Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS not working?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 10:44 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 300GT
glad I didn't go to the expense of swapping the sensors onto the new rims. Turning off the warning light takes all of 1 second while I'm letting the car warm up.
A few questions:
What year is your car?
Did you get the Interior Upgrade Package?
How are you turning the light off?
Does it ever come back on after you've driven some distance?

(wheels/tires/no TPMS is on my to-do list and I want to get a clearer picture of what I might be in for)

Norm
Old 12-19-2008, 11:43 AM
luvrbcs
2nd Gear Member

So the trick is to store the tires with the car. If that is the case, I got lucky. I only drive 10 miles round trip to work so the sensor should stay tricked.

Originally Posted by 300GT
I have read several posts on several different forums where guys who stored their old rims with the TPMS sensors in the garage near the car didn't have the warning light come on if the majority of their driving was short trips out and back. Apparently the proximity of the sensors/transmitters to each other makes the car "think" they are still on the car and so no warning light.

My experience was similar to yours when I first swapped out my stock rims for aftermarket without the sensors - took about 200 miles of driving before the light came on the first time. Proved to me how useless the system is and made me glad I didn't go to the expense of swapping the sensors onto the new rims. Turning off the warning light takes all of 1 second while I'm letting the car warm up.
Old 12-19-2008, 04:34 PM
stangdude81
2nd Gear Member

basically, you're right. I have my factory rims in the house about 10 feet from the car (through a pair of walls) and the light will not come on. After about a 30 mile drive, it will, but goes off again after I park in the garage. I took a trip to my parents' for a few days and every time I started the car, the light comes on. I came back home and parked it in the garage, now it's out again. I'm having the sensors reset though. The new wheels have sensors in them, I just have not had them programmed yet. Dealer says $45 does it. If you're just swapping for the season, I wouldn't mess with it. IMO if you're dumb enough to not know when your tire is going flat, you shouldn't be driving.
Old 12-20-2008, 10:57 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by stangdude81
I just have not had them programmed yet. Dealer says $45 does it.
Or you can get an activation tool and do it yourself for cheaper.
And then you dont have to pay the dealer everytime you need
your sensors to be retrained to the SJB.

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
A few questions:
What year is your car?
Did you get the Interior Upgrade Package?
How are you turning the light off?
Does it ever come back on after you've driven some distance?

(wheels/tires/no TPMS is on my to-do list and I want to get a clearer picture of what I might be in for)

Norm
Press the reset button on the message center controls.

EVERYTHING YOU EVER WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT S197 TPMS

and somethings you dont...
Attached Thumbnails TPMS not working?-tpmssensortool.jpg  

Last edited by 157dB; 12-20-2008 at 11:01 AM.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:20 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Mine threw a low pressure alert after driving through a puddle deep enough to just wet the rims. I have the IUP, and hitting the 'Reset' button shut the message off but did not turn out the warning lamp. Did I miss something?

I'm guessing the picture is of the ~$20 E-series van TPMS tool?

First time around, clicking on your "activation tool" link closed all of the IE windows I had open (five or six). I'm going to try it again, but after I submit my reply this time. Edit: Worked OK this time. Go figure.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 12-21-2008 at 10:24 AM.
Old 12-21-2008, 06:28 PM
illin
3rd Gear Member

Just did this myself. Ordered this part: 8C2Z-1A203-A

Which was $18 from the dealer...they had it in 2 hours from a local supply station.

It took me (literally) 30 seconds to train all four wheels.

On/off x3 - Brake pedal. Repeat. Car honks. Then just walk around the car starting at left front and point the little keyfob 180 degrees from the valvestem..."honk". Move to right front, right rear, left rear.

Typing this took three times longer than actually doing it.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:05 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stangdude81
IMO if you're dumb enough to not know when your tire is going flat, you shouldn't be driving.
You are certainly entitled to your opinion. I am disappointed that you think I am so dumb that I should not be driving.

I was driving along one day and the TPMS light came on. I pulled over and made a quick visual inspection of the tires. They all looked fine. I carry a tire pressure gauge in the car, and checked the tire pressure. The left rear was down to 22 psi. Further inspection disclosed a nail or screw in the tread that was so close to the sidewall that the tire could not be repaired.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:50 PM
Trill Gear Head
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Assuming it stays off, don't look a gift horse in the mouth. If your not aware of a slow leak in one of your tires, shame on you. And TPMS will not warn you of something catastrophic BEFORE you're already aware of it. Having a non-functional TPMS, IMO, is a blessing.
Exactly. Our retarded senators and representatives don't know anything about cars and made TPMS required for the 08's and up. They are just another add on to make cars more expensive. Personally, If you can't tell that you have a flat than you shouldn't be driving.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:04 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

I think it's a belief by those in the business of regulating stuff that if they are not constantly introducing new controls on things that affect the lives of the rest of us they aren't producing anything to justify their continued employment. IOW, there's a vested interest in finding more stuff to regulate and in adding tighter/more extensive regulation to the stuff that's already regulated in some way. Must be nice to be able to create your own future workload . . .

I don't think they were thoughtful enough to consider establishing some sort of "line of demarcation", with vehicles falling on the one side being required to be equipped with TPMS and vehicles on the other being given the option to include it (perhaps even as a buyer's option). Particularly with respect to how wide your wheels are relative to the tire size, some vehicles are far more tolerant of a tire going down than others. Been there.

Norm