Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS not working?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 07:34 AM
luvrbcs
2nd Gear Member

Default TPMS not working?

I just put on my winter tires and rims. No sensors in the rims so I am expecting to see the TPMS light on for the rest of the winter. WTF, no light! The light comes on with the rest of the lights when I start the car but then, no joy? A mixed blessing.

TPMS not working? What's involved in getting it fixed? It is still under warranty.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:50 AM
illin
3rd Gear Member

It takes a while to come on...I made a 30 mile drive without it signaling...but it did come on.

Kind of a weird safety device if you ask me.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:55 AM
luvrbcs
2nd Gear Member

Wow, really? Weird indeed.

Originally Posted by illin
It takes a while to come on...I made a 30 mile drive without it signaling...but it did come on.

Kind of a weird safety device if you ask me.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:02 AM
illin
3rd Gear Member

Yeah...and the guy told my wife that it probably would be delayed exactly as it was...so I think that is normal.

It must look for pressure trends and average them over time.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:19 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Assuming it stays off, don't look a gift horse in the mouth. If your not aware of a slow leak in one of your tires, shame on you. And TPMS will not warn you of something catastrophic BEFORE you're already aware of it. Having a non-functional TPMS, IMO, is a blessing.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:22 AM
TheB1GDude
2nd Gear Member

At a guess the TPMS modules need to be relearned by the computer.

20 miles of driving and everything should be correctly registered.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:50 AM
luvrbcs
2nd Gear Member

Thanks to everyone for responding.

I was thinking my TPMS wasn't functioning, although, I really don't use it. But, if it is on the car, I want it to at least work. I guess I'll find out in a couple of days, I only put about 10 miles a day on the car so I have a few more miles to go.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:48 PM
white531
1st Gear Member

They go to sleep when they sit for a while.It is to save batt.life on the sensor.Drive the car for 30 miles all at once and the light will come on.just hit reset.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:18 AM
luvrbcs
2nd Gear Member

Well, over 200 miles on these wheels and no warning light. I wonder what is going on?

I am storing the stock wheels in the garage, maybe that is affecting it somehow? I don't understand.

Originally Posted by luvrbcs
I just put on my winter tires and rims. No sensors in the rims so I am expecting to see the TPMS light on for the rest of the winter. WTF, no light! The light comes on with the rest of the lights when I start the car but then, no joy? A mixed blessing.

TPMS not working? What's involved in getting it fixed? It is still under warranty.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:09 AM
300GT
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by luvrbcs
Well, over 200 miles on these wheels and no warning light. I wonder what is going on?

I am storing the stock wheels in the garage, maybe that is affecting it somehow? I don't understand.
I have read several posts on several different forums where guys who stored their old rims with the TPMS sensors in the garage near the car didn't have the warning light come on if the majority of their driving was short trips out and back. Apparently the proximity of the sensors/transmitters to each other makes the car "think" they are still on the car and so no warning light.

My experience was similar to yours when I first swapped out my stock rims for aftermarket without the sensors - took about 200 miles of driving before the light came on the first time. Proved to me how useless the system is and made me glad I didn't go to the expense of swapping the sensors onto the new rims. Turning off the warning light takes all of 1 second while I'm letting the car warm up.

Quick Reply: TPMS not working?