Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil change physics

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 12:39 AM
funtimesalways
3rd Gear Member

Default oil change physics

just a random dumb question here. to change your own oil in the stang, its so hard to get under it on a flat surface. if i get ramps and put the car up on it, how much old oil will remain in the pan with the car sitting at an angle while draining? im at work and cannot go out and crawl under it to check it out. be damned if i buy all the oil and then take it to ford or whereever and let them charge 20$ to drain and fill. thanks, and thanks for reading through my BS for tonight
Old 11-16-2008, 12:41 AM
SSFenris
2nd Gear Member

no more than if you did it with jacks and stands... probably a pint or so. I take my car about once a year to a shop and have the oil flushed, otherwise it's all Mobil 1 products and changes at or before recommended interval. If it concerns you that much, get a magnetic drain plug.
Old 11-16-2008, 12:43 AM
Charlie321
2nd Gear Member

It's only about 4 inches from the drain plug to the back of the oil pan (on the V6), so I can't imagine you'd end up with more than a few tablespoons of oil if you were on a pair of Rhino ramps. Just don't let the oil get too dirty, and be sure to let it drain as fully as possible, and you should be fine.

On the other hand, if you feel strongly about getting rid of all the oil, you could use 4 ramps. (seriously, that was a joke, please don't use four ramps)
Old 11-16-2008, 12:58 AM
funtimesalways
3rd Gear Member

what would a magnetic drain plug do (outside of the obvious)? im just trying to calculate how much old oil will remain if drained at an angle on ramps. i can live with tablespoons tho
Old 11-16-2008, 01:04 AM
SSFenris
2nd Gear Member

it catches all the metal shavings (normal or irregular wear) from the engine, and gives you a graphic picture of what's going on inside your block. Your oil filter does kinda the same job, but it also has to deal with carbon, sludge, and other junk from combustion.
Old 11-16-2008, 01:07 AM
Charlie321
2nd Gear Member

Now you've got me curious. I'm wondering since the drain plug is on the side edge of the pan on the V6, if lifting only the driver's side would do a better job of draining all the oil. On the GT, if I remember correctly, it's on the back edge, so ramps under both front wheels might actually be preferable to setting the car on flat ground. Thoughts?
Old 11-16-2008, 01:28 AM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

i change mine on ramps. i would think the angle helps drain more oil out of the pan.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:50 AM
TAMPAGT07
2nd Gear Member

I have never jacked up or ramped my stang to change the oil. All I do is slide the pan under the oil filter and reach down through the engine to remove the filter and install the new one. I then slide the oil drain pan under the drain plug and use a two foot 3/8" extension with a swivel socket and lay on the floor and access it on the drivers side. I then drain the oil and put the plug back on and add the oil. The whole process takes me about 10 mins. Try it, it's real easy.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:57 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

The amount of oil left in the pan is minor and inconsequential and probably less than what's remaining in all the passages. Get ramps. It makes life a lot easier.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:22 AM
Vader GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
The amount of oil left in the pan is minor and inconsequential and probably less than what's remaining in all the passages. Get ramps. It makes life a lot easier.
I agree!

Quick Reply: oil change physics