Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Texas inspection problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 06:04 AM
CrazyHorse0217
2nd Gear Member

Default Texas inspection problem

I went to have get my 06 inspected yesterday and failed. I had four "not ready" emision montors including catylist, both O2 sensors and the the catalyst. I had my car custom tuned about a month ago and the tune "tweaked" about a week ago.

I don't think they disconnected my battery, but I guess I still have to go through a "learning" cycle for the pcm. What's bothering me is I have probably put at least 200-300 city and highway miles on my car since they "tweaked" it. It seems like I should have been through the cycle by now, so now I'm worried about the tune. I have 15 days to get it looked at again by the same inspector for free.

Any thoughts or experiences with this? I asked the tuners before they did it if this would cause emission trouble and they said no. I have a stock exhaust system and I don't think they turned off the sensors.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:16 AM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

It sounds like your tune turned off the rear sensors more than it caused a problem with them.

not ready means only the car can be not ready, the sensors are either on or off.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:23 AM
CrazyHorse0217
2nd Gear Member

Default emission problem

After a little more reading, I understand that a lot of tuners disable the rediness checks to speed up the processor. I'm gonna check with my tuner tomorrow to see if they did this. If they didn't, I'll drive it another week or so trying to use the proper driving cycles to get the monitors back in "ready" mode.

Thanks for any input. What a PITA!
Old 12-07-2008, 12:36 PM
Texotic
5th Gear Member

just drive a few minutes to a non-emissions testing county. It'll cost less anyway. Where are you?
Old 12-07-2008, 01:06 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Texotic
just drive a few minutes to a non-emissions testing county. It'll cost less anyway. Where are you?

EXACTLY! Since the inspection is a STATE inspection, you can get it anywhere in Tx. Luckily Tx only does emissions in some counties (the ones around the major cities).

Just drive to an non-emissions county and you'll be good to go. Look on the DPS website to see which counties are emissions counties.

The inspection will usually cost about twice in the major cities (emissions counties) as well.
Old 12-07-2008, 01:46 PM
CrazyHorse0217
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Texotic
I'm in Houston. I thought I had to be inspected in Harris county since that is where the car is registered. If I remember correctly, they made that law when they began using the new testing devices several years back, specifically to keep people from going outside of Harris county.

I hope I'm wrong.
Old 12-07-2008, 02:50 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

The only requirement I'm aware of is you have to live where the car is registered. So you can't be registered in one state and live in another.

When I had my other car, I would get it inspected in a different county than where I lived. This was about three years ago since I last did that. Granted both counties were non-emissions, but they were different and no one said anything.
Old 12-07-2008, 02:58 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

And BTW, I just looked at my registration to be sure, but like I thought it does not say what county you're in. Just your address and stuff. So they can't look at it and say, oops wrong county you're hosed.

I don't think they would call it a state inspection if you were limited by county. It would be a county inspection or something which would be weird.
Old 12-07-2008, 03:32 PM
CrazyHorse0217
2nd Gear Member

Default emission problem

Originally Posted by SirKnightTG
And BTW, I just looked at my registration to be sure, but like I thought it does not say what county you're in. Just your address and stuff. So they can't look at it and say, oops wrong county you're hosed.

I don't think they would call it a state inspection if you were limited by county. It would be a county inspection or something which would be weird.
I think the information is in the bar code.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:10 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Hmm, yeah I'm wondering if this actually would work or not. I thought that based on the county you LIVE in, that they are looking for the safety and/or emissions test information in order to register the car. That is a guess however, but it seems logical. So if I live in a county that requires an emissions test, I would have to submit proof of the emissions "pass"..?

Quick Reply: Texas inspection problem