Tell us about your HID's - Page 3 - MustangForums.com

Go Back  MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 2005-2014 Mustangs
Reload this Page >

Tell us about your HID's

Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.

Tell us about your HID's

Old 12-12-2008, 09:19 PM
  #21  
doode
3rd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 638
Default

don't you need some sort of special relay /wiring to get the HID's to work?

i remember reading something way back in the day about the SJB messing things up with low voltage....or i may be on crack
doode is offline  
Old 12-12-2008, 09:33 PM
  #22  
roadracer516
1st Gear Member
 
roadracer516's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: California
Posts: 140
Default

Originally Posted by doode View Post
don't you need some sort of special relay /wiring to get the HID's to work?

i remember reading something way back in the day about the SJB messing things up with low voltage....or i may be on crack
This is true on some cars that have light out warning sensors like BMW. This is not a problem on Mustangs. It happens because the HID's dont pull as much power as standard 55w halogen bulbs, the cars with light out sensors think that the light went out because of loss of draw, hence dash warning light problems.
roadracer516 is offline  
Old 12-12-2008, 11:02 PM
  #23  
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!
 
mygt500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Detroit Rock City!
Posts: 15,618
Default

Haven't but will from retro-solutions and the bi-xenon 55W versions!
mygt500 is offline  
Old 12-12-2008, 11:07 PM
  #24  
brabla10
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: TX
Posts: 3
Default

I have an '06 Mustang V6 and just bought a 4300k kit for my fogs and a 4300k bi-xenon kit from stangmods.com. The kits are just sitting at home, and I'm not sure whether to install them (which I really want to do) or send them back. After I bought them, I started reading all kinds of things about them. I thought I had done enough research on them beforehand.

Here are a few things I've read: HIDs are illegal no matter what, unless the car came from the manufacturer as such. The reflector in the stock housing will spread light far too much no matter what, blinding others. Also, although they run at 35w or so, when they start up, they could run up to 100 watts until warmed up fully. This could supposedly lead to major wiring/ electrical malfunctions, maybe costing hundreds to get fixed by a mechanic.

So basically, does anyone have proof/ comments for any of these? Sorry if I hijacked the thread; I could post as a new topic. Thanks.

Last edited by brabla10; 12-12-2008 at 11:17 PM. Reason: Clarification
brabla10 is offline  
Old 12-12-2008, 11:47 PM
  #25  
pat123
3rd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 697
Default

Great questions!
pat123 is offline  
Old 12-13-2008, 09:50 AM
  #26  
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert
 
157dB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: NW Arkansas
Posts: 13,322
Default

Originally Posted by doode View Post
don't you need some sort of special relay /wiring to get the HID's to work?

i remember reading something way back in the day about the SJB messing things up with low voltage....or i may be on crack
Originally Posted by roadracer516 View Post
This is true on some cars that have light out warning sensors like BMW. This is not a problem on Mustangs. It happens because the HID's dont pull as much power as standard 55w halogen bulbs, the cars with light out sensors think that the light went out because of loss of draw, hence dash warning light problems.
No crack smokin here.
I think the S197 Mustang also has headlight filiment monitoring.
I have heard of headlight flashing with aftermarket HIDs that
dont use the proper relay or load the S197 Mustangs lighting circuits
like a traditional filiment bulb. Maybe the newer HIDs have solved
this problem, but it was a problem at one time.
Pull one of your headlight connectors with the headlights on
and see if the SJB does not start flashing the other working
headlight to indicate a burned out headlight bulb.

Originally Posted by brabla10 View Post
Here are a few things I've read: HIDs are illegal no matter what, unless the car came from the manufacturer as such. The reflector in the stock housing will spread light far too much no matter what, blinding others. Also, although they run at 35w or so, when they start up, they could run up to 100 watts until warmed up fully. This could supposedly lead to major wiring/ electrical malfunctions, maybe costing hundreds to get fixed by a mechanic.

So basically, does anyone have proof/ comments for any of these? Sorry if I hijacked the thread; I could post as a new topic. Thanks.
Because there is a ballast involved, you really cant compare a
100W HID to a 100W traditional filiment bulb amperage draw wise.
True HID bulbs actually draw LESS amperage until they are warmed up.
If you use a relay to power the aftermarket HIDs, the amperage
draw and the flashing problems are really not a concern.
As to the OEM non-HID housing throwing all sorts of sideways
light and such blinding oncoming drivers, just think about all
those OEM HID equipped vehicles out there that blind you on
a daily basis. And they use reflectors DESIGNED for HIDs.
I hate HIDs and think they should be banned.
If you need HIDs to be able to see at night, you really need to
be checked for night blindness and shouldnt even be legally
driving after dark. I think the OEM headlights are bright enough.
And dont blind oncoming traffic when properly aimed.
HIDs actually use LESS current for the lumens produced
than any traditional legal filiment headlight bulb normally does.
Key word is Lumens produced. Comparing a 55W HID to a
55W traditional filiment bulb is like comparing apples to oranges.
Yes, they are both round, both will turn rotten over time
and they are both forms of food but are also totally different
in other aspects. Same is true for HIDs and traditional filiment bulbs.
Watts divided by volts gives you amps for a traditional filiment light
bulb. Not the same with HIDs.

