Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V6 Mustang: Manual or Automatic in a big city?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 02:08 PM
shoepolishsmelling
2nd Gear Member

i would say go for the manual even though its a V6 you will feel attached to the car more
now this isnt to say i dont feel like shooting myself in the face during traffic jams but thats what neutral is for i also suggest taking the vehicle for a test drive in both varients
Old 11-09-2008, 03:53 PM
rydeordie
3rd Gear Member

If this is your only vehicle I would say go with an Auto, but if you have other options I would with the manual. I went with a manual, because I have other options in my driveway and garage.
Old 11-09-2008, 04:14 PM
matanzero

Originally Posted by bm2088hp
Hey guys I'm thinking about getting a V6 Mustang but I have no idea which transmission would be better especially that I live in a large city. Many people told me that I should definitely go with an automatic because it would be a pain shifting gears every 5 seconds because of the heavy traffic and traffic signals. I know that a manual could be more fun but would it be worth the headache? Any advice??
I'm in the same boat as you....about to get a used v6 as my first car
Definitely automatic bro...especially if you're gonna be driving it during rush hour to work and school and all that....
Old 11-09-2008, 04:31 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by peter north
go with an auto who the hell drives a stick lol stick is for a professional driver or nascar lol. A computer shifts faster and dont make mistakes than a stick with a human. lol we are in 2000's not in the 60's 70's nobody drives a stick in the 2000's .
Peter north obviously has his head up his ***. A stick is 10 times more FUN than an auto. You RIDE in an auto; you DRIVE a manual. But with that being said and over 37 years of driving experience in both big cities and small towns plus with autos and manuals, I'd have to say an auto as a DD in city driving.
Old 11-09-2008, 05:06 PM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

This is my 3rd Mustang and each has been a manual shift. Don't think I could force myself to buy a Mustang in an auto. When the time comes, I'll more likely chose a different vehicle instead.
Old 11-09-2008, 05:12 PM
zporta
5th Gear Member

there hasnt been a day where i wish i had an auto....love the 6spd...just takes a little more concentration in traffic but makes it more fun...
Old 11-09-2008, 06:00 PM
bm2088hp
2nd Gear Member

Thanks a lot guys for your feedback, I guess I'll stick with an automatic.
Old 11-09-2008, 06:01 PM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Peter north obviously has his head up his ***. A stick is 10 times more FUN than an auto. You RIDE in an auto; you DRIVE a manual. But with that being said and over 37 years of driving experience in both big cities and small towns plus with autos and manuals, I'd have to say an auto as a DD in city driving.
I think we should race, Nuke...
Old 11-09-2008, 07:10 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SaddleUp
I think we should race, Nuke...
Why? Have you seen me shift? I didn't think word got out that I was THAT bad...
Old 11-09-2008, 07:15 PM
EmperorOfChicken
5th Gear Member

I'd say manual. I drove to brooklyn last summer with my 07 supercharged 5 speed stang with a centerforce dual friction 6 puck clutch. that clutch'll make a man outa you. but anyway, we went into the city everyday. and gettin from brooklyn to long island was a bit of a 5 hour experience too due to traffic. but still, it makes it more fun to me. i hate sitting in traffic in an auto. i actually like the manual in traffic, it gives me something to do. ..besides smoke and listen to the radio! im movin to either new york or pennsylvania in 8 months and i will be bringin the car with me... winter should be fun in the city with drag radials and 450 rwhp...errr... anyway, go manual youll be sad if you went auto i think.

Quick Reply: V6 Mustang: Manual or Automatic in a big city?