Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally got the new mustang! Now I need the information!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 11:41 AM
Xeremeh
2nd Gear Member

Default Finally got the new mustang! Now I need the information!

YES!

Well, my friends! I started a few years ago with a 2000 Mustang V6 model. Then, I deployed to Iraq. I sold my old 'stang, and started paying off on a new one! So, I've got a 2009 GT being built for me at Ford right now. I'll be going home in February, and I've got the 'stang fever again!

I'd like to start working on the car with no specific goal in mind, but only to become more involved as a 'stang gearhead, and to improve upon the car. Most of my modifications, I would like to do by myself, of course, so we're talking about starting with boltons and easy part swaps before moving up to the bigger things that may require shops or friends with tools and bays!

However, I'd like to plan out a good package as best as possible before I move on, so as to waste as little money as possible. As well, I'd like to know beforehand that what I'd do would not violate my warranty. I know that most things do, but just let me know beforehand what you think does or does not break it, and I'll figure out where to go from there! The things that I would want to work on are exhaust, tires, axle, trannies, etc. up to a possible supercharger.

This thing is completely stock, so let me know, if you had it to do all over again, what would you do with yours? Also, I am not that great with terminology yet, so please fill me in as we go along. I'd like to learn everything I can, because I really enjoy the 'stang, and want to eventually become a much more knowledgeable expert on it, rather than just a driver, if you know what I mean.

Please, go wild! I appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks!

Edit: FYI, this is a manual transmission. Tires are shown as: 18" Polished Aluminum Wheels, with everything except GT appearance packages, Shaker 1000, Ambient Lighting, and leather seats stock. It's also the Alloy Clearcoat Metallic (charcoal-grey) color, if you need that for any appearance mod ideas.

Last edited by Xeremeh; 11-05-2008 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Additional information
Old 11-05-2008, 12:23 PM
shanec
4th Gear Member

My advice - go slow. Enjoy the car for a couple months before you do anything. Get to know the car. What you'd like to change. You'll know better by being around your own car than you will by looking at pictures and stuff on the internet.

Also highly recommend going to car shows to see and hear things vs auditioning stuff for the first time on your own car.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:54 PM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

Check my sig. I had these mods done two weeks after I bought my car. The car drives completely different:

Underdrive pulleys - allows the engine to spin up faster due to less drag (not if you are adding a supercharger in the near future)

Aluminum 1-piece driveshaft - removes 35 lbs of rotational weight from the drivetrain (eliminates the clunk in the driveline)

Tri-Ax Shifter w/Pro Street Shift **** - a definite improvement in shifting above the factory shifter

Stinger Axle-back Exhaust - lower, louder, best sounding exhaust for the GT

CAI with Performance Tune - This is by far the best bang-for-the-buck mod for these cars

I used Steeda parts as the dealer I purchased my car from was an authorized Steeda installation center. They installed everything above except for the CAI and tune. That I got from Brenspeed - best tunes for the GT IMO.

Appearance mods are personal. I choose to keep it simple and only do a few exterior mods. I would like to change wheels/tires one day.

Warranty: Steeda claims that the underdrive pulleys do not void the warranty. As for the other items, they only void the warranty if the aftermarket part causes the failure. I can return my car's factory intake system to stock within 30 minutes if I need to take the car in for an engine related problem.

Next mods I would do:
Gears, headers, cams, intake manifold (if they ever come out with the C&L) - these will probably affect warranty more than the items listed above.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:55 PM
alloutt
4th Gear Member

CIA + tune
Old 11-05-2008, 12:56 PM
surf808
2nd Gear Member

Yeah definitely take your time. As soon as you get that 1 mod installed you cannot wait to get another. Then it is just a fun money filled pit.
Old 11-05-2008, 01:10 PM
Xeremeh
2nd Gear Member

From what I understand, tuning should only be done after every few mods because it is different for each vehicle/part setup, yes? I think that CAI will be the first thing I'll be looking at. What do you recommend?

As far as personal styles, I am REALLY digging the Trufiber Venom Hood with pins look. Any suggestions as for contact and pricing for this?
Old 11-05-2008, 01:40 PM
shanec
4th Gear Member

If you buy your tune from Bamachips, they will update it for free every time you change your car.
Old 11-05-2008, 01:44 PM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Xeremeh
From what I understand, tuning should only be done after every few mods because it is different for each vehicle/part setup, yes? I think that CAI will be the first thing I'll be looking at. What do you recommend?

As far as personal styles, I am REALLY digging the Trufiber Venom Hood with pins look. Any suggestions as for contact and pricing for this?

Contact Kevin here: clevparts@aol.com For the GT500 conversion you will need to do before you can put that Trufiber Venom Hood on He is a ford parts dealer and sells a full kit with everything you need and he can also get you the Trufiber hood.
Old 11-05-2008, 01:48 PM
abarker8541
3rd Gear Member

+1 on getting to know your ride first. way different than a 6er. but definately start out with a good CAI and tune. check out bama, brenspeed, or vmp. and by the way thank you for serving. I was in the marine corps for 4 years so I know how you feel brother. have fun with your new ride and we cant wait for you to be home safe.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:01 PM
Ato
4th Gear Member

Personally I think it all comes down to what you are really interested in. Some really want a improve the handling of their car, while others want more performance while still others are more into the looks and sound of it. I don't think there is really any wrong place to start since most people here in the long run seem to come up w/ a well rounded car.

Quick Reply: Finally got the new mustang! Now I need the information!