Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying Dealer vs Private

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 02:35 PM
Grinder88
2nd Gear Member

Default Buying Dealer vs Private

Would buying Dealer be better than buying Private or vis-versa. ? Opinions? Comments?
Old 12-04-2008, 03:56 PM
crazyassracer
2nd Gear Member

I buy from both. It all depends on who has what I want at the best price. I'm confident in my ability to inspect a vehicle and try my hardest not to fall in love with the car before the deal goes through. That way, at the slightest hint of something not right I can walk away.
The auto industry makes cars everyday. No need to be in a hurry to spend your money and regret it later.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:04 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

I've also done both - pros and cons each way. Generally from private you can get/negotiate a better deal, but all the risk is on you to inspect and so forth. There is no recourse once you pay. From a dealer (at least one with a good reputation) you will generally pay more for the same thing but have a little more assurance the car has been inspected and is good to go. A used car will usually be "As-Is" though, so buyer beware.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:25 PM
Shelby_Daytona
2nd Gear Member

Note: This opinion is going to be biased, as I am the Business Manager at a Ford Dealership, so naturally, I prefer people who choose to buy from a dealer.

There are pro's to buying from a dealer but there can also be pro's buying privately. The main pro's when buying New from a reputable dealership are that you are getting a brand new vehicle, that will be backed by that dealership, as well as the factory warranty it will have. In my dealership, Service is everything, and we service the heck out of our customers. That is what we have built our reputation on, and it has paid off immensely in terms of referrals and repeat customers.

As far as buying a Used vehicle, sometimes you will be able to find a 'deal' buying private, as we may not be able to come close because we don't have the same unit in stock, as no two used vehicles are alike (mileage/condition/options/etc), but we may be able to find something similar. If you are looking for a clean and unmolested car to begin your project, buying new is the most secure way to go.

Then we get into the financing side of things, a Used 05-08 Mustang GT is going to sell for XXXXX dollars, and most people do not have that kind of money in their bank accounts, if you do, great, but as I said, most don't. That is where buying New can be far better than buying Used. Throughout the year, Ford Credit (Canada) will have anywhere from as low as 0% to as high as 7.99%, if you can buy when 0% is on, you will be far ahead because the lowest interest rate a bank can offer is somewhere around 8%, which isn't even competitive. The subvened rates are what is responsible for the Used car market being so poor, however 0% does help move alot of New vehicles.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:11 PM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

as Argonaut said, with a reputable dealer you can be alittle reassured that the car has been inspected and in proper working condition, whereas with an individual you're kind of on your own to fully inspect the vehicle as best as possible and hope the seller is being completely honest with you about everything
Old 12-04-2008, 05:43 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

There are a lot of variables but my preference is to buy private once the vehicle checks out. You'll typically save at least $1000-$2000 or more buying private.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:44 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

My preference is to also sell private vs. trading in.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:09 PM
Shelby_Daytona
2nd Gear Member

It is true that you will almost always get more selling privately than trading in at a dealership, and also true that you will usually pay more at a dealership than privately, because a dealership is in business to make money, BUT you will get the reassurance that the vehicle has been inspected and is good to go, as opposed to to the 'buyer beware' saying that buying privately has earned.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:27 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

There are no guarantees with a used car. Dealer or private party. "As-is" is usually stuck on the window of most used cars I've seen - even at the dealer. Most private sellers will let you have a vehicle inspected if you are serious.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:33 PM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

while you might get more $$$ from selling your car private party you might also get more hassles.
Will the few hundred to thousands more be enough to have to put up with them? Only you can tell.
I'd rather buy and sell at the dealership and not have to deal with the headaches. Plus buying used cars at Ford is much safer, as they are usually Certified Pre-owned and have warranties as good as the originals. Think that guy selling you a car on Craig's List has done even the slightest inspection on his car?

Quick Reply: Buying Dealer vs Private