Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying Dealer vs Private

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 08:39 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Orion_240
while you might get more $$$ from selling your car private party you might also get more hassles.
Will the few hundred to thousands more be enough to have to put up with them? Only you can tell.
I'd rather buy and sell at the dealership and not have to deal with the headaches. Plus buying used cars at Ford is much safer, as they are usually Certified Pre-owned and have warranties as good as the originals. Think that guy selling you a car on Craig's List has done even the slightest inspection on his car?
Why do you think most Ford Dealer used cars have certified warranties?
Old 12-04-2008, 10:46 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

What are these supposed hassles you get from selling private party other than having to actually put an ad up in the paper or on autotrader?
Old 12-04-2008, 10:55 PM
machthis04

there is nothing wrong with private as long as you look over the car and feel the car is right for the price. a dealer wont look over the car no more than a guy that know the basics. unless there is a warranty it really is just prefrence and what your paying for.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:29 AM
iROK24/7
2nd Gear Member

When I was looking for my Mustang the difference between dealer & private seller price was over $3000 on a car selling between 15K & 20K.

If you've got a trade-in, then buying from a dealer COMPOUNDS your losses, because you KNOW the dealer's car is overpriced by 3K & he's going to give you 3K less for your trade-in.

So you've gotta ask yourself... is the "warranty" worth 6K to you?
Old 12-05-2008, 10:49 AM
crazyassracer
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Shelby_Daytona
It is true that you will almost always get more selling privately than trading in at a dealership, and also true that you will usually pay more at a dealership than privately, because a dealership is in business to make money, BUT you will get the reassurance that the vehicle has been inspected and is good to go, as opposed to to the 'buyer beware' saying that buying privately has earned.
Another good thing about buying from a dealer is that they arent normal people with feelings, so negotiating can be more fun.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:26 AM
Shelby_Daytona
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by crazyassracer
Another good thing about buying from a dealer is that they arent normal people with feelings, so negotiating can be more fun.
How does that V6 compliment your 'crazyassracer' ego?
Old 12-05-2008, 11:27 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

lol

Now that's just not nice.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:54 AM
crazyassracer
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Shelby_Daytona
How does that V6 compliment your 'crazyassracer' ego?
HA! The Mustang's just for show, I have a minivan for race day.
I retract my previous statement. Obviously some salesmen are a bit sensitive.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:59 AM
kidnizmo
2nd Gear Member

I have bought from both dealers and private sellers, and sold/traded the same way. depends on what your selling and the demand of the automobile. when your selling a like. Also 9 times out of 10, i usually buy from the state of Pennsylvaina even though i live in NJ. Rates tend to be better, the state is larger and there tends to be an abudnace of the particular car.
I also prefer to purchase from a dealer, because of warranties and I enjoy haggling with dealers! U can ususally walk away with free oil changes for 12months and tire hazzard coverage, in your "we owe" statement...and other lil tid bits like winter wet sand, polish and wax...sweet GOOD dealers tend to go out of there way to make a deal go through...and im not talking about coffee or a coke while you wait for credit approval!
Old 12-05-2008, 12:14 PM
kidnizmo
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riptide
What are these supposed hassles you get from selling private party other than having to actually put an ad up in the paper or on autotrader?
i once had a honda accord sedan that i drove for 2years car pooling with a female friend of mine never had an issue with the car great ride. anyway i she was in need of car, and she kept beggin me and pleading with me to sell it to her she was hurting so bad! Well i broke down and after she had it checked out she bought it and 5 or 6 months later she had an issue with it...oh i never heard the end of it. what a hassle that was, she stopped speakin to me for like a year after that.

i sold another car to guy, he had no issues but he had a millions questions called 2-3-4 times a week for damn near an entire summer, my wife was pissed...which created more hassle at home and on the phone!

sold my 06 hayabusa on craigs to buy the stang...my fingers are crossed so far so good.

Quick Reply: Buying Dealer vs Private