Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do i have a starter or a battery problem?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 06:36 PM
0NF1R
5th Gear Member

Default Do i have a starter or a battery problem?

Well, at the beginning of this week, i started noticing that the beast has a weak start when i crank it up...maybe its just in the mornings, im not sure yet....

at first, i thought it was a battery problem, but while i was driving home today, i checked the battery gauge and it red above half as normal...when i got home, i turned the car off for a sec, then turned the key on but didnt crank it to see where the battery gauge goes and it went to the same place over half as normal....

because of this, i now suspect my starter...towards the end of the day, it seemed to not be as weak of a start as this morning, but i dont know what to look for so its really vague at the moment...

anyone have this problem?
Old 11-29-2008, 07:13 PM
Va. Stang
3rd Gear Member

Bad starters will get harder to start as they get hotter during the day and when used several times. A weak battery will show up in the morning on the first start and sometimes get better as the day goes on from the alt. charging it some through out the day even though it is going bad! Check the battery voltage 5 min. after shuting down in the evening , then again in the morning. See if you get more than 1 volt drop by morning battery is bad.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:33 PM
0NF1R
5th Gear Member

okay thanks....

i actually had to come into the fire station tonight to pay someone back some time so on my way here, it started up with no problems with weakness...its sitting outside right now so in the morning when i get ready to go home, ill pay extra attention to the startup and see how it goes....
Old 11-29-2008, 11:01 PM
wyldwmn65
2nd Gear Member

Having experienced what you are currently experiencing, my bet is on the battery. I have had to replace the starter once, battery 3 times and alternator once. I would get it diagnosed sooner than later, because one day you will go out and she will not start.
Good Luck.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:19 PM
degeze
5th Gear Member

I think it's your battery.
I had very similar issues and it was my battery.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:29 PM
danbevsv6rumbler
3rd Gear Member

I don't know about you guys, but I had the non-maintenance-free motorcraft battery on my car for about a year...

I bought it used a year ago, and just last week I discovered that it required maintenance - after the fact that I had, like an idiot, let the water level go down.

Maybe try checking that for a start if yours isn't maintenance-free?
Old 11-30-2008, 03:19 AM
olvanish
3rd Gear Member

Take it to Auto Zone and get the battery checked with the ARBST tester which is what it's designed for. That gauge is nothing that we should rely our judgement on. By the way I noticed the same thing on mine about a week ago. Little by little it was getting worse every time I started the car up. Turned out to be my 2 1/2 year old battery. Good thing I pay attention to this type of stuff otherwise eventually I'd get stranded somewhere.
Old 11-30-2008, 01:09 PM
S281 E
5th Gear Member

I would bet on the battery as well since it seems every mustang owner has troubled with their battery by now.
Old 11-30-2008, 01:17 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Originally Posted by S281 E
I would bet on the battery as well since it seems every mustang owner has troubled with their battery by now.
Mine is still going strong and i am sure most others are too. There was a small number that were a bad batch and the shaker causing batteries to drain, but other than that most are cranking like they were day 1
Old 11-30-2008, 01:27 PM
Analyzer52
2nd Gear Member

It's probably the battery had to leave my car at the dealership so they could see what I was talking about when I said the car won't start after sitting just two days. They went out to start it and it wouldn't start on the third day so they gave me a new battery under warranty.

Quick Reply: Do i have a starter or a battery problem?