Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you TAKE YOUR CAR TO THE LOCAL SHOP FOR OIL CHANGES?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 11:13 PM
ponyponer
2nd Gear Member

No. I wouldn't take any of my vehicles to the shop for an alignment let alone an oil change.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:14 PM
josmoe5000
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Metal man
I thaught that too, untill I got my "free inspection and oil change". Tan interior with black hand prints WTF! If that wasn't bad enough, when I changed my oil 3 months later the f-ing drain plug threads were streached, like with an inpact gun! Do it yourself!!
Same thing happened to my drain plug. I'm doing it myself for now on.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:39 AM
JasperGT
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
Still trying for no flames. Just a request that you try to explain why you apparently don't care to do these things. How do you view automotive work? I did notice your sig (JLT CAI w/ 93 Performance Tune - Bamachips, FRPP 4.10 gears, H&R Race Springs, Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter, Borla Stingers). Did you install any of those? Do you hire out all work that isn't part of your paying profession? I'm trying to get a better grip on how the other side thinks.

Norm
I installed the springs and the CAI (which everyone should do aside from the warranty issue) myself. The shifter and the gears I had a Ford only performance shop do. The shifter because I was lazy/see below, and the gears because I don't feel comfortable doing them myself plus I heard that doing it is a pain and getting no whine can be quite difficult. The exhaust was taken to a shop when the clamps that were included did not fully seal the exhaust.

I like to do as much as I feel comfortable doing or am allowed to do. I live in an apartment complex and they don't allow automotive work to be done on the site. I did the springs anyway as well as the exhaust (kinda) and the CAI. I am by far the most mechanically inclined person in my family, but that is not saying much.

I plan on doing all my own suspension work when that time comes, but again if I don't feel comfortable doing the work, I won't and I will pass the work onto someone else that I trust to do the work correctly. Luckily I don't live to far away from some good shops and it isn't a problem.

For example, BMR suggests that their LCA relolation bracket be welded in place if the car drag races. I don't feel comfortable welding and I don't have a welding kit so I am going to take it to a shop. Note: if the equipment manufacture recommends that the piece gets welded, I am going to have it welded. End of story. Better safe than sorry.

Hope this helps everyone see where I am coming from.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:41 AM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

i do almost everything myself i havent takein my car to any shop yet i really only need a shop to put gear in for me
Old 12-09-2008, 01:13 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Thanks for the explanation. Really. And I'll admit to being pleasantly surprised.

I used to live in an apartment, as did most of my friends at the time. Don't remember if there were any prohibitions concerning automotive repair work, but I don't think so at most places. Then again, I doubt that anybody in the rental offices would have expected tenants to be pulling engines, replacing transmissions, gas-welding exhaust systems and sheetmetal, or prepping for paint. Lots of other people did oil and coolant changes and simple bolt-on stuff like carburetor swaps, water pumps, alternators, etc. Times have probably changed.

I'll give you the gear install. Plenty of folks are nervous about doing that, and it was quite a while before I attempted it. You need lots of patience, and a willingness to do repeated measurements. This one is not a 'measure once, go ahead and cut' kind of job at all.

I wholeheartedly agree with welding in the relo brackets. Wouldn't do it any other way myself. Something about if your suspension should develop an extra hinge, you then have a mechanism, which isn't a good thing for directional control.

Welding (MIG/wire welding in particular) isn't all that difficult given a little practice and being pointed in the right direction by people who are already experienced with it. Though I strongly suggest that one's first "real" welds be done on something like exhaust rather than something as mission-critical as suspension linkage.

Norm