Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to stick shift. Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 09:18 AM
acbite

Default New to stick shift. Need advice

I'm sorry if I'm not posting in the right section. I bought an 08 Gt last month in stick. This is my first manual tran car and I love it, driving is just so different and better. I have a question though. How do I do a hard launch? Ppl have told me to rev the engine to about 3500 rpms and quickly let go of the clutch. Now I been only driving stick for a month and don't have any good experience so figured should ask around. And also how do you spin the back tires when the car is stopped. Sorry for the noob questions.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:25 AM
GermanyBert

I would love to be a tire or transmission saleman near you.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:44 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

This is the way I've been told to do it. Some experimentation doesn't hurt btw.

Put the car into first and rev the engine up to around 3000RPM. Hold it there. Next begin to slip the clutch out. Slip it out as quickly as you can while using the throttle to maintain 2500-3000RPM. If your tires start to spin then you're doing it to fast. Ideally you should be able to maintain that RPM range while slipping out the clutch as quickly as you can without getting any wheelspin. Once the clutch is out all the way you should have the throttle stabbed.

Will take practice.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:45 AM
shoeys08dkcandygt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GermanyBert
exactly what i was thinking. lol
but on a serious note. for a hard launch you want to slip the clutch not just dump it. u want the least amount of tire spin. just dumping the clutch is going to having you just spining the tires and not planting the rear end and taking off. to slip the clutch you want to keep applying some gas until your foot is completely off the clutch. once off the clutch, hammer down to WOT. i know there is a lot of drag race veterans on this forum and they will be able to give clearer answers than this.
just takes practice.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:53 AM
acbite

Originally Posted by GermanyBert
I'm sure if I do this once in a while I won't blowout my transmission. It doesn't hurt to just know something.
And thanks riptide for the reply I'll experiment a little and see what results I get. Btw, slipping the clutch and dropping the clutch are two different things right?
Old 11-13-2008, 09:53 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

You have an S197, so turn off the traction control. The Classic guys don't have to worry about this or waste brain space to even know about it.

The rest is practice about how fast you can release the clutch without stalling and how fast you can add throttle without getting too much wheelspin.

You'll find out how to get wheelspin from a standing start long before you get the hard launch down pat.

(this probably belongs in the 2005 - 2009 main section, but there's no particular need to move it as it is mostly a general stick-shift question . . . . oops, it got moved there while I was typing? Oh, well.)

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 11-13-2008 at 10:03 AM.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:03 AM
acbite

It's not a s197 but an 08 GT. But it does have traction control so I shuld turn it off right.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:13 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

If it's an 08 GT then it's an s197.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:15 AM
fullboogie
2nd Gear Member

"S197" refers to the 05-09 models, just as "Fox body" refers to the 79-93 models. So you do, in fact, have an S197. Live and learn, eh?

If you're new to sticks, just take your time and you'll get it. Take it to an abandoned parking lot and practice. Just be smart about how you do it, or you could burn the clutch lining off the disc by "slipping" it too much. Welcome to the Mustang world by the way!
Old 11-13-2008, 10:18 AM
acbite

LOL ok don't I feel like an idiot.

Quick Reply: New to stick shift. Need advice