Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Borla Stinger Drone Thread# 999 Billion and counting.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 11:47 AM
Branomano06GT
3rd Gear Member

Default Borla Stinger Drone Thread# 999 Billion and counting.

Anyway yes I know it has been told before the "Dreaded Drone" and as many of you know I recently installed these bad boys on my Stang and I am not even thinking about getting rid of them so don't worry! I was just wondering if anyone has done anything that helped with the Drone in a "OH WOW MUCH BETTER" type of sense. Without! making them sound any different they are perfect in every way except the drone I love the Blub, Blub, Blub sound they make at idle after you have been crusing for awhile is there a way to increase that and reduce drone even? I know there are threads about this but they all kind of aim in the direction of 1 thing. Like use secondskin stuff or use a resonator has anyone used a few different things to help? I will admit it can get pretty annoying sometimes not the sound but I guess my body just doesn't like how much they can Resonate inside the car the vibrations can get to me sometimes. I was thinking maybe wrap some Damplifier Pro Around the actual muffler under the car where you would not see it. Just want suggestions I was thinking maybe a Catted H pipe other then the stock one would help but anyway just looking for what people may have done to help a bit with it. Please no lame answer's like "GET CORSA'S" that is not what I am trying for here. Many of us have Stingers and know that there is drone I simply am asking what you do to get around it. Just trying to start conversation and learn a bit here anyway lets get talking =).
Old 12-05-2008, 11:55 AM
whtcanbrwnd04u
5th Gear Member

The drone isn't bad AT ALL. Stop being a *****. Honestly, its a v8 muscle car..if the SLIGHT drone of stingers annoys you, get a honda.

/thread.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:05 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Unless your normal cruising speed is in the drone range, I'm not sure what all the hub-bub is about. Anytime I get stuck in a traffic pattern that puts me in the range AND if it's bugging me, I just shift out of it. No big deal.

The only way I know to reduce the drone is to change the timing of the exhaust pulses in one of the legs so they reach the muffler microseconds before or after the unmodified leg or putting 2 resonators in. I'm not sure what the latter would do to the sound. Good luck.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:11 PM
shoeys08dkcandygt
4th Gear Member

down shift to a lower gear to get rid of drone. drone is only really bad in 5th gear b/w 1700-2000 rpm's.
i find myself riding in 5th gear more since putting the stingers on. been gettin better gas milage too b/c of it. I LOVE THE DRONE!!!!!

Last edited by shoeys08dkcandygt; 12-05-2008 at 12:14 PM.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:12 PM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by whtcanbrwnd04u
The drone isn't bad AT ALL. Stop being a *****. Honestly, its a v8 muscle car..if the SLIGHT drone of stingers annoys you, get a honda.

/thread.

LOL! Damm bro, funny yes but pump the brakes and give the guy a break. I have stingers and a x-pipe and the drone just does not bother me and it does not seem to bother anyone who has rode in my car either so I've never looked into how to cut it out.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:26 PM
Branomano06GT
3rd Gear Member

Well I hear the X-Pipe basically gets rid of the drone.... but I don't want one if I wanted an X-Pipe type sound I would have gotten the Corsa's keep in mind guys this is an automatic I can't control what gear I am in as much as you Manual guys. Was hoping for some mroe positive answers but oh well I can deal with it maybe I need to tighten the clamps a bit more... Maybe it's just a leak..
Old 12-05-2008, 12:33 PM
surf808
2nd Gear Member

Take a look at this thread.
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...nger+resonator
It seems resonators do work and I am actually seriously considering this to reduce some drone in my mac mufflers.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:37 PM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

does anyone think pulling the interior out and installing dynomat might help with this?
Old 12-05-2008, 01:03 PM
mdg
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by whtcanbrwnd04u

/thread.

agreed!
Old 12-05-2008, 01:17 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Branomano06GT
... Was hoping for some mroe positive answers but oh well I can deal with it..
You mean use saying "quit being a wus" isn't a positive answer? LOL!

Try shifting to a lower gear if you're really bothered by the drone. You CAN do that with your auto.

Quick Reply: Borla Stinger Drone Thread# 999 Billion and counting.