Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went to Autzone....

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 04:54 PM
devin gt/cs
2nd Gear Member

i've been using "simply Z Best" wax. i got it from the autoshow a few years ago and just keep ordering more. it works really good too
Old 12-03-2008, 05:40 PM
Branomano06GT
3rd Gear Member

I saw some smartwax stuff that looked promising smelled hot too but like an idiot I went with some lint in my pocket and that was it. Was kind of spur of the moment went with my uncle right before a clipper game.
Old 12-03-2008, 05:49 PM
MELLOWYELLOW06
6th Gear Member

There is a website with a wealth of knowledge regarding paint maintenance. www.meguiarsonline.com

Maybe one night we can head down to the headquarters and get some training from them in their facility.
Old 12-03-2008, 05:50 PM
ptaylor_9849
2nd Gear Member

You guys have a whole lot to learn. Wax or sealant is a top coat or what is commonly referred to as an LSP (Last Step Product). Carnauba waxes only last about 30-60 days whereas sealants like Zaino can last 6 months. But whatever you choose these "last step products" only make up for about 20% of the total look of the finish. The car must first be properly washed, clayed, polished and THEN waxed or sealed. It is the machine polishing step that most people don't do and that's where 80% of the magic happens. The reason you have swirls is due to poor washing techniques. The only way to really get rid of them is to polish them away with a machine. Here's a picture of what machine polishing can do. You could learn how over at Autopia.org. There is NO WAX on this car. Just proper polishing.

Last edited by ptaylor_9849; 12-03-2008 at 06:03 PM.
Old 12-03-2008, 05:58 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Man, that vette looks like you could dip your finger in the paint! I reaaally need to spend as much time on the outside of my car as the inside. The leather, dash and trim gets most of my attention. The exterior maybe a clay/wax/polish every six months. My car never sees UVA other than back and forth to work so my paint is in excellent shape (I park in a garage at home and at work) but I really need to get into some exterior detailing.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:01 PM
Branomano06GT
3rd Gear Member

Alright so I will just wash up before the meet I bought the car with Swirls but I got a good deal so i wasn't about to complain I just need to grab a Spining thingy and polish it then simple as that. At least I now know that is the only way to get rid of the damn swirls haha whats a good one and how much is it gonna run me? Also Mellow I guess it would be kind of cool to go to there facility and see how the "pro's" do it haha.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:08 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

The swirls can be polished out for sure with some good light abrasive polish and a wheel. It just takes some of your clearcoat with it but with modern vehicles you have several coats available to polish away .

As evidenced by ptaylors new pic up there!
Old 12-03-2008, 06:17 PM
ptaylor_9849
2nd Gear Member

Sorry to break the news to you but you don't just "pick up a buffer" and do paint correction on your car. In fact, if you tried that with a rotary you would either burn the paint or leave the worst buffer trails and holograms you've ever seen. That's why there are professional detailers. They know how to use these tools and understand the complexity of polishes and how they break down. Every car I own looks like this. The polish I used on this car cost $135 per bottle and was shipped directly from Germany. There is NO WAX on this vette.

Last edited by ptaylor_9849; 12-03-2008 at 06:26 PM.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:20 PM
SikO7GT
2nd Gear Member

I have that wax as well and it's pretty good i suggest u get the nxt 2.0 that ones good too and it also fills in the swirl marks.... but remember it WONT get rid of them!! I need a good orbital too but they are pretty expensive to get a good one so im gonna wait till summer comes to buy a good one!! I have an orbital but it's a cheap walmart one that i got for 25 bucks but i wont use it on the stang cuz im scared that it will burn the paint off!! So for now i wash, clay bar, then use nxt 2.0 to wax and that usually just fills in the swirls!!
Old 12-03-2008, 06:23 PM
Branomano06GT
3rd Gear Member

Thats good to know is that the one that comes with the mitt and th microfiber towel? I coulda swore I saw like Next gen 2.0 somethin haha if so ill grab it on the way home today.