Last edited by 157dB; 12-13-2008 at 11:14 AM.
157dB is offline  
Old 12-13-2008, 09:52 AM
  #27  
roadracer516
1st Gear Member
 
roadracer516's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: California
Posts: 140
Default

Originally Posted by brabla10 View Post
I have an '06 Mustang V6 and just bought a 4300k kit for my fogs and a 4300k bi-xenon kit from stangmods.com. The kits are just sitting at home, and I'm not sure whether to install them (which I really want to do) or send them back. After I bought them, I started reading all kinds of things about them. I thought I had done enough research on them beforehand.

Here are a few things I've read: HIDs are illegal no matter what, unless the car came from the manufacturer as such. The reflector in the stock housing will spread light far too much no matter what, blinding others. Also, although they run at 35w or so, when they start up, they could run up to 100 watts until warmed up fully. This could supposedly lead to major wiring/ electrical malfunctions, maybe costing hundreds to get fixed by a mechanic.

So basically, does anyone have proof/ comments for any of these? Sorry if I hijacked the thread; I could post as a new topic. Thanks.
Here is what I know because of personal experience and you voice some very valid concerns. I have personally had aftermarket HID kits on the following: 2003 FJR1300 motorcycle (past and about 50K miles), 2003 VW Passat (past and about 35K miles), 2006 Honda Element (past and about 35K miles), 2004 FJR1300 motorcycle (current and about 12K miles so far), 2006 Mustang GT convertible (currrent and about 3K miles or so). Believe me, if they were going to pose a problem to any of my vehicles, it would be the motorcycles as the charging systems are not made for lots of extra power draws. I have never and I mean never sensed any kind of electrical problems arise in my vehicles and if I did, I would never install one of these kits. I think you are safe with the whole 100w draw thing (I am not a mechanic or an electrician).

You are correct about the beam pattern changing a bit. I have found this to be worse on some vehicles then others. The Mustang seems to be the worse of all the vehicles I have installed kits on, but the extra light and visibility is a thousand times better. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, you need to re adjust your headlights after installing the HID kit. Believe me, other drivers will tell you if you are blinding them and I have them adjusted now and never get shot a bright from oncoming traffic, not do I see my headlights in the reaview mirrors of people I follow. I believe you are correct that they are illegal either way, I have never had a problem with the law on any of my vehicles. Hope that helps.
roadracer516 is offline  
Old 12-14-2008, 01:53 AM
  #28  
doode
3rd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 638
Default

Originally Posted by 157db View Post
No crack smokin here.
I think the S197 Mustang also has headlight filiment monitoring.
I have heard of headlight flashing with aftermarket HIDs that
dont use the proper relay or load the S197 Mustangs lighting circuits
like a traditional filiment bulb. Maybe the newer HIDs have solved
this problem, but it was a problem at one time.
Pull one of your headlight connectors with the headlights on
and see if the SJB does not start flashing the other working
headlight to indicate a burned out headlight bulb.
So if i pull the headlight and one flickers, then i need this?

http://www.stangmods.com/2005-Mustan...y-p/00892h.htm
doode is offline  
Old 12-14-2008, 08:20 AM
  #29  
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member
 
Goldenpony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location:
Posts: 3,184
Default HID

I have the Retro-Solutions 35W 6000K BiXenon kit and couldn't be happier. I have a very nice cutoff and in a year of driving have yet to be "flashed" by another oncoming driver.
My '06 has the black "hat" shield over the end of the bulb. If your car doesn't have this, you should just request the option where they coat the end of the bulb.
I like the fact that Retro-Solutions gives a lifetime warranty on their kit.
The improvment over the stock halogens is dramatic. I would never go back. The people that come on these forums and trash conversions just simply don't know what they are talking about. Maybe some of the Ebay conversions are junk, but the kits from Retro-Solutions are first class.
Goldenpony is offline  
Old 12-14-2008, 09:34 AM
  #30  
5SPD07GT
Official Site Sponsor
 
5SPD07GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: WV
Posts: 4,532
Default

stangmods.com dual beam kit. 6000k. no problems whatsoever. have had the kit for almost a year. Matt at stangmods was awesome to deal with as always. no problems with blinding people. one of the best things i ever bought for the car
5SPD07GT is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tell us about your HID's


Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.