Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 10-22-2015, 06:38 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Water Leaking Inside Car...Emergency!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 10:51 PM
SpongebobGT
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the info on how to fix it. I just feel if it is a defect from the factor and my car is still under warranty, I shouldn't have to fix it. I've also found water in the junction box but so far it hasn't caused any electrical problems. I will see what the have to say tomorrow.
Old 12-17-2008, 03:43 AM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by aircare84
John,
I had a leak behind the pass side inner fenderwell on mine, attached pics. Once I sealed up the inproperly seated grommet, no more issues for me. Did not have the cowl drain issue on mine.

I knew I wasnt going crazy, lol.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:44 AM
SpongebobGT
1st Gear Member

Update#2
I called the dealer this morning and they said they have order a bunch of parts for the car. What that entails, I have know clue. I'll get to keep my rental car for a little while longer.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:16 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by tientran
Open your hood. Look at firewall. You will see two black rubber grommets. Pull them down and water will pour out.

Open your web browser, goto mustang forum . com
search 'water leak' and read all about it.
Most all S197s leak under the glove box.
You SJB is the next item to short out.
Old 12-18-2008, 03:01 PM
SpongebobGT
1st Gear Member

Update#3
Called the dealership today and they said their are still some parts missing that they order. Hopefully, the car will be done tomorrow. I also want to know what kind of parts they are replacing on the car.
Old 12-18-2008, 03:40 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by SpongebobGT
Update#3
Called the dealership today and they said their are still some parts missing that they order. Hopefully, the car will be done tomorrow. I also want to know what kind of parts they are replacing on the car.

Probably the inadiquate or missing cowl mounting clips/hole sealers.
Old 12-18-2008, 04:50 PM
ski
4th Gear Member

FWIW
I found water laying in the passenger's footwell of my 05 S197 last winter after the car was out of warranty. Traced the leak back over the top of the white foam "water deflector" strip that's supposedly designed to protect the SJB from water leakage to an area above the SJB, but could not determine the exact point of entry. The first thing I checked were the 2 black rubber grommets in the firewall. They were clogged with leaves and other debris. I cleaned them out, but the water continued leaking into this same area. So I decided to initially address the issue w/o paying the dealer(or anyone else) to fix it. I thoroughly dried out everything with paper towels and a hairdryer. Pulled the bottom end of the white foam strip up and over the top of the black plastic barrier that covers the SJB, and taped it in place. Rolled up a few paper towels, and wedged them under the SJB plastic barrier directly below the white foam strip. Now when it rains the water flows down the white foam strip, and drips onto the paper towels, which sop up the water and prevent it from soaking into the carpet. I realize it's a Rube Goldberg setup, but it's an extremely inexpensive fix which requires very little effort on my part, and it's keeping the carpet dry and preventing mildew and it's sour odor from forming.

However, one thing that I discovered since last winter is that the paper towels stay bone dry when it rains once the ambient temperature increases into the mid 40's and above(There is also no leakage when I wash the car, which is done only when the temps are the 50's and above.). But once the temps fall below 45 or so, then the towels get wet. So now I check the towels for wetness only when it rains with the temps in the 40's and below.
My theory as to why this is happening is because the sealant is cracked in the seam that's located at the juncture of the A pillar, firewall, door, and fender on the passenger's side. This seam opens when the temps get cold due to the steel contracting, which then allows water from any exterior source to flow into the car's interior. The seam closes when the temps get warmer due to the steel expanding, which then prevents water from entering.
And since the cure for this problem requires more expertise than I have, I just make sure that I always have an adequate supply of paper towels.

Last edited by ski; 12-18-2008 at 05:00 PM.
Old 12-19-2008, 02:17 PM
SpongebobGT
1st Gear Member

Update#4
Got the car back but it is not fixed. They told me after installing a bunch of new parts, it still leaks water. They have had to call Ford about this. They don't know when they will hear back, so they told me to come and get the car. This is an open ticket item now. I can't wait to hear what they are going to do next.
Old 12-20-2008, 11:09 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by SpongebobGT
Update#4
Got the car back but it is not fixed. They told me after installing a bunch of new parts, it still leaks water. They have had to call Ford about this. They don't know when they will hear back, so they told me to come and get the car. This is an open ticket item now. I can't wait to hear what they are going to do next.

Dont let em blame it on your headers....
Old 12-20-2008, 02:37 PM
SpongebobGT
1st Gear Member

So far they have been good to me. I will call them after Christmas break to see what they want to do next.

Quick Reply: Water Leaking Inside Car...Emergency!