which kinda sucks to prevent theft). Fortunately, it seems the rest of the car still works - engine, lights, etc."

Check the fuses. I skipped right over reading that part.

Last edited by sevenleaf; 11-04-2008 at 10:27 AM.
Old 11-04-2008, 01:34 PM
ensign_lee
3rd Gear Member

So, this might be a stupid question, but what should I be looking for when I check the fuses?
Old 11-04-2008, 01:38 PM
avengence
3rd Gear Member

If you have a multimeter you can use the tone setting... if not just look at it and look for the little wire inside and see if its broken. Sometimes they break at the ends so its hard to see thats why I recommended a multimeter

Quick Reply: Has anyone else had these problems with their XCal2?