Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roll Cage in an S197

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 10:37 AM
AmericanSpeed
5th Gear Member

Default Roll Cage in an S197

Whats up fellas,

Just a couple of questions about putting in a roll cage. How much weight do these add to the car? Also, how does it modify the back seat and other interior of the car? Is it fairly unobtrusive that the car can still be daily driven? What kind of costs are typical?

Post pics if you got'em
Thanks
Old 12-09-2008, 10:48 AM
PLstang
5th Gear Member

A 10 point in chrome molly should weigh approx 85lbs. If done right they should be fairly unobtrussive.

Here are a couple pics of mine.

Price was $1,700 installed. However, I had the same guy that builds a lot of SSO chassis around here build and install mine....he ain't cheap.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:50 AM
EagleStroker
5th Gear Member

That looks great. Just curious, at that point, why wouldn't you pull your back seat?
Old 12-09-2008, 11:15 AM
kpaulhus
4th Gear Member

If you had it powdercoated to match the Vista Blue it would look awesome.....wait......the fact that you have enough horsepower in a daily driver that it needs a roll cage is scary lol.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:24 AM
zkiller
4th Gear Member

I had mine built at Hot Rod Chassis. It is a six-point fabricated in chrome moly painted to match the car. I paid 2200 dollars total cost. The quality of the welds and work done was well worth the price.
Why would you want to take out the backseat? It weighs hardly anything.

Old 12-09-2008, 11:26 AM
EagleStroker
5th Gear Member

I was just curious, it's not the weight it's more the fact (not quite so much in a vert) with a cage the backseat seems pretty useless.

And that looks great also!
Old 12-09-2008, 11:53 AM
PLstang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by EagleStroker
That looks great. Just curious, at that point, why wouldn't you pull your back seat?
The back seat is soo easy to pull it wasn't really high on the priority list. Besides it was a lot more fun winning the Clash with a complete 4050lb street car! LOL
Old 12-09-2008, 12:29 PM
Hootna
3rd Gear Member

I put in a 4 point Auto Power and although it is fairly heavy I also installed racing seats at the same time that are alot lighter than the stock seats especially the stock driver side powered seat. I could put my rear seat back in but since no one is going to sit back there with the Harness bar in the way and I am not pulling the bar out since my 4 point harnesses are attached to it and I dont want to eat the windshield it doesnt matter. I would post pics but hey they are in my gallery if you want to check them out.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:33 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

With a cage installed, nobody should be riding in the back seat without wearing a helmet. Too many ways for passengers to bang their heads against some tube (and don't for a moment think that padding will be sufficient to prevent injury or that you'll never have to make an extreme maneuver that tosses somebody's head into a tube).

Norm
Old 12-09-2008, 12:37 PM
AmericanSpeed
5th Gear Member

thanks for all the pics guys, your setups look awesome! I didn't realize how expensive these things get, kind of sucks when you have to spend that kind of money on something that will make your car slower, LOL. but I guess avoiding major bodily injury is worth it glad to see that they aren't very obtrusive

edit: good point Norm, I wasn't worried too much about the backseat capabilities as no one rides back there anyways.

Quick Reply: Roll Cage in an S197