Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

scuff/scratch removal?

Old 11-21-2008, 08:39 AM
ndnboy
3rd Gear Member

Default scuff/scratch removal?

I had someone strike my car last night, door and rear panel have "scuff" marks from his front bumber brushing down the side, no real dents, feels like some scratches, cant really tell without removing rubber scuff marks, what can I do?

Going to shop on Sat for Ins est, but hope to save the dect $$ if I can remove/buff/polish on my own, any ideas? I have read a few post on Mequiars ScratchX and NX2 wax, can that do the trick to remove rubber/scuffs?

Thx

Old 11-21-2008, 09:09 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Most will buff out, but some area are too deep. The clear coat is busted.
Especially the horizontal scratches on your second picture.
You have a small dent/gouge as well.

Good luck with the shop...
Old 11-21-2008, 09:29 AM
eddypython
3rd Gear Member

I can't see the pics from work. but here's what I would do, if it's just some mild scratches.

Go to shewin williams and get you some 2000 grit 3M sandpaper, then go to autozone and grab a 6 inch orbital buffer ( 19 bucks ) and some rubbing compound for your specific scratches. mild, or heavy..

wet sand the specific area, clean it up really good, then buff the crap out of it with the buffer and the compound...
Old 11-21-2008, 09:43 AM
rdsx18
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by eddypython
I can't see the pics from work. but here's what I would do, if it's just some mild scratches.

Go to shewin williams and get you some 2000 grit 3M sandpaper, then go to autozone and grab a 6 inch orbital buffer ( 19 bucks ) and some rubbing compound for your specific scratches. mild, or heavy..

wet sand the specific area, clean it up really good, then buff the crap out of it with the buffer and the compound...
Sorry I will disagree with you here, this is the last thing you want to do, especially if you do not know how to wet sand and buff something. I would go out and get some cleaner wax, and try taking off all of the other cars paint with it. After that you can just run your hand over the scratches. Generally, if you can feel the scratch it won't buff out.

Edit: Should probably tell you why I disagree with the post I quoted. If you don't know how to wet sand, you will go right through your clear and/or paint in no time. Also, if you don't know how to buff you can burn the paint.

Last edited by rdsx18; 11-21-2008 at 09:46 AM.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:55 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Do you know who scratched your car???
I would have your car looked at by a professional paint/body shop and have them do it. ;-)
Old 11-21-2008, 10:34 AM
BMRFabricationSales
Former Sponsor

You should be able to polish those out by hand. It will take alot of elbow grease but it can be done. I would use 3M'S finesse it II polishing compound. Its is a very light duty polish that will not leave a haze behind. That should do the trick.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:40 PM
ndnboy
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the input, is 3M'S finesse it II polishing compound available at an Autone etc?

I'll see what the shop says in the AM. The car that struck me stopped but with no-witnesses and the he-said, she-said aspect I am sure the Ins Co's will just apply dect and not go after them : (
Old 11-21-2008, 03:54 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

I would use Meguiars Liquid Cleaner Wax (the 3M sounds like the same stuff) and a microfiber or terry cloth. Will take some elbow grease but most if not all will come out. DO NOT WET SAND until you've have a chance to remove all of the discoloration. As stated, if you do you could end up removing what little clearcoat is left in some areas. A buffer is also bad for the same reason.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:56 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by BMRFabricationSales
You should be able to polish those out by hand. It will take alot of elbow grease but it can be done. I would use 3M'S finesse it II polishing compound. Its is a very light duty polish that will not leave a haze behind. That should do the trick.
Do you know of any polish that will fix dings and small dents?
If so, I might of missed the boat all these years lol.

+1 on 3M finesse it II. It's a great product.
Used it for years. I now use FARECLA G3 and G10 because it's designed to be used with water.
More economical and prevent burn throughs on today's poor quality clears...
Old 11-21-2008, 04:01 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

I believe both BMRFabrication and myself were referring to the scuff marks. Dents and dings are another story and you can only tell how bad or how many there are AFTER you remove the scuffs.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: scuff/scratch removal?