Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Royal Purple issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 01:28 PM
loots06
5th Gear Member

Thank good I saw this think I'll go with Mobile 1.
Old 12-12-2008, 02:45 PM
BM83
2nd Gear Member

is the oil level going down? If it is not dropping then chances are that your car is not burning oil.

A byproduct of the reaction in a catalytic convertor is water. It usually appears as steam coming from the exhaust. Sometimes you will be able to see water dripping out. That is what the weep holes in a lot of OEM mufflers are for. Added condensation due to temp and humidity can make the effect of steam seem more extreme.
Old 12-12-2008, 03:03 PM
rford426
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by loots06
Thank good I saw this think I'll go with Mobile 1.
haha your gonna choose that from one threadon a forum ? haha ill go with royal purple like i have been great oil
Old 12-12-2008, 03:29 PM
Bigcha40
2nd Gear Member

well im gonna have to say i think it was steam and i was over reacting "i think its ok to do so when it comes to our motor" but i went outside today it was about 70 degrees and started it up well i sat and waited no smoke/steam went on about a 60 mile drive no smoke/steam so i think im good and i like my RP oil now
Old 12-12-2008, 03:31 PM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by slvrstang2007
A few people have told me not to run the royal purple motor oil, they say all the other RP fluids are good but the oil isn't. I'd stick with mobile1 or if u really wanna take care of your can get some amsoil, that's pretty much the best stuff u can run. Also amsoil makes a race oil (not sure what it's called) it comes in a black bottle, and it has extra zinc for lubrication. We need all the zinc we can get in these motors since it's just a cam inside of an aluminum head, no cam bearings. But that's more for crazy boosted applications me think. I'd say switch back and see what happens, also what color is the smoke?
i herd this too , just go back to moble 1
Old 12-13-2008, 01:49 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

I noticed a good deal more oil consumption with Royal Purple. I love/use their trans/gear oils but motor oils not so sure of.

I'll stick with my grpV motor oil and rely on their syn anti-friction for trans/gear.
Old 12-13-2008, 02:59 PM
mcburns36
2nd Gear Member

RP FTL
Old 12-13-2008, 09:57 PM
ShadyNinja
4th Gear Member

no Royal P for me... I'm plenty happy with my Amsoil 0w20

seen this posted on another site...

Then why isn't Royal Purple API SM rated in the 5W-20, 5W-30 and 10W-30 viscosities? According to the label on the oil bottle itself and their product data sheet, their 5W-20, 5W-30 and 10W-30 are merely API SL rated, which was for 2004 and older automotive engines and not today's engines.
Below is Royal Purple's company provided product data sheet showing the API ratings of their oils, which verifies their old API SL rating -
http://www.royalpurple.com/prod-pdfs/motor-oil-ps.pdf
Below is the American Petroleum Instutue's API oil rating chart -
http://www.api.org/certifications/en..._Oil_Guide.pdf
If you have a 2005 or newer car requiring an API SM motor oil and you were to use Royal Purple's old API SL rated oil in the engine, the O.E. engine warranty can be voided by the vehicle manufacturer?
Why is it that other oil companies have stepped up to the plate and are offering the latest API SM rated motor oils, but not Royal Purple in their 5W-20, 5W-30 and 10W-30 viscosities? Isn't Royal Purple up to snuff? Can't Royal Purple pass the API SM tests, like other oils can?
API SM rated oils are, "For all automotive engines currently in use. Introduced in 2004, SM oils are designed to provide improved oxidation resistance, improved deposit protection, better wear protection, and better low-temperature performance over the life of the oil." - American Petroleum Institute.
So according to the American Petroleum Institute, (API), Royal Purple's API SL rated oils aren't as good as the latest API SM rated oils. Royal Purple's API SL rated oils are now almost 5 years out of date and the benefits of an API SM rated oil over the old API SL rating, "improved oxidation resistance, improved deposit protection, better wear protection and better low temperature performance over the the life of the oil", according to the American Petroleum Institute, don't apply to Royal Purple's API SL rated oils!
Why does Royal Purple recommend their old API SL rated oils to be used in API SM rated applications, i.e. all cars from 2005 and up? Is this deceptive and misleading for motorists who could have their engine warranties voided by using an old API SL rated oil in an API SM application, i.e. in 2005 and later engines?
Are motorists being misled if not all out being scammed by Royal Purple?
Old 12-13-2008, 10:03 PM
Jbauer
4th Gear Member

I dont know why so many stang owners love this stuff. Royal purple is junk, and for the price it's even more horrible.
Look at the analysis of this oil on the web. all it results in is high wear metals and low protection at a high price.
Their motor oil is trash, their Gear oil is trash, their transmission fluid is trash. Royal purple was never intended for use in automobiles in the first place, to my understanding their first purpose was in Nuclear Reactors..Big work..required quality fluid, and they were up to the job. The sad part is they don't fair too well in cars.

As to why it does not meet SM, SL lb for lb has a better additive package. SM is just better base to start with to my understanding. It would take the engineers at RP a while to come up with their own special blend to produce an SM. I'm sure they'll produce an SN when it comes out though.

If you want good quality fluid, buy RedLine. Redline Gear oils, Redline motor oils, Redline transmission fluids are all top of the line high quality fluids. they cost the same as Royal Crap and out perform pretty much everything i'm aware of.
Old 12-14-2008, 12:24 AM
Bigcha40
2nd Gear Member

well im learning alot in this thread, and now im gonna say that this $70 stuff better last 3,000 miles

Quick Reply: Royal Purple issue