Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to store for winter?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 06:26 PM
distant.soldier
1st Gear Member

This one is my 4th...hopefully the last for awhile...
I knew about the fuel stabilizer, but didn't know how good of a thing it would be... the car will be kept garage kept. Wife will start the car once a week...and a trusted family member will drive it once a month or so...would this be good??
Old 12-01-2008, 07:23 PM
mustangfan410
The 2014 Mustang Forums T-Shirt Design Winner

Originally Posted by Nuke
Have a box of Kleenex handy for when you cry in despair for not being behind the wheel
i've already done that, several times.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:15 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Ill be glad to take care of it for you
I promise to wash it at least once a week too!
Old 12-01-2008, 08:15 PM
limitedex
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by distant.soldier
I knew about the fuel stabilizer, but didn't know how good of a thing it would be... the car will be kept garage kept. Wife will start the car once a week...and a trusted family member will drive it once a month or so...would this be good??
Uh, i wouldn't drive it in the winter! You're in New York! I'm in Erie, PA and mine's not leaving the storage till the salt is off the road.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:40 PM
charliebrown266
4th Gear Member

I live in toronto,the salt is bad,i would not drive,or start it,every time you start and drive moisture will form in the exhaust. Put mine away last week,and will not see daylight till spring, I hate WINTER!
Old 12-01-2008, 08:49 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by distant.soldier
I'd leave it either totally laid up or, if you want it ran on occasion, ONLY run it when it can be driven about 20 or more miles. Just starting it in the garage for awhile will not burn off nearly as much moisture from the fluids as a good, long drive and may actually cause more problems.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:52 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Originally Posted by stiggy
battery tender to keep the charge nice and full, if its not jacked up, overinflate the tires to help prevent flat spots, get a car cover to keep dust off to help prevent scratches once you clean it next, and put a scrap piece of carpet, plywood, or plactic under the car to help prevent condensation from coming out of the ground and corroding the underside of your vehicle.
8 mil plastic on cement in the garage will prevent corrosion on the undercarriage! Can be found at any Home Depot or Lowes or paint supply store)

Originally Posted by stiggy
oh, and fuel stabilizer, add it then run the car for about five minutes to get it throughout the system. MAke sure the fuel tank is full to also help prevent as much condensation in the tank as possible. Even if the tank is plastic, the water can still get in the fuel lines and system.
Fuel stabil first then fill the tank-the drive home should be more than enough if done in that order!

Originally Posted by Nuke
  1. Add Fuel Stabilizer, top-off the tank and run her for about 10 miles or more
  2. Fresh oil/filter change
  3. If you can, get her up on jacks to get the wheels off the ground
  4. If you can't do #3, put cardboard or carpet or some type of moisture barrier under the tires
  5. Disconnect the battery and/or put a battery tender on it
  6. A car cover will keep dust and "stuff" off the paint but isn't necessary
  7. Have a box of Kleenex handy for when you cry in despair for not being behind the wheel
Tires WILL flatspot not matter what the pressure but will round-out with use after a bit. I've actually heard that mounted tires should be stored at LOWER pressure but I haven't researched it.
I would still use the car cover but as stated its personal preference.

I have 30 series tires and the side wall is reinforced. I do over inflate to near max psi (max on mine is 50psi) so I usually run 40+psi when in storage. In 6 months of storage no flat spots but I have a 20 inch rim and small side wall tires as opposed to the amt of rubber you have with the 18's and taller sidewall height. I still recommend doing that if it is not going to be driven. If it is driven wait until spring other than a start up or 2 in the 5 months of bad weather the midwest and northeast can produce. (salt is the enemy and nixed with water is very corrosive) If you do start once a week (not necessary) run for 20+ mins to make sure operating temp is reached. A couple of good revs before shutdown to blow out some of the condensation is recommended if doing it this way. If not and you start 2 times in 6 months- run for 20-40 minutes and rev the motor (after properly warmed) and get the excess condensation out! Everyone has there own way and I have never read about decreasing the air in the tires to less then recommended.

If you remove the rims and tires and store indoors (best scenario) make sure the suspension is loaded when on the car jack stands......trust me when I say this as you don't want stretched out front/rear coil springs giving the car more wheel well than before. It will not settle much if loaded (if any) in 6 months to a yr. Big difference between settling and seating the springs that many talk about when changing out to new ones (aftermarket) as there is a big misconception between that and I have not seen progressive springs settle and seat that much if at all regardless of how old they are. (take a DD for an example)
Old 12-02-2008, 04:24 AM
Baddog
4th Gear Member

This year my car will be off the road from October to February. It is stored in a gated parkade with a smooth concrete floor. The Z28 parked next to mine is a DD and rain and melting snow from it dampens the area beneath my car. Although the garage is not heated per se, it is slightly warmer than outside. Here in Vancouver it isn't below freezing all winter, maybe a 1/4 of the time is a good guess. The last two years I've just filled the gas tank with 94 and left it. The battery needs a jump after the four months but otherwise all's good. Do you think all the steps I've read about here should apply to me what with the moderate winters and length of time it's stored? There isn't much I can do about the water from the other car, it's substantial and it comes from the owner of the car that gives me the free out of the elements storage. I figure a roll of carpet underneath would just harbour the moisture longer underneath rather than allowing it to evaporate which seems to happen slowly anyhow in low temperatures. That's my main concern, the water...although it's not extremely cold here it is wet. My car has zero rust anywhere and if there's anything I can do to prevent undercarriage rust I'd love to here it. I should say that the water doesn't necessarilly "pool" underneath it, the pavement is wet for long periods of time as a result of water off of his car. Thoughts? Thanks...

Last edited by Baddog; 12-02-2008 at 05:04 AM.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:22 AM
Baddog
4th Gear Member

*BUMP* on dealing with wet pavement under a stored vehicle. Anyone?
Old 12-03-2008, 06:37 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Baddog
*BUMP* on dealing with wet pavement under a stored vehicle. Anyone?
Other than laying a sheet of plastic under the car and lifting the edges so no water flows on top of it and under the car, my only other thought would be to have some air movement beneath (only a little movement is required; not a wind storm) the car IF there was a lot of moisture. The best thing would be some heat (wouldn't take much) with a bit of air movement but that's not always possible.

Quick Reply: how to store for winter?