Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about heads and cams

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 06:39 PM
JasperGT
3rd Gear Member

Default Question about heads and cams

I just got done reading an article in Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords about Livernois heads and Comp Cams camshafts, and I was wondering what are some of the negative aspects to doing this swap.

I know that the parts can be quite pricey ($2900 for the stage 3 heads and ??? for the stage 4 cams) and the idle can be extremely rough/loud.

What kind of power could you get for a daily driver (excessive noise is a no no) with which heads and cams for what price while achieving 400+ RWHP and RWTQ? Would boring and stroking the engine be required? How much would an install cost?

I ask this mainly out of curiosity, because funds are a no go right now. Supercharging is great, but there is something to say about NA power.

Here is the article: http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co...ade/index.html

Let's get some debates going on this people!!!
Old 11-10-2008, 08:31 PM
abarker8541
3rd Gear Member

if you want more N/A power you need a bigger block than just the little 281.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:42 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Actually you can push the 281 to quite a bit N/A.

With ported heads/cams and with higher compression pistons (11:1) in combo with the other usual bolt-ons you could be hitting low 400's at the wheels easy.

I've been thinking of going this route. But the FI bug keeps biting me and wont go away.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:50 PM
Crazy Horse S197
1st Gear Member

I would say the negatives of those big cams are going to be drivability. I would imagine mpg would be horrible. It would probably not have alot of off idle torque for stop and go traffic. Forget about trying to pass any inspections. It would for sure be very loud and lopey. Non car enthusiast would think that there is something wrong with your car with the way it would idle. Dont get me wrong, I think it is a great combo. It is a streetable combo, but would get old as a daily driver. I think a better daily driver HC setup would be their stg 2 heads and stg 1 or 2 cams. With all bolt ons I think you could get close to 400RWHP.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:42 PM
JasperGT
3rd Gear Member

What would be the best setup for a DD in terms of heads, cams (NSR, VSR, SPR), valve springs (for VSR and SPR cams), phaser limiter/lockout (for SPR cams) and what kind of performance numbers would be expected with a dyno tune on a 281ci engine? What other parts would be necessary for a sound setup? Rods perhaps?

Also, let me know if I am sounding like an idiot or if I have some good questions. I haven't dealt with heads or cams before. I just heard some of those FFRP hot rod cams on the forum, and I fell in love with the sound!

Last edited by JasperGT; 11-10-2008 at 09:44 PM.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:49 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

You can pass inspection (emissions) with cams as long as your tune is setup properly. It may be harder in CA but I'm sure it's still possible. Seeing as you live in FL, you have NOTHING to worry about with inspections. Heck, I don't either in Tx.

The Comp SPR line of cams do not lose any low end power. The FRPP Hot Rods also do not lose any low end. Other cams will though.

If you did just cams and not heads, your MPG will be close to what it is now or better depending on how good your tuner is. Ported heads and such may start to pull away on that. But it makes sense, if you want more power, you gotta burn more gas. There's only so far you can go with making power and keeping MPG.

As they say, you gotta pay to play.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:54 PM
Hufenstang
4th Gear Member

i can tell you first hand that the comp cams dont sound as lopey as the FRPP.

Here is a dyno sheet comp posted of stage 2 NSR/SPR and VSR all using the same base mods.

http://www.compcams.com/3valve/dynoresults.asp

heres the idle of the stage 2 SPR

http://www.powerperformancetv.com/vi...l.php?mId=5294
Old 11-10-2008, 10:00 PM
JasperGT
3rd Gear Member

SirKnightTG, you are being a great help! Thanks! It stinks that you have emission checks in your state though. I've been tossing around all sorts of ideas in my head for where I want my car to go, and I don't think that I'll be disappointed with any of them. It's just too bad that they all cost so much money! I've already done what I want to as far as bolt-ons go, so now is the time for the stuff that costs a pretty penny! One thing is for sure, my stang is a work in progress.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:02 PM
Crazy Horse S197
1st Gear Member

I think a properly spec'd out and tuned cam would get same mpg and great numbers, along with torque everywhere, just not that stg 4 cam that they had for the build on that article. Also if you had a really good set of heads that were milled and properly ported, I think the mpg would either stay around the same or get better. MPG normally gets better with compression because the engine is more effecient. You could get more compression by milling the heads.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:04 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

If you want lope, and I really mean you want lope, then FRPP Hot Rods or Comp Thumpr are for you.

If you want all out power with some lope, Comp SPR stage 2 (or 3 w/ ported heads) is for you.

Here's what the Comp SPR stage 2 blower grind sounds like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGFlt...eature=related

It's a little lopey but not as much as the Thumpr or Hot Rods, but still very good. The N/A grind may have a little more lope (due to more duration) but not much.

Quick Reply: Question about heads and cams