Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Eagle #1 Nascar Tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 11:45 AM
Deadbeat
2nd Gear Member

Default Eagle #1 Nascar Tires

I'm a huge fan of the older ponies and for some time now, i've been trying to find some tires with white lettering. After I did my research, I found these...

I was think about buying some aftermarket wheels, but everytime I look at my stock baby, I fall in love with the stock wheels. I'm thinking about dropping her some to elimante the wheel gap. What does everyone think about the Goodyear Eagle #1 tires?

Next week I'll be picking up the Astra Hammond front spoiler/splitter. After that, my ducktail/pedestal combo will be next. So the tires would be one of the last mods.
Old 11-08-2008, 11:49 AM
Stkjock
Retired Mod

only 16" huh

what sizes?
Old 11-08-2008, 11:52 AM
Deadbeat
2nd Gear Member

On goodyear's website, I believe they only have 225/65/r16, I could be wrong. I guess it's another excuse to keep the stocks

Last edited by Deadbeat; 11-08-2008 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Poor grammar ;)
Old 11-11-2008, 01:19 AM
alloutt
4th Gear Member

looks good
Old 11-11-2008, 01:45 AM
CommanderCOOL
2nd Gear Member

i would get them if they had different sizes...
Old 11-11-2008, 07:02 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Dead - Tire Rack shows only a 225/60-16 size. Diameter-wise it's 26.6" vs 27" for the OE sizes, or about the same as either a 245/45-18 or 275/40-18 (I know that a few folks are running the 275/40's). It's got enough load rating for the S197. Hard to say whether you'd notice the slightly greater wheel to fender gap vs 215/65's.

Reading between the lines of Tire Rack's "Overview", it would be best to buy this tire if appearance is of considerably higher priority to you than actual performance. The overview text emphasizes appearance, mentions ride comfort, and IMO over-reaches with the text, at least as far as any suggestion of ultimate dry performance is concerned:
aggressive independent block tread design with stable shoulder tread blocks separated by full depth lateral grooves to enhance cornering power while enhancing wet traction
It's an all-season tire - and only an 'S' speed-rated one at that - with a strong "brand image" to both GY and NASCAR. Nothing wrong with that, but do not assume that any sort of track tire performance extends to them simply because they are made by the same corporation. It doesn't.

(not sure the link works due to work internet filters, you can get to it on the Tire Rack website, browse by tire mfr, then Goodyear, then #1 NASCAR under "Performance All-Season")

Just so you know, I look at tires from a hardcore cornering and handling point of view.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 11-11-2008 at 07:24 AM. Reason: Forced text to left-justify, edit link
Old 11-11-2008, 09:12 AM
Deadbeat
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the info, Norm. I've read many reviews about the Eagle #1 tires and they're pretty much mediocre. I'm BONE STOCK at the moment and i'm just concentrating on appearance mods, hence the subject

I called a guy at a local tire shop and they want $799 after everything, including mounting, balancing, etc...For that price I could easily get some GT take off rim/tire package for a little bit cheaper. BUT, I'm falling in love with the look of the white letters. Like I said, i'll wait till I slap on my chin and a new spoiler before i decide. Thanks again!

- Deadbeat

Last edited by Deadbeat; 11-11-2008 at 09:13 AM. Reason: The booze, man. The booze...
Old 11-11-2008, 11:10 AM
iROK24/7
2nd Gear Member

Deadbeat - You're in a similar boat as me.. Winter's coming up & I need tires.

I figured I could get a tire like this, or the classic BF Goodrich T/A Radial (also has the white lettered sidewalls) to give the "old school muscle car" look while getting me thru the snow. Then in Spring I'm shopping for new 18" wheels...

Problem with the T/A Radials is sizes to fit our 16" wheels & maintain OE diameter (27") results in 265/60 in front @ 28.5" and 295/50 in the rear @ 27.6". This works because the rear wheels would not change the speedometer reading much and the fronts being larger would shift weight to the rear wheels...

Norm, what's your opinion?.. Does anyone know if 265/60 is TOO WIDE or TOO TALL for the front wheels to turn all the way?

Last edited by iROK24/7; 11-11-2008 at 02:41 PM.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:32 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

IMHO, all that taller front tires than rears is really going to do is look somewhat out of proportion. In terms of performance, they aren't enough taller to lift the car's CG enough to add more than a tiny bit of acceleration potential (0.45" over a 20" CG height is barely more than 2%), and they physically tip even less static weight rearward (maybe an ounce or two out of 3500 lbs - you'd gain more static CG benefit by throwing a couple of shop towels in the trunk). Strip clocks *might* pick up the difference - and for a 6 it might even hurt you there if ~two percent better launch grip is the last little bit that bogs the motor.

I don't see a 265/60-16 listed at Tire Rack, nor any BFG 265/60-16, nor any 265-wide tire, any profile, in any of the Radial T/A or Traction T/A line.

A 265-wide tire would fit width-wise, if the wheels have the right offset. Ford puts 255/45's on 9.5" wide wheels on the GT500, and the extra wheel width puts a 255-wide tire right about at 265 mm width as mounted. Ford has to be more conservative about this than any of us might (given that we make careful enough measurements), so there's usually a little wiggle room for upsizing. However, I'm not at all sure about the extra height. Along with wheel offset variation from OE and the actual tire contour (60-series tires are generally a little narrower at the tread than 45's and have rounder shoulders), it slightly changes the arcs that the shoulders follow, and might generate a little interference before you get full lock.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 11-11-2008 at 01:38 PM.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:46 PM
AmericanSpeed
5th Gear Member

Thanks for left justifying your text Norm, it is much easier to read. Why in the hell is this site centering everything, I hate that.

Quick Reply: Eagle #1 Nascar Tires