Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT shut off...then majically started?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 10:22 AM
hooverimg
1st Gear Member

Default GT shut off...then majically started?

This morining took the GT to out for a drive...2 minutes later the car cut off going up a driveway with 30 degree incline.

Rolled the car back down to level ground (gas tank is 1/2 full) and tried to start....just turned...battery sounded good but wouldn't start.

Waited 10 minutes and reset the fuel shut off (near driver side leg) and check the fuel pump fuse (look good). Crank the car over again....still didn't start, however it now sounds like it's starved for gas....almost started, but sounded like it was getting gas.

Put the stock tune (I have JLT/SCT) back on after another 10min because I figured I'd take it into the dealer. However, after installing the stock tune/intake the car started up.

Any ideas on what the problem could be?
Old 12-06-2008, 05:00 PM
07musclemustang
4th Gear Member

maybe some air in the fuel lines??? but i would reinstall intake/tune now that its working to rule the tune out
Old 01-09-2009, 03:01 PM
hooverimg
1st Gear Member

Happend again...car just shut off when coming out of my drive way.

Action Taken
I looked for an error code but didn't see any on my tuner.
I decided to retune it with the 93 tune...car still wouldn't start, sounded like it was starved of fuel
I then reset the fuel shut off and tuned it to the 91 tune and the car started back up.

Anyone have any advice?
Old 01-10-2009, 04:42 PM
swarthyfellow
3rd Gear Member

first of all... tune it to what ever gas is in the tank. If you think it is not getting enough gas check the fuel rail pressure. Have you done any work on it lately? Maybe there is a bad connection somewhere for a sensor, the computer will shut the engine down if it gets reading that isn't correct.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:29 PM
hooverimg
1st Gear Member

Angry

Happend Again

For the past several months I have been driving the car without my tune (returned everything to stock to see if problem was related to the tune). Well, it doesn't appear to be related to the tune....

I think it's related to the fuel system....does anyone know if the dealer has a reliable way to check the fuel system (pressure, lines, pumps, etc.)?

Either that, or it's something electrical....nonetheless, just guessing. If anyone has any ideas or has seen this problem before please chime in.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:32 PM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

I think there was a TSB on the fuel pump for this condition?
Old 04-12-2009, 08:59 PM
hooverimg
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2cokeman
I think there was a TSB on the fuel pump for this condition?
Yeah...I had the original fuel pump replaced at 5K for the TSB related to the car heisitating when driving on long cruises or using cruise control.

I am now at 17K (problem happend around 15K)...just not sure what's going on....I am hoping someone will tell me that there are procedures that a tech could follow to check the fuel system
Old 04-13-2009, 11:30 AM
hooverimg
1st Gear Member

Talk to the dealer....they mentioned it might be the Idle Air Control or MAF sensor...any thoughts?
Old 04-13-2009, 01:26 PM
owero01
5th Gear Member

It could very well be the fuel system module. My father's crown vic did the same thing and when he took it to the dealer, the diag didn't show anything wrong. He had to take it back when it happened again. So when it happens again, have it towed to your dealer so they can see the problem first hand.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:54 PM
hooverimg
1st Gear Member

I have heard that just because I cannot see DCT codes on my SCT tuner...doesn't mean codes were not produced.

Can anyone confirm....does the dealer or other shops have equipment to pick up codes that the SCT may not catch?

Quick Reply: GT shut off...then majically started?