Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hood struts or no?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 11:35 AM
distant.soldier
1st Gear Member

Default hood struts or no?

I'm getting the shelby super snake hood to go on my GT500 and I need to know if hood struts would be a good idea or no. The hood is made of carbon fiber and weighs next to nothing. Would it be good to have something that's actively trying to lift it underneath? I'm looking into getting hood pins whether I get the struts or not...what does everyone think?
Old 12-01-2008, 12:21 PM
RHuckster
2nd Gear Member

The thing I would seriously worry about with hood struts is that it takes quite a bit of pressure to close the hood with struts. Would this cause cracks in the hood over time?

Rick
Old 12-01-2008, 12:39 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

I'd get them, they look and work better than the stock cloths hanger prop. When in the down position, the hood struts don't press UP...they press FORWARD. Its only when you lift the hood and change the angle that they start to press upwards. Besides, they don't push with much force anyway, look how small they are, big difference from say a Chevy Suburban with those great big springs under the hood.

My MRT hood struts don't take any force to close the hood. You just pull the hood down to about 12 inches from closed and give it a sligh push.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:49 PM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

hood pins are good precaution.....don't have any hood struts yet, still using the good 'ol hood prop..

here's mine..

pin location

this is where the other ends of my lanyards were attached (when I was running them)
Old 12-01-2008, 12:58 PM
RHuckster
2nd Gear Member

I'm not talking about pressure opening or in the closed position, have you tried pushing down the struts while off the car before installing? I doubt it & thats what I would be concerned about. I have had hood struts on all my cars except my Eclipse because it had a CF hood & I know what the resistance is when closing the hood with hood struts. This is only my opinion so take it for what its worth.

Rick
Old 12-01-2008, 02:35 PM
Heavyg72
3rd Gear Member

I don't think you would have any issues. I have them and it takes very little effort to close the hood. However, I'm running the stock hood but it really only takes a finger on the latch and a simple pull to bring the hood down.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:53 PM
cobra443
4th Gear Member

defiently get the hood struts. Mine dont take any extra pressure to close the hood. they look great!
Old 12-01-2008, 02:56 PM
Darkness7
3rd Gear Member

I have MRT's and you don't have to press the hood down to close it at all...just simply lower it alil and drop it and it closes fine. I was on the fences about hood struts for along time, but trust me they are worth it. I say go for it....worst case scenario you don't like them and turn around and sell them on here on the classifieds for a minimum loss...
Old 12-01-2008, 03:24 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Argonaut
When in the down position, the hood struts don't press UP...they press FORWARD. Its only when you lift the hood and change the angle that they start to press upwards. Besides, they don't push with much force anyway, look how small they are, . . .
I think you still get a little local bending from the horizontal strut being offset from the underside of the hood and/or any molded-in hood structural shape. On a really flexible hood, this would more likely show up as a pair of little ripples above the hood side strut pivot anchorages than as a bowed hood shape.

Norm
Old 12-01-2008, 03:58 PM
orange04s281
2nd Gear Member

i would get them i dont see you having any issues

Quick Reply: hood struts or no?