Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems with the paint quality on your Silver GT?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2005, 01:11 PM
BadAndy

Default Problems with the paint quality on your Silver GT?

I've had my GT for 3 weeks now and the past 2 times when I washed it I noticed that the paint looks thin on the left side of the hood. At first I thought it was a trick of the light but in the late afternoon light it looks like they didn't get enough coverage on the hood (looks kinda like when you first coat something with spray paint- uneven coverage and color). The hood and trunk lid have the same effect. Any one else have this problem? I guess they'll need to repaint it at the dealer (while they replace the fuel tank and the skipper 1000).
Old 05-29-2005, 02:10 PM
don_w
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Problems with the paint quality on your Silver GT?

ORIGINAL: BadAndy

...while they replace the fuel tank ...
Sorry, can't help on the paint issue, but I was curious about your gas tank. Are you having problems with it, even though the car is only three weeks old? I thought that was becoming a non-issue with the cars that were built later. I have had my car for a month, and absolutely no problems with the gas tank.
Old 05-29-2005, 02:56 PM
BadAndy

I've had the car for 3 wks but it was built last year- the dealer got it as a rental but never rented it out (he had to keep it 6 months before he could sell it). The salesman said it had the gas tank problem when he filled it up but I haven't seen it yet...
Old 05-29-2005, 08:42 PM
brad810

I a silver GT, but have not noticed any probs with the tank, paint or the cd palyer. I have read all the post and most guys are having all the same prob, but then again my car only has 800 miles on it.
Old 05-30-2005, 01:36 AM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

I've already had my hood and front bumper painted. The first paint job absoultly sucked. Hell I paid for it and I'm much happier and yes my trunk lid was painted shabby.
Old 05-30-2005, 02:43 AM
davidmac12

I have a Silver Gt and No I have'nt had anything wrong with the paint. It should look smooth from front to back. I would make your dealer repaint the Car.
Old 05-30-2005, 02:22 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

I had excessive paint chips and my car is black; everyone knows it is hard to hide damage on a black car. I tried to get them to repaint it but they wouldn't. Claiming I must have been riding behind a truck and caught the damage all at one time. I told Ford of this problem in Michigan along with the radio. You know the questioneer they send. Anyway though I paid 485 dollars I am happier. I do know the paint is better. I've heard that Ford does some ****ty *** paint jobs and I love Ford.[]
Old 05-30-2005, 02:29 PM
Zeio
1st Gear Member

No problems here with my satin silver 05 GT. I've put a couple coats of wax on just to ensure the protection against the elements down here in LA. Of course those elements don't include aholes that don't know how to park. Argh... two weeks and a small chip of paint from someone bumping into the end of my car trying to park in Santa Monica. Some people just can't respect other peoples property.
Old 05-30-2005, 03:04 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

The paint on my torch red GT is poor quality at best. Huge drips hanging off the bottom of one of the doors, dull spots on high lines on the hood, orange peel on the fenders. I know there is going to be someone chime in and give the "what do you expect out of a $30k car, it is not a Ferrari" speech, but still....
Old 05-30-2005, 03:26 PM
JC74
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hawgman

The paint on my torch red GT is poor quality at best. Huge drips hanging off the bottom of one of the doors, dull spots on high lines on the hood, orange peel on the fenders. I know there is going to be someone chime in and give the "what do you expect out of a $30k car, it is not a Ferrari" speech, but still....
Screw that. Last time I checked 30K was still alot of money. It better be an awesome paint job for that price. If I noticed deficiencies in the paint quality the dealership would be fixing it prior to me driving off the lot. If they tried that crap saying they had 3 others that were waiting to buy it if I wouldn't. I would be taking my contract to an attorney.

IMHO, I guess I just don't understand why people would wait several months for their car and then accept it at signing if something was not up to par.

Quick Reply: Problems with the paint quality on your Silver GT